Turbo LPG Questions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Turbo LPG Questions
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

SA, Australia

hey guys, i'm just doing some research into turbos and LPG and i've got a few questions:

1. will any converter support having a boost reference or balance line when you use a blow-thru setup or is it only particular ones?

2. i've noticed with my mates turbo skyline (it doesn't have a cooler or BOV) that after he gives it a decent rev, quite a bit of air comes back out past the compressor wheel (the rush of air that causes flutter). So if i was to have a draw-thru LPG turbo setup, wouldn't that mean that LPG would be blown back out my intake (ie. dangerous)? I then thought of using a BOV to releive pressure but then i've still got LPG/air mix coming out the BOV with no-where for it to go (certainly not atmo).

3. is it dangerous to have LPG going through the compressor housing in a draw-thru setup? ie. being inches away from a glowing red exhaust won't make it explode will it?

4. finally (i'm pretty sure the answer to this will be no but...) i read on the gas research website that they won't guarantee their TBs for use in blow-thru applications (although people have used them like that) so they suggest using them in a draw-thru setup, HOWEVER they only mention superchargers when they say this... having your TB on the intake of a turbo won't work will it? when you back off oil will be sucked through the oil seal and/or the compressor will cavitate, right?

thanks in advance
Slabz

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You won't have the LPG exploding just because it runs through the turbo, but it will far from benefit you, you should fit a intercooler and using a suck through setup means you will have a great potential for a large explosion if a back fire occurs due, which is fairly common.

Blow through works and is easy to setup compared to suck through, the main difference to standard setup is you will need positive pressure from intake to the converter's balance/breather inlet, otherwise a blow through setup won't work.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I've got a PoliAuto converter (Italian) and i'm pretty sure that this is the hose that lets air from the diaphragm out (the hose just dumps to atmo atm). Would this be the hose that i need to hook onto my intake to serve as a balance line / boost reference??

btw, cheers for the reply damage

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Slabz wrote:
I've got a PoliAuto converter (Italian) and i'm pretty sure that this is the hose that lets air from the diaphragm out (the hose just dumps to atmo atm). Would this be the hose that i need to hook onto my intake to serve as a balance line / boost reference??

btw, cheers for the reply damage

Yep That is the one.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

too easy :P

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]