Twin Turbo 302W V8 in an ED Falcon 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Twin Turbo 302W V8 in an ED Falcon
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED Fairmont GHIA 1994

NSW, Australia

Hey Guys,

Iam installing a Twin Turbo set up for my 302W. I am pretty new to turbos and electronic fuel injection (Used to supercharge little datsuns 1200 and 1600). I was wondering what would be the required componets to enable the twin turbo setup to run?

Im not talking super car him im talking getting it to run properly and reliably so then i can get it professionally configured.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

Nath

1994 ED Fairmont Ghia
2006 BFMKII Fairmont Ghia

Post subject: Re: Twin Turbo 302W V8 in an ED Falcon
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I gather u may be good with carby's so u could run a blow through setup and get it up and going urself and final tuning on a dyno???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I'd run a single turbo for simplicity of pipe work, you wouldn't have to move much in the ED engine bay to fit the pipe work. With a twin setup there's a lot more pipework, so things in the engine bay will need to be moved.

If you don't go wild on the boost, the stock fuel system with say slightly larger injectors & a J3 modded ecu to suit the turbo setup would work rather well. You might need to upgrade the fuel pump, but there are bolt in replacements that will do the job. If you didn't want to go EFI, run a Gas Research type setup.

It all depends on how big the budget is for the project.....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Yeah im thinking the pipe work would be difficult. I relocated the Battery and of course the intake will no longer be there, not sure if that enough room? I went for the twin turbo for the reason that it is an 8 and feel it should be twin :). Im really worried about the ecu and the injection system, i wasnt going to crazy maybe 5-7psi per turbo? with this in mind the budget isnt too big aswell, not including the purchase of the turbos intercooler pipework etc i would be happy to spend 1500 - 2000 on setup (all piping and installation by me) so yeah?

Nathan

1994 ED Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

With that sort of budget you would need to run a J3 chip in the factory ecu, maybe some bigger injectors if you can get them cheap enough, if not a rising rate fuel reg would do the job for a while, but some people don't like them, for reasons i won't get into here.

I think it would be hard to run the dump pipe for a turbo on the passenger side of the engine bay. Drivers side would be easy enough. I'm thinking that from looking at how cramped the passenger side of the bay is on my EB Xr8's. I understand why you would want to go twin turbo, one per bank, size them small enough to spool quick but combined they both deliver the air flow required by the big 8.

I had a crazy thought to twin turbo my hz v8 panel van, but if i want a/c, it would be really hard to have a turbo mounted on the passenger side. Remove the a/c, no worries, but i want a/c.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I moved my A/C to idler pulley under alternator.. Made up exhaust manifolds from 32mm steam pipe and cast bends..
Originally I used two VG30 turbo's off a Nissan 300ZX T.. Similar to VL turbo..
Then purchased a universal blow through Pro M 36Lb maf and injectors off here..
http://forums.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=323
For under $200 U.S.. Fitted Walbro 255 intank fuel pump..
Now you could get the 42Lb for about that $$ with calibrated maf..
Run initial timing at 6* instead of 10*...
Run colder normal plugs, MSD 6L...
Using Std or Mustang Cobra EEC..
Hybrid intercooler for around $300..
It had very good spool and torque which fried my clutch is about 18 months..
Didn't power shift or any thing like that.. Didn't have too !!
From memory it made 240rwkw then better tune it made 270rwkw..
Front assembly..

A/C comp ..Note the flexable stainless steel tube used as oil return..
I bought a Dart Iron Eagle block about 6 years ago and upped the anti..
With twin T3/4 hybrids 85Lb injectors,7.8 compression, Haltech E11...To 482 rwkw..

Single ?? A T70 from Master Power work good. Even if alittle big...
A T04Z with 1.00 A.R..
S376 from Borg Warner is another turbo..
IMO a GT3540 is alittle small but work..
Check http://www.turbomustangs.com or http://www.theturboforums.com
You couldn't get anymore info there...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Very nice!

Moving the a/c would free up a lot of engine bay room, and i take it your also running EF style twin thermo's as well, judging by the pipe work?

What did it cost to get the A/C pipe work modified to suit the new compressor location?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

From memory around $300... If that ??
Yes E.L thermo's...
4 core alloy custom radiator...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
From memory around $300... If that ??
Yes E.L thermo's...
4 core alloy custom radiator...

That's actually not very expensive at all for the end result. Bet the radiator was pricey!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Hey Guys,

I was looking through some old street fors magazines and found a twin turbo EB xr8 in "Budget Builds". The guy was using twin VG30 turbos, bolted them on with standard engine no mods and was getting 237rwkw. He then got it dyno tuned and it jumped to 270rwkw. Now im not an expert but thats getting serious for the standard engine? he said that the issue was fuel pressure (using the standard gear).

He also mounted his up high but the way im going to do it is more lower, he mentioned that down low there was an issue with oil?

Toranaguy - i got the J3 chip, looking at injectors now - how big?

1994 ED Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ghiaed1994 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I was looking through some old street fors magazines and found a twin turbo EB xr8 in "Budget Builds". The guy was using twin VG30 turbos, bolted them on with standard engine no mods and was getting 237rwkw. He then got it dyno tuned and it jumped to 270rwkw. Now im not an expert but thats getting serious for the standard engine? he said that the issue was fuel pressure (using the standard gear).

He also mounted his up high but the way im going to do it is more lower, he mentioned that down low there was an issue with oil?

Mount the turbo's too low and you will have oil drain issues.

All you need to do is have the J3 calibrated to suit when you turbo the engine. :D As for the injectors - you need to work out what sort of power it will be making, then you can choose the injectors. You might be able to find a production car with larger injectors that will drop straight in. I found that Tx5 turbo injectors are the right size & drop in replacement for my turbo setup in the mighty boy, after researching injector flow rates.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU1 VCT & AU2 XL

NSW, Australia

Ghiaed1994 wrote:
Hey Guys,

What you need to know is how much power you want when considering injectors. Then knowing / guessing the Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) you work out the amount of fuel required. Divide by the number of injectors. Divide by 0.8 or 0.85 to allow a 15-20% safety margin.

So, if you wanted 400hp, multiply that by 0.6 BSFC which is okay for a turbo engine. You need 240lbs of fuel / hour. Divide this by 0.8 (adding injector duty / safety margin) and you get 300lbs of injection capacity. Divide by 8 injectors gets 37lbs / injectors, next largest common size is 42Lb injectors. Also known as 440cc injectors.

Good luck, project sounds tops!

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

hmmmm it all seems so much clearer. Thanks alot guys for all your help, will keep you posted,

Nath

1994 ED Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ghiaed1994 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Um who would that be ??? Lol...

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Good work Graeme

Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next