Fordmods Logo

Turboing Forte 

Page 1 of 5 [ 62 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Turboing Forte
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:07 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AUII Forte

ACT, Australia

hey guys and gals... im thinking of putting on a turbo on my AUII forte, trying to make a sleeper...I dont have all the money in the world, but i do have a bit, and i was wondering what type of kit would i be looking at, and what type of power (rwkw) do u think i would be getting. I have no mods done to the engine, because i dont know whether i should go NA or Turbo yet... any help would be sweet

(also, whats the avarage price for a good turbo kit that will make a good difference?)

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Total package you are looking at $7k from i/c to ecu....All doesn't have to be done at once though...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

money = power, the more money, the more power. It depends on how much you want to spend. Once you reach the first limit of about 6k, then you need to start looking at things like injectors, and ecu. After that, you reach the next stage where youll need to do engine work, and things like that.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:37 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

:O new turbo laws?
you'll have to get it engineered, and yeah insurance will be... painful... :P but if you got tha moneys, go for it.
A forte sleeper would be awesome
a good place to look actually is
http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=78191
it's a long read, but well worth it.
Also check out all the guys who've done turbo build-ups here on fordmods

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: eb falcon s series 2

NSW, Australia

lol.

u going the gook approach now d***head?

that aside its about 7k for anything decent

but then ull need to upgrade all sorts of other s**t or ull keep going through parts.

also why not just do exhaust cam n intake, thats plenty enough for u to smash godzillas (cos an au forte is so much better remember?)

‮‮

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:52 am 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

bentles wrote:
but then ull need to upgrade all sorts of other s**t or ull keep going through parts.

the internals can handle a fair bit of punishment before they go boom. And (I'm assuming it's auto here) a bigger tranny cooler and a shiftkit should see the transmission last. 190+rwkw should be achievable with everything still (relatively) within its engineering limits.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

yeah thats all cool, and insurance is covered by having the car under my dads name, so they think a 50 year old man is driving it, and im from canberra were the new laws dont effect us, and hopefully never will. Ive got 8k, but i wouldnt like to spend the whole lot on the turbo it self...

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Sounds like a sweet ride. Get a basic turbo kit (still get them on ebay???) with manifold and turbo... i/c and/or water inj... ECU... injectors...

Dont go nuts on the boost and the engine/trans will be fine. Anything around 200-220rwkw with turbo will be a weapon, treat with respect and driveline will take it. Turbo AU forte would be brilliant.

Bugger insurance - 3rd party will keep you out of trouble.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

thats mad as. Ive never fitted in a turbo, and ive never seen it done, do you think there is somewere a tutorial on the basics of installing a Turbo, because i really dont want to spend that extra $$$ on getting it fit in by a professional, but if there are no tutorials on fitting in a turbo, then i guess getting a pro to do it would be worth it

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Good time to learn huh? Start reading up. One of the best threads i've ever read was Chef's 'turbo EA project' in the forced induction forums here.

Try and do as much as possible urself - maybe have the ECU and tuning work done by a pro?

Oh - and the old rule... estimate what it will cost. Then double it :)

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

snort performance make kits for falcons (think the guy is on here somewhere) and they look f**k awesome!!!
stainless manifold KKK turbo wastegate dump braided oil and water lines etc...
about $3500 (you can find em on ebay) sorry i dont know the blokes name or number etc...
then cooler and piping = $300 for cooler(ebay specials) + upwards of $300 for piping
then you'll need atleast a 2.5" exhaust (which is still quite restrictive) but can be attainable once again thru ebay for around $350 cat back
ecu = wolf 3d ver. 4 = about $1200 to $1500 i think someone mentioned about $2200 installed with s**t house tune but will get you going
then theres your auto..? im not real good with gearboxes but... from ebay the oil coolers are around $79.99 buy it now or you can bid on some and get a bargain... + of course the install if you cant do it yourself
then shift kit i have no idea on price of that but my mate has a t700 and a stage 2 shift kit for that was $550 but i dont know what it included...
then you'll need to upgrade your fuel system so a walbro in tank pump about $200 buy it now (ebay) or once again bid and get a bargain
then a fuel pressure reg... i think malpassi are about $195 new..?
or check ebay... LOL i love ebay so many bargains LOL
$199 for sard fuel pressure reg on ebay or rev speed (dodgey?) $110 adjustable etc...
then little bits and pieces like an air fuel ratio meter just to make sure your not leaning out and wrecking your engine bout $135 (ebay )
and a BOV (to extend turbo life) any where from $100 upwards and boost controllers (make one yourself for $12)
http://dodge-srt4.com/howto/diyboost.html
or buy one for $100 maybe cheaper on ebay
then insurance well any where from $800 third party provided everything is legal (justcar) and full comp. GOOD LUCK (how old are you?)
oh and engineer i know there is one on the central coast who will do em' for bout $275 but if your on petrol you gotta pass an emissions test... have fun... but a good tune should get it to pass (more money for dyno time) and of course air filter and oil change to suit and tyres etc...
the list can go for quite some time and im sure ive missed a lot of things
sorry for the long post if i could have written that any shorter i would have
hope this helps your descision... just think of that surge of power
WWAAAAAAHHH PPPSSSSHHHHHH hahaha lol
cheers

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

thats sweet man, thanks for the info... ill be reading alot about turbos now

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:24 pm 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

yeah thats your best bet, do your research. Also when i said "shift kit" i just meant one of the little resistor boxes you can make up to quicken the shifts so theres not as much pressure on the clutch packs.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

aaah i see the shift kit i was talking about i think also upgraded the strength so i guess it had tuff bands and kevlar clutches/pads etc
cheers

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:00 pm 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

yeah well that would be the preferable option, but for around the 190-200rwkw mark, it probably isnt *necessary*
there's s**t of places within a turbo install that you can do cheaper, it all depends on how far you want to take it. Build it up nice and slow, turbotrana on fordforums managed almost 200rwkw (i think) with the stock ECU, AND without an intercooler!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 5  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next