Two AU head gaskets?? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Two AU head gaskets??
Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Would this be a satisfactory way of reducing the compresion and getting the benifits of a metal gasket? What comp would it end up being?

My standard headgasket seems to be fine but when it blows id like a simple solution

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

I may be wrong but I don't think you can just run 2 gaskets on top of each other, the only reason people run 2 head gaskets is one either side of a decompression plate.

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

the EA from Mikes Dyno tuning, which ran 10.5 the other week, is simply using 2 AU head gaskets, nothing more.

dcstraight is using 2 AU headgaskets and a headshim, the headgaskets are *not* either side of the shim..
sounds weird yes, but it appears to be working..

2 AU head gaskets will lower the compression marginally, as it comes out to be a little thicker then the usual type.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

EDXR8 wrote:
I may be wrong but I don't think you can just run 2 gaskets on top of each other, the only reason people run 2 head gaskets is one either side of a decompression plate.

you dont even need to do that. you just use the shim and one gasket.

personly i wouldn't use 2 gaskets or head shims/decomp plates at all.
you have the head off so why not enlarge the combustion chamber to suit.

you could pick power too be removing some of the valve shroud.

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

It may be more efficien and reliable to enlarge the chamber, but its not as cheap. And if youre doing a DIY turbo kit, chances are youre not wanting to spend more than you need?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:52 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

Each to their own but IMO running 2 headgaskets on top of one another is not going to lead to a long lasting reliable fix.

I think they are likely to blow out in the middle of the 2 gaskets, but as mentioned if your a DIY and dont want to spend the money for other solutions then it may hold for a while...

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Andrew J wrote:
It may be more efficien and reliable to enlarge the chamber, but its not as cheap. And if youre doing a DIY turbo kit, chances are youre not wanting to spend more than you need?

a dye grinder from super cheap is only around $50 some bits are not much more. super cheap air compressor up to $150.

if you are into DIY i would have thought you would already have a basic set of tools a small air compressor.
to spend a little on tools and doing it your self is cheap way out. compared to constantly replacing gaskets!

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

For me, the tools are no problem. The shed is full of tools, including things like die grinders, welders, oxy, etc, but i dont think id feel confident enough to lower the compression and yet keep the chambers flowing correctly. properly shaped bowls arent so important in forced engines, but id still want them fairly accurate. What about shorter rods?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

shorter rods would bring on it own problems. the engine would be less happy at high revs. and the falcon engine already has issues with rod length.

they would also mean a rebuild and thats not very cost effective. if you were to go to that length, you would fit pistons with a bigger dish to lower the comp.

for me the best way would to enlarge the chambers

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Or buy some low comp E.B heads and tidy there ports etc up ??? Std they are 8.8 to 1....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:57 am 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

EFFalcon wrote:
dcstraight is using 2 AU headgaskets and a headshim, the headgaskets are *not* either side of the shim..
sounds weird yes, but it appears to be working..

Yeah it's weird I know - my logic in going with what I did was because the instructions for the headshim *explicitly* state that the shim fits in between the block and headgasket (in my case, 2 AU metal HG's). I realise that the only seal between the shim and the head is the VHT gasket cement, but it has been holding up thus far *shrugs*.

pyroay wrote:
Each to their own but IMO running 2 headgaskets on top of one another is not going to lead to a long lasting reliable fix.

I think they are likely to blow out in the middle of the 2 gaskets, but as mentioned if your a DIY and dont want to spend the money for other solutions then it may hold for a while...

The AU headgaskets being metal I think will hold up pretty good...I'm on 8psi at the moment too. I do know what you mean Aaron - I did meetup and speak with Brian at Racetec last Monday and he did think it was odd too...ah well my baby has gone through a lot since the snail has gone on - so what's a bit more experimenting 'eh :roll:

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the good info guys... I'm keen to grind a bit out of the chambers I think... but how much and where from exactly? A pair of AU gaskets sounds an easy option though but I'd like to do some porting so while the grinder is out I may as well go into the chambers too

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

Just a basic Picture, but you can take a fair amount of material out from around the blue section, and if your careful you can unshroud the valves by grinding around the red area. Just be careful not to grind where the head gasket area is.
Good luck
Tim

Attachments:
head.JPG
head.JPG [ 95.13 KiB | Viewed 187 times ]

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

CHEF wrote:
Thanks for the good info guys... I'm keen to grind a bit out of the chambers I think... but how much and where from exactly? A pair of AU gaskets sounds an easy option though but I'd like to do some porting so while the grinder is out I may as well go into the chambers too

yeah like that pick. but start with a clean head. grab an AU gasket and use it to mark out the head so you know where not to grind.

make sure you CC them too to make sure all are the same size.
get a bit of flat plastic and a small messuring glass. drill to small holes in the plastic then
you put some grease on the plastic to seal it against the head. then using the glass pure water through one of the holes when it's full you know much water you put it. make it the same for each.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Wellthat looks easy, cheers for that, I'll be into soon as I need to take off the head. :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next