Fordmods Logo

Two AU head gaskets?? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

CHEF wrote:
Wellthat looks easy, cheers for that, I'll be into soon as I need to take off the head. :D

rememeber to take it slow, and to let us know how it all goes

Post subject: Re: Two AU head gaskets??
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xh falcon ute

NSW, Australia

Quote:
"yeah like that pick. but start with a clean head. grab an AU gasket and use it to mark out the head so you know where not to grind.

can you take metal away all the way to the edge of where the gasket seals ? (or close anyway?)or is there a water jacket in there, there seems to be heaps of metal in there that could be taken out . how much does jmm take out on there turbo heads ??????? just about to start on my combustion chamber too, after some research of course

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

wow this has to be one of the biggest thread revivals here.. dude this thread is 5 years old

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xh falcon ute

NSW, Australia

ReGiE wrote:
wow this has to be one of the biggest thread revivals here.. dude this thread is 5 years old

sorry bout the 5yr old thread ... didnt realise :| . i was doing some searches about the combustion chamber modding to lower compression for forced induction.. and i couldn't find out how much you can take out of the head .
ps didnt want to s**t you guys off by starting a new thread in the wrong place like all the other newbies :wink:

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Least you brought your own shovel!

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:08 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

garts_co wrote:
ReGiE wrote:

sorry bout the 5yr old thread ... didnt realise :| . i was doing some searches about the combustion chamber modding to lower compression for forced induction.. and i couldn't find out how much you can take out of the head .
ps didnt want to s**t you guys off by starting a new thread in the wrong place like all the other newbies :wink:

Sorry I can't help you out with your dilemma and question...but good on you for refering to older threads rather than starting a new one :D.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

You can take out alot from those areas. I drilled them to see how much meat there was and IMO there is heaps. I did what JMM did on the spark plug side but also took out heaps around the exhaust valve on the shrouded side.

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

garts_co wrote:
Quote:
"yeah like that pick. but start with a clean head. grab an AU gasket and use it to mark out the head so you know where not to grind.

can you take metal away all the way to the edge of where the gasket seals ? (or close anyway?)or is there a water jacket in there, there seems to be heaps of metal in there that could be taken out . how much does jmm take out on there turbo heads ??????? just about to start on my combustion chamber too, after some research of course

Bringing up this old thread IS BETTER then starting a new one. keeps all the info in one thread. :wink:

You can go to the gasket line. but if you don't have a steady hand it's easy to make a mistake and go to far.
read all of this thread to see how much metal is behind it. lots of pics!!!
ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/possible-head-porting-docco-coming-soon-t86312.html

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
garts_co wrote:
Quote:

Bringing up this old thread IS BETTER then starting a new one. keeps all the info in one thread. :wink:

You can go to the gasket line. but if you don't have a steady hand it's easy to make a mistake and go to far.
read all of this thread to see how much metal is behind it. lots of pics!!!
ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/possible-head-porting-docco-coming-soon-t86312.html

hmmmmm might have to give the dremel a bit of a workout, do i need a steel bur or stone???

and yes its a thread mine LOL

cheers bear

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

BEAR80 wrote:
hmmmmm might have to give the dremel a bit of a workout, do i need a steel bur or stone???

Steel bur would make it a hell of a lot easier, it cuts through the alloy quickly so you just have to be aware of how much you're taking out. When i did some chamber work on my spare head, i used a stone to be safe, but it took fricken ages :lol:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

NSW, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
BEAR80 wrote:

Steel bur would make it a hell of a lot easier, it cuts through the alloy quickly so you just have to be aware of how much you're taking out. When i did some chamber work on my spare head, i used a stone to be safe, but it took fricken ages :lol:

sweet well i have plenty of time

thanx for the info

cheers bear

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

BEAR80 wrote:
KWIKXR wrote:
BEAR80 wrote:

sweet well i have plenty of time

thanx for the info

cheers bear

go to the vets and get a 20cc syringe,or if your lucky medical 50cc in hospitals,to measure with.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

AU metal gaskets are 20" compressed standard E series gaskets are 40", double the thickness, wouldnt going to one good quality gasket like a ACL race gasket acheive the same thing, the difference in the compression ratio between the 20" and 40" gaskets is .4.
Before you start removing material from the chamber read up on quench/squish, de shroud the valves and remove material from inside the chamber but try not to enlarge the original outer shape of the chamber. Research,research,research.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

WagonDad wrote:
AU metal gaskets are 20" compressed standard E series gaskets are 40", double the thickness, wouldnt going to one good quality gasket like a ACL race gasket acheive the same thing, the difference in the compression ratio between the 20" and 40" gaskets is .4.
Before you start removing material from the chamber read up on quench/squish, de shroud the valves and remove material from inside the chamber but try not to enlarge the original outer shape of the chamber. Research,research,research.

make it .020" thou and .040" thou

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

if you are going to buy 2 AU gaskets, you may as well pay the $160 or whatever it is for an ACL gasket - they have a few more options
as said above, you wouldn't even lower the compression if you are using an EA-EL engine...
it would just be standard comp (or higher depending on how much has been shaved off the head)

i will be using a 1.3mm head gasket (.051"), but ou mthats only cause the head im using has been shaved a few times and final comp for me will be around 9:1 with that.

give us some more info about your engine, turbo setup and power goals.

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next