Fordmods Logo

varible cam timing gear!!!!! help 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: varible cam timing gear!!!!! help
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

VIC, Australia

hey guys im about to put my head back on to my motor that i just got built up for a turbo on my eb and i was wondering on where i should set my rollmaster varible cam timing gear at? should it be a bit advanced or retarded? it also has a custom turbo cam as well. my engine rebuilder also supplied me with a head gasket and its a metal one made for turbos yet its a genuine ford part! wtf.

eb fairmont manual, garrett t4, turbo built engine, decomnp pistons 8.3-1, 3.23lsd, wold3dv4, supersuper lows, linelocker,

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

simple answer, you set the cam gear to give the correct amount of inlet valve lift at TDC.. this should be listed on your cam spec sheet

the gasket you have is just an AU falcon genuine gasket, they are multilayer steel

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

VIC, Australia

oh yep cool i just did a search on the part number and yer came up as au head gasket, thanks

eb fairmont manual, garrett t4, turbo built engine, decomnp pistons 8.3-1, 3.23lsd, wold3dv4, supersuper lows, linelocker,

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

actually, my first lot of info should have read, correct amount of inlet lobe lift at tdc, since the lift is measured from the roller, not at the valve

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:29 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

he'll need a dial guage for that measurement.

Can i say some things in laymans terms?

Check that TDC on your balancer is actual TDC to start with. You can poke an old push rod or something down the plug hole and measure its lift but its much more accureate to measure with the head off. Stop your engine at TRUE TDC with a stopper on the ring gear. Mark this spot on your balancer.

Make sure your chain is tensioned by rolling the motor over in the direction of normal rotation by hand to TDC before and after each adjustment. A slack chain will give a false reading.

Retarding the cam means it will kick in later.
Advancing the cam means it kicks in earlier.

Double check your tensions.

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]