TURBO TIMER HOOK UP ON BA 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: TURBO TIMER HOOK UP ON BA
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:05 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA Turbo

QLD, Australia

HELP

Can anyone give me full details on how to hook up turbo timer on a 2003 BA XR6 Turbo manual.

It is a GReddy Full Auto Timer (model ? GAT77688) think by Trust , it has performance timers for accelleration and distance, as well as braking.
I purchased from autobarn about 6mths ago for another project that didn't happen.

Main plug has :

1 large red wire
1 green
1 blue
1 black

Also small plug for handbrake:

1 brown
1 purple

And 1 grey wire with round female connector

I have a fairly good idea of where to connect but Iam worried about if it will affect security system or ecu.
Also worried if it cause's a electrical fire.

If nobody can help me with this maybe you might know someone on Brisbane southside that can fit it at a good price for me.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6t

NSW, Australia

This was discussed on www.fordxr6turbo.com not long ago. Everyone pretty much said the turbo timer side of things is useless on the ba because of the turbo being water cooled and ball bearing, or something like that, so you would really only be using it for the performance timers. Sorry i couldnt help with your question though.

Rides:
-Ba xr6t, wog cooler, K&N pod on custom intake, battery moved to other side, flash, custom cooler piping, presons auto, car pc, 19" lenso speed 6, going for 300rwkw
-FZR 250- run around bike

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

@pkr: I have the same turbo timer (GReddy Full Auto Timer), i think that model code you stated is actually a serial number, mine is GAT35285. I'm looking for the ignition wire colours to hook mine up, not for the turbo timer feature, but for the realtime speed display, RPM display, speed alert, 400m timer etc.

As for how to wire it up, i'm with you on this one pkr, and if i find anything i will let you know!

Last edited by fordman351 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Toyota Supra RZ

VIC, Australia

Yeah as above.

Water cooled turbo = turbo timer is a bit redundant.

That and i think the ba's will have some swanky security and i dunno if a simple turbo timer will get around it?

Having said that i've been in a ba once and dont know a whole lot about em :P

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Guys the question is not "should he put a turbo timer on his BA'. he has clearly already decided to and bought one, what he wants help with is hooking it up!

But still, the BA will run fine with a turbo timer - my half brothers does. And having the car idle for a while before turning off is never going to be a bad thing, so there's absolutely no negitive side to fitting the timer, regardless of weather it's needed/required or not.

pkr - there's a thread on here about ba workshop manuals, find it and there's a link to a pdf file of the genuine manual, might find wiring diagrams in there that will aid you!

Post subject: timer
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Thanks guys

Yeh I know all about the oil cooled, but don't think they are water cooled?

as twr7cx said I do already have one, I did originally buy it for my EF XR6 that I was going to turbo.

Anyway I like the Idea of allowing a turbo car to cool down before shutting off, not only for sake of turbo but whole car.

Have you ever seen a turbo and manifold glow red than white hot when being hammered.
All that heat can't be good to just shut off engine, for one oil around turbo bearing can carbon up and still cause bearing failure not to mention any warpage by cooling to quick like on a winter night, and rubber seal sitting still on glowing hot metal.

I have a BA manual on disk but I just don't want to hook up to ignition wire to find out that it just crashed or fried ecu or something else expensive.

If I get no answers from someone who has successfully fitted one I may just hook up for the G timers or lump out for auto elect to hook up.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

pkr, yes, we have all seen a turbo manifold glowing red, mine will only do it after some serious throttle/boost pulls, let me ask you this though, have you ever stopped somewhere and popped the bonnet to find your turbo glowing?? OTHER than deliberatly flogging it and quickly stopping for a look??

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

Okay this will only help "E-Series Falcons" out, but i have found the ignition wiring colours for anyone who wants to know (thanks to 'fairmont4me'). Most turbo timers (i think) will require these wires.

Constant power.......Yellow
Ignition...................Red (Green trace)
Starter trigger.........Small Red (Blue trace)
Accessories.............Black (Yellow trace)

Post subject: Has anyone fitted a turbo timer to their BA XR6T
Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:27 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

[quote="ebs_4l"]pkr, yes, we have all seen a turbo manifold glowing red, mine will only do it after some serious throttle/boost pulls, let me ask you this though, have you ever stopped somewhere and popped the bonnet to find your turbo glowing?? OTHER than deliberatly flogging it and quickly stopping for a look??[/quote]

No I don't get out and look at it after givivg it a flogging it but the point I was making is they do get very hot and it can't be good to just turn em off while they are hot, weather they are ball bearing , oil cooled or what eva. Even worst for non BB turbo.

The turbo I was describbing was on a turbo rx3 rotory in burnout comp, I seen it twice do it and both times if caught fire.
I know my turbo is not going to get anywhere near same temp as that rice burner as I don't intend on using it for burnout comps where you do have limited cooling due to being near stationary.

Back on topic has anyone fitted a turbo timer to their BA XR6 Turbo?

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:49 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

i know u have decided to fit it but i can confirm BA turbos are water and oil fed/cooled...

Post subject: timer
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:27 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

I have decided not to worry about fitting it as it may affect security system or ecu functions.

I will just let idle down for 1 - 2 minute's before turning it off if giving it a bit of workout.

Or just drive it sedately for a few minutes before I park and shut down.

Anyone wont a brand new never fitted timer cost me $169 from autobarn.

Just give me offers and I will think about selling it.

It has performance timers as well accelleration & de-accelleration, 0-60 , 0-100, 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile ? etc I havn't manual infront of me but if need full options I will post night when I get home from work as havn't time right now.
It will come with full english manual which I had to down load and print as when I bought it every thing was in asian bar the unit.

Iam just going to buy a G Tech RR or G Tech SS, easy hook up don't have to worry about interferring with any vehicle system functions.

If anyone can get me a good deal on this let me know please.

Post subject: Re: timer
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

pkr wrote:
I have decided not to worry about fitting it as it may affect security system or ecu functions.

If fitted properly it definately does not effect it, many BA's have them, including my brothers XR6T, his came wiht it already fitted.

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ba wagon

VIC, Australia

try this link if you want to fit your turbo timer http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbportal/m ... cle&id=352

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xf ute

NSW, Australia

they are oil cooled i no this because my oil lines blocked up:)
i got my ba turbo and it already had a timer fitted, basic 1-3-5min wiring looked pretty simple but the timer your talkin about might be worth gettin!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]