Fordmods Logo

Turbo or not Turbo....that is the question! :) 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Turbo or not Turbo....that is the question! :)
Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:05 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA MKII XR6T Rapid Yellow

QLD, Australia

Hi all,
Just wondering if someone out there can give me some advice?.
I have been offered a 2004 BA xr6T(auto) for $14,000 but it has 160,000 kms on the clock, it has a complete service history and has only had the 1 female owner who works for a ford dealership, it sits tough as on 20inch chromeys and lowered springs, the body is straight and the paint is good. Does this sound like a good buy as im abit worried about the amount of kms the motor has done and the strenth and performance of the sports shift transmission.
Any advice, good/bad points would be really appriecated,
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Turbo or not Turbo....that is the question! :)
Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Unless its lowered beyond specs?? It should be fine..
Take it for a drive, check blowby, brake rotor thickness etc..
It doesn't cost much to fit what you think are better springs, ride height anyway..
My Mrs drives our car to work also.. Then I take it to track days on the wekend.. :lol:

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: SERIES 2 FAIRMONT GHIA

WA, Australia

i suggest you go for a ride in someones turbo falcon and the answer becomes crystal clear..

BOOST!!!!.

aint nothing like it..

15 PSI OF BOOSTED GHIA GOODNESS!!!

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:09 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
Unless its lowered beyond specs?? It should be fine..
Take it for a drive, check blowby, brake rotor thickness etc..
It doesn't cost much to fit what you think are better springs, ride height anyway..
My Mrs drives our car to work also.. Then I take it to track days on the wekend.. :lol:

Thanks mate, Im prob gunna take it for a drive this weekend, i guess im abit paranoid about the motor she says that its never been thrashed, and its easy to believe her but i guess its a gamble on any 2nd hand car you buy. The lowered springs are within the legal height it just looks heaps lower cause of the 20's :) so theres no prob there, how does the price sound to you?, i also dont know much about the sports shift part of the tranmission ie.. reliability and performance?

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:20 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

low ghia wrote:
i suggest you go for a ride in someones turbo falcon and the answer becomes crystal clear..

BOOST!!!!.

aint nothing like it..

Yeah mate i know what u mean, i took a 2005 xr6T 6sp man, for a test drive the other day and i couldnt get the smile off my face :) thats what has got this whole ball rolling, i definately am getting one but need some advice to make sure i get a good one. How does the kms and price sound to u and should i be worried about the reliability/lifespan of the motor/transmission with high kms like that, or are they resonably strong, thanks for the reply mate

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

screw the turbo

for that $$ i'd get a low km AUIII XR8 auto, with exhaust/tint/4.11's/rims would make the perfect cruiser

eg: AUIII XR8.... $15,000...... 99,000km's

HERE

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

But ugly is but ugly.

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

yeah they might take a awhile to get used to, but the b-series are boring as s**t imo

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

shaun078 wrote:
low ghia wrote:

BOOST!!!!.

aint nothing like it..

Yeah mate i know what u mean, i took a 2005 xr6T 6sp man, for a test drive the other day and i couldnt get the smile off my face :) thats what has got this whole ball rolling, i definately am getting one but need some advice to make sure i get a good one. How does the kms and price sound to u and should i be worried about the reliability/lifespan of the motor/transmission with high kms like that, or are they resonably strong, thanks for the reply mate

If it hasn't had the diff bush replaced, get that done before you buy it. Has the box been replaced yet? If not, stay away as it will not last long. One of my mates had his gearbox blow at 80000k's, and 104ord had his box go at around 125000.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:40 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

If you guys stop thrashing the s**t out of your cars and drive normally the box is fine. Why have i done 90kays in my T and have had no auto problems. It makes me wonder what you guys are doing to be killing autos. Any thing will break if its mistreated. This chick that wants to sell the car has 160 kays on the auto and its still going. I cant understand how they go early if the auto is serviced and not continually thrashed. Mind you i drive my car hard but not everyday.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If the auto is kitted ?? Then chances are its been serviced..Btw a kitted auto actually makes them more robust.. The quicker the change the easier it is on bands etc..
I would fit a larger trans cooler..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

Taxis get 450 000 to 500 000 out of the autos before they need replacing so I can't see why uz r saying 80 000 jeeeezzzz...
Oh and by the way a au with 500kw is still a au.. Get the ba or if not I've seen plenty of ba turbs with around 100 thou on the clock go for 17 or 18 so spend the extra dosh and get the big girl...

If it were a e series with 160 on the clocjk every one would be sayin what a great buy

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

james88 wrote:
Taxis get 450 000 to 500 000 out of the autos before they need replacing so I can't see why uz r saying 80 000 jeeeezzzz...
Oh and by the way a au with 500kw is still a au.. Get the ba or if not I've seen plenty of ba turbs with around 100 thou on the clock go for 17 or 18 so spend the extra dosh and get the big girl...

If it were a e series with 160 on the clocjk every one would be sayin what a great buy

Dude, BA Boxes are weak. taxi's are getting about 3-400k out of a box, because they get serviced every 25000k's

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

What yrs did they have the better boxes.. Did it change in the late ba or is it just bfs

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA MKII Fairlane GHIA

VIC, Australia

i lost 1st gear in my ba at 110,xxx and was told it is very common to need a rebuild at tht stage as the internals are very weak... also b-series boys drive your cars in sports mode the tranny is more reliable when the comp isnt shifting it automatically

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next