Fordmods Logo

Turbo water line routing 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Turbo water line routing
Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:09 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

For turbo water cooling, I usually run a line from the suction side (low pressure side return line) of the water pump. A hole can be tapped in the water pump neck or a fitting brazed on the pipe on the back of the water pump.

For the high pressure side (supply side) I tap into the lower half of the thermostat housing and run a line around the head onto the turbo side of the engine.

I think The BA to FGs also do it this way.

I want to neaten up the long hose/pipe for the high pressure side and was thinking to drill and tap a hole in the block just behind the water pump and this would put me right into the high pressure side of the pump. Then screw in a fitting and then it would be a short hose to the turbo.

I drilled a hole in a scrap block (on that rounded bit) and there was plenty of meat to do this.

From my analysis on the water flows, this would give the turbo much cooler water (water taken after its been thru the radiator instead of after its been thru the whole engine).

I just want to run this past the forum to see whether anyone can see if there are any problems that I may have overlooked in running the lines this way before I go drilling the block.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

i think is a good idea, its coolest water so it can only be a good thing.

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Wouldn't tapping into the impeller side of the block reduce flow to the engine?

I mean, you'd pressurize water and return it back to the pump within within seconds.

Also

If you must have the coolest water, how about have a return line aimed at the upper thermostat housing instead of the return side of the pump? This way the radiator can do its job.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The v8 we have them off the rear EGR coolant fittings, turbo to header tank..
On the EB/AU turbo we have a T off the hose from rear of water pump, turbo and outlet goes to header tank.
Due to header tank being much higher we figured the turbine would have coolant saturation all the time.. Don't requre alot of coolant but needs to be there always, no vapour locks..
I most cases when centre fails from over heating it can be from too rich and retarded tune .. Safe for engine but hell on turbines.. Rich and retarded spark burns fuel in turbine which can create too much heat.. Stuff's cats also..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:27 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

I think the flow to the engine would be reduced minimally. The connections are only 8mm in diameter but it is a valid point.

Its not that I am after the coolest water. I just want to simplify the routing of the hose and make it neater.

The route of the water can be confusing but I am quite sure that the lower thermostat housing is a high pressure point. This then supplies already hot water to the turbo and it returns to the neck of the water pump which is a low pressure point.

I dont think you can have a return line going to any side of the thermostat housing (I may be wrong)

Krytox wrote:
Wouldn't tapping into the impeller side of the block reduce flow to the engine?

I mean, you'd pressurize water and return it back to the pump within within seconds.

Also

If you must have the coolest water, how about have a return line aimed at the upper thermostat housing instead of the return side of the pump? This way the radiator can do its job.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:44 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

I've seen people T off the header tank line that runs off the top of the thermostat cover.
The only issue I have with this is that when the engine is cold, the thermostat is closed and then there is no or little water flow when the engine is cold.

I pulled off both lines to the header tank when the engine was running and there was no flow when the engine was cold.

I then unscrewed the temp sender from the lower thermostat housing and there was heaps of pressure indicating that you gotta factor into the thermostat when working this thing out.

Another factor is thermosyphoning during engine shutdown. I am trying to workout whether this should play a part somewhere.

I am not doing this from a turbo reliability aspect as I have never had this problem. Its just making the routing of the lines neater and easier.

EBXR8380 wrote:
The v8 we have them off the rear EGR coolant fittings, turbo to header tank..
On the EB/AU turbo we have a T off the hose from rear of water pump, turbo and outlet goes to header tank.
Due to header tank being much higher we figured the turbine would have coolant saturation all the time.. Don't requre alot of coolant but needs to be there always, no vapour locks..
I most cases when centre fails from over heating it can be from too rich and retarded tune .. Safe for engine but hell on turbines.. Rich and retarded spark burns fuel in turbine which can create too much heat.. Stuff's cats also..

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:22 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

after a bit of thought i think I am going to abandon the idea of tapping a coolant line on the pressure side just behind the water pump.

Probably the only reason being is that due to the impella being in that location, the water would be full of air from the thrashing. Then the line to the turbo would be a mixture of bubbly water.

This is the only reason I can think not to put it there.

Otherwise I think Ford would have located it there.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

dont youtjust t piece ibto the heater line and return it to the overflow bottle

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:47 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

I dont think this would work. The flow of the water on the heater line is from the thermostat housing, around the back of the block, to the back of the water pump.

So if you do it this way I would say that you are trying to suck water out of the overflow bottle, thru the turbo then into the neck of the water pump.

I cant see it working, but I could be wrong. When analysung these things it helps to try it out on the engine to double check flow with clear tubing.

james88 wrote:

Turbo 6s rule

Post subject: Re: Turbo water line routing
Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: SERIES 2 FAIRMONT GHIA

WA, Australia

turbotrana wrote:
For turbo water cooling, I usually run a line from the suction side (low pressure side return line) of the water pump. A hole can be tapped in the water pump neck or a fitting brazed on the pipe on the back of the water pump.

For the high pressure side (supply side) I tap into the lower half of the thermostat housing and run a line around the head onto the turbo side of the engine.

I think The BA to FGs also do it this way.

I want to neaten up the long hose/pipe for the high pressure side and was thinking to drill and tap a hole in the block just behind the water pump and this would put me right into the high pressure side of the pump. Then screw in a fitting and then it would be a short hose to the turbo.

I drilled a hole in a scrap block (on that rounded bit) and there was plenty of meat to do this.

From my analysis on the water flows, this would give the turbo much cooler water (water taken after its been thru the radiator instead of after its been thru the whole engine).

I just want to run this past the forum to see whether anyone can see if there are any problems that I may have overlooked in running the lines this way before I go drilling the block.

thats exactly the way my mechanic did it in my turbo conversion... no problems what so eva and the temp sits in the same place as it did when it was n/a.. ive got the standard temp guage in the cluster and a autometer and they have identical readings...

15 PSI OF BOOSTED GHIA GOODNESS!!!

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

james88 wrote:

ive seen alot of cars done this way, i dont like that way but they never seem to have an issue.

there is even a few cars getting around with the over flow line from the top thermostat housing to the tank and they have just by passed that thru the turbo, seems like a bad idea also because there is very little coolant flow thru there, but they don't seem to have an issue ether

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

There seems to be a lot of good ideas, and it is down to whatever is easiest. For me, i am not worried, as i will fab what ever is needed to have it done right.

As i have custom heater pipes, i am going to tee off the one from the back of the water pump, as it is water that has come from the radiator, and as my rad is aluminium, it is fairly cool, especially when driving on the highway, then back to the header tank, which i will have to get off my bum and make when i put new garrett on.

Cheers

8-) Daz 8-)

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i only said t piece from the hose in the heater line and run it back to the turbo then return it to the overflow bottle because that is thie way a mechanic from kpm motorsport did my mates ute. i was just going to copy his way for mine which i am doing myself

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

plus the turbo's supplied from snort need very litt;e cooling

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

james88 wrote:
plus the turbo's supplied from snort need very litt;e cooling

Haha

Who told you that?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next