Fordmods Logo

turbo race car 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: turbo race car
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

howdys guys i have a te cortina dirt ciruit race car, with a el 4ltr, its stock with a 500 holley and camtech stage 3 cam, its now the off season and i have decided to upgrade a bit and turbo it so far what i have is.

garrett gt3540 1.06ar, tiall 44 wastegate, snort log manifold, boschs fuel pumps 044, surge tank, malpassi reg 1.1,

i still need a computer and injectors, but havent decided what comp to run with yet so im gonna wait and use the cash for the motor side and leave the comp for last,
i cant decide weather to run a set of forged ba pistons and rods, or just stick with the orginal plan which was to fully prep my bottom end, crack test, shootpeen, balance etc, with a set off ea forges. have the head played with chambers etc, au steel gasket maybe 2, my aim is for 270-280kw atw max, what ever can get with about 15psi boost, thats plenty for me as we race on dirt traction is still a problem.

also what comes with a brand new garrett turbo when you buy it, all i got was a box with a turbo in it, nothing to say what size oil and water lines etc to use, no flange gasket, thought they would of come with some sort of info was brought from horsepower in a box.

what injectors should i be looking for high or low are them delphi ones on ebay any good.
cheers phill.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

also would the camtech stage 3 billet be anygood for turbo setup.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

turbos come bare bones like you said... just a turbo, with a tag that says to align the housing and torque the comp cover bolts..

your injectors need to match your ecu, some ecu have high or low drivers, some, like the autronic are software configureable so any injector can be driven by the same driver... you need to plan the injectors and ecu together. afaik the ecus that have the specific drivers are easily changeable with a hardware change inside the ecu??

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

boosted22 wrote:
also would the camtech stage 3 billet be anygood for turbo setup.

whats the specs? with tight LSA and overlap you'll just be bleeding off the boost, possibly slowing spool, or just making less power than what you would if using a turbo cam, any cam will work with turbo.

http://www.TURBO351.com

2V 351T, 732rwhp@15psi on LPG.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ltd351T wrote:
whats the specs? with tight LSA and overlap you'll just be bleeding off the boost, possibly slowing spool.

how??? i see people saying this all the time

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You want a cam with 112 to 114 LSA
Gives a wider power band with little or no overlap...
A cam is not the power making device as they are with N/A engines...
They like plenty of lift and some have reverse pattern cam.. Mine is ... Less duration on exhaust than inlet...
42 Lb injectors and EMS Stinger or 8860 work ok...
You don't require low impedance till your over 65 Lb ....For dirt and insatant throttle responce I'd have 9.0 to 1 compression and about 8 to 12 Lb boost...The higher comp will limit max power levels but will work well for your power levels...
http://www.turbomustangs.com/turbotech/ ... m#turbocam
IMO I'd use the longer AU rods.. That way the better pistons can be used....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

ebs_4l wrote:
ltd351T wrote:
whats the specs? with tight LSA and overlap you'll just be bleeding off the boost, possibly slowing spool.

how??? i see people saying this all the time

pumping losses, both valves are open, any cam will work, but tight lobes and lotsa overlap you'll need more boost.

intake biased cams can help spool, others hurt it, big intake duration you blow boost out the exhaust, increasing requirement of wastegate flow

when turbo you dont need the huge cam, like graham said the cam doesnt mean much, I think of it like it will determine where the power is made, rather than how much.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:02 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

thanks for the feedback, still havent decided what comp to run il just wait till got all the money there and decide then, im currently inquiring about some 600cc high imp injectors, sent me head off monday having that ported and polished, chambers played with and polished so should help with comp a bit, il try post up some specs of my cam i, i dont understand all this lobe sep and all that, it will be a bummer after forking out that much i cant use it any more, got my snort manifold today looks good, the waste gate mount needs some fine tunnimng but should be all good, seems like a lot of weight there with the manifold, turbo, waste gate etc, and that hanging of 12 little bolts hey. do yous go for some high tensile bolts when fitting.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:23 am 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

best to use studs, not for any perceived gain in clamping forces, just because it makes fitting the manifold easier.

I'd run what cam you have, and see how it goes.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

trying to get together some lines anyone know what size are the oil and water line you use, oil feed line cant be too big or lets too much oil in is that right, is it about 1/4 npt.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

on a gt35 the oil feed is 1/8SAE or JIC, but i beleive its SAE? been a long long time since i got mine, also, -3 oil feed is an ok size

coolant threads are M14x1.5, use -6 hose

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:10 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

ebs_4l wrote:
on a gt35 the oil feed is 1/8SAE or JIC, but i beleive its SAE? been a long long time since i got mine, also, -3 oil feed is an ok size

coolant threads are M14x1.5, use -6 hose

cheers will start looking

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

weres the best place for me to run my water lines for the turbo, in and out, i can feed one of the thermostat housing, would this be the feed or return, were should i run the other one from, should i have a fitting welded on the water pump were the hole is from the what i guess was the heater hose cheers.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

just run it in parallel from wherever the heater hoses run, basically just hook it up too the heater hoses

oil feed as said -3 or so
drain- as big as you can. 3/4 is good.

Post subject: update
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

howdy guys just thought i would share a update, on the turbo build,, just got the head back today, had a big port and polish, chamber opened up a bit and polished looks good, so far parts i have are

el big ported and polished head
garrett gt35/40 ceramic coated 1.06 rear turbo
tial 44 wastegate
snort log manifold
1.5 surge tank. bosch 044/ 040 pumps, malpassi reg, ems dual sport comp which still needs a new loom but i may upgrade if i can get the cash, at the moment im saving for a set of ba forged pistons and rings, then save again to have the whole bottom end treated and built by a desecnt builder, then save again to finsh off the other stuff, injectors, computer, dyno, water to air setup, gonna install a accusump as well.
i just hate this saving part its slowing me build down haha.

Last edited by boosted22 on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next