Fordmods Logo

Turboing Forte 

Page 2 of 5 [ 62 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:36 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

AUIIForte wrote:
yeah thats all cool, and insurance is covered by having the car under my dads name, so they think a 50 year old man is driving it,

You will still have to inform your insurance company about the turbo and ALL other mods e.g. intercooler, computer, injectors, manifold, exhaust.

Also which insurance company are you with? The only company i know that will touch anyone under 25 with a turbo car is Just Cars and thier policy is that the youngest driver must be listed as the main policy holder.

You better check this out first, i have tried all these avenues trying to insure a 200sx/EB Turbo under my parents name with me as a listed driver, but no company will do it. Thus Just Cars is your only resort and if go that route you cannot insure under parents name, good luck!

1996 5spd EF2 XR6 - Genuine AJR's, full kit........

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AUII Forte

ACT, Australia

frd_xr6 wrote:
AUIIForte wrote:
yeah thats all cool, and insurance is covered by having the car under my dads name, so they think a 50 year old man is driving it,

You will still have to inform your insurance company about the turbo and ALL other mods e.g. intercooler, computer, injectors, manifold, exhaust.

Also which insurance company are you with? The only company i know that will touch anyone under 25 with a turbo car is Just Cars and thier policy is that the youngest driver must be listed as the main policy holder.

You better check this out first, i have tried all these avenues trying to insure a 200sx/EB Turbo under my parents name with me as a listed driver, but no company will do it. Thus Just Cars is your only resort and if go that route you cannot insure under parents name, good luck!
My dad just tells them that its his car, so it doesnt make a difference... just tell your perants to resign the insurance contract into their name, so the insurance company think its your perants car. Thats what my dad did, and its fine... So i just pay my dad what i owe him for the insurance, and its all good

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

That may work, but you would have to make sure that someone younger (like yourself) is allowed to drive it. There will be a huge excess, but if you're allowed to drive it and would be insured to drive it, then by all means. It might work for you.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

Quick run down without the bs.

Lowering (Suspension) $650-1000
Brake Upgrade (required if you want a engineers certificate) $1000-1800.
Turbo Setup 7k+ as mentioned

Along with other bits and pieces you will always need.. its not a cheap option, and how long have u been driving to think you need that sort of power?

Naturally aspirated is always an option and gives u that sleeper engine bay look on top of it

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

yep, just car will base the insurance on the youngest driver listed... thats you at 17. another thing with just car is they wont do much in the way of agreed value. Mines comp insured for a value of only 5500, but only costs me $980. Shannons will cover it at an agreed value of 10 000, for $1348, but it must be engineered, so I have to stick with just car till its engineered... 3 weeks to go till its engineered, so it lives in my garage and rarley comes out :cry:

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Is it true that Shannons wont insure anyonme under 25?
Can you pay by the month with them either?

Dave

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

shannons pay by the month, just car dont. Dunno about age but they ask you some very unusually questions about your driving history/ skills and whats done to your car. shannons is mainly for mature car freaks... they dont do kids

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

in regards to fuzion
no offence mate but just because someone has only been driving "legally" for 2 years doesnt make them inferior IE: if they want more power then go for it but if they crash its their problem, same as anyone else...
im not lookin for a fight but im 17 and half way thru turboing my xf and im doin it because i feel i want that power...
im not a d***head thats gonna go smashin round a suburban area but i want it to race the car (when i eventually get a driveline to cop the punishment)
this may not be the case for everyone... some people might just want the turbo to say they have a turbo falcon (gotta admitt it sounds pretty phat)
others might be "street racers" and should be driving some sort of ricer
and some might simply want it to beet VL turbos
if this bloke wants to turbo his au and has the cash who are you to say he "is too young"
fair enough you might have more experience than him but other people have more experience than you and other people have more experience than other people ...
there is no set age to say "hey this guy can have a powerful car coz he is this old"
once again im not lookin for a fight i just dont like it when people think that young drivers are all bad!!! granted a lot are but not all
cheers sorry if i have offended anyone (not my intention)

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks Chef,
I'll try and give them a call soon, just thought i'd ask before i totally waste my time calling them.
I guess i am still a kid at 21 (nearly 22) but so far (touch wood) i haven't had one speeding fine or any infringement.
I like having power, but i know when i can use it, and its safe to do so.
Thanks for the info anyway.

Dave

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AUII Forte

ACT, Australia

spack-pilot, your right on with that, thanks mate ;)... My reason for turboing my Forte is because im sick of how slow it is... ive been driving it for almost 2 years, but i drive it everyday, and heaps everyday, and ive gotten used to the power of my car. I also travel most mornings to school with a full car, and 2 of the guys are really really fat lol, so i need that extra power.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Haha, thats a good one!
I need the extra power cause i give a ride to two heavy people!
The reason you want the power doesn't have to be explained to anyone.
Hell i don't even really know why i want the power i'm gonna try and get...

Dave

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

i wasnt lookin to start an argument between anyone (hasnt happened yet but it might)
i just cop s**t for turboing my car IE:
its a watse of money
your to inexperienced
why do you want that
where are you gonna use the power
blaa blaa blaa
i know where and when i will use it
im not doin it to make money!!!
i want it!!!
shmeh i hope all goes well with your cars guys and trust me ebay is the place to shop!!! its soo good !!! LOL
cheers
by the way i would love to see how an AU goes with a filthy great big turbo (or two) hanging off the side mmmmmm i can just imagine!!!
AWESOME
anyway cheers

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: eb falcon s series 2

NSW, Australia

i think what fuz was meaning is. turbo is a big step

why not do Na mods

cam/exhaust/intake

that will add 20-30kw@ wheels i beleive

also way less hasle to install and insure and maintain and everything. its still a massive jump in power that will be VERY noticable.
if u go all out on a turbo u wont have anything to look forward to if ya get what i mean... ull have a cool car now but u will have to spend big bucks to get something faster again when ur turbz is slow.

cheers
bent

‮‮

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:26 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

slightly off topic, shannons will NOT TOUCH any car if it's being driven by someone under 25... I wanted to insure the sprint with them (because NO ONE else would give me an agreed value anywhere NEAR it's market value).
My mum rang up, to get the policy in her name with me as a nominated driver. Shannons refused to even give her a quote, instead asking questions such as "so how long have you driven fords for?" (The first car I remember in my family is a mildly worked 4spd 302 XE Fairmont Ghia) and "are you in a car club?".
When she replied no to the car club question the representative said "well I'll give you the number to AAMI.."
And now back on topic...
I doubt fuzion was specifically saying "you're to young", I think he meant more along the lines of, as this is your first car (I assume), ease yourself into it a bit...

EL XR8 wrote:
Hell i don't even really know why i want the power i'm gonna try and get...

Pat *has* put on a bit of weight :D

P.S. If any ones got a recommendation for an insurance company, please PM me

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

PM me too! Now that shannons wont do under 25's Im struggling getting my car insured! :(

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next