Water injection. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Water injection.
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Hey lads, water injection is for turbo and supercharged cars yes? no point placing one on a NA engine?

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Basically... yes. There are possible benefits for an NA engine but its a suprising amount of time to invest in something with debatable benefits.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

aahhhh Thank you.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

debatable benifits on NA?

more like proven benifits for NA. how'd you like to be able to run 13:1 compression with 87 octane feul and never have detonation problems.

just imagine for second the feul economy benifits of running that much compression, and the extra power you get.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/ ... n_Wizardry

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

I think the benefits are very debatable. First off, unless you build your engine for it (or more likely you’ve got a worked engine with detonation problems) you wont get any gains. If I did water injection on my engine for example it wouldn’t do jack.

In some cases it might be of use, but if you build an engine for water injection what sort of power would you get? For comparison, how much power would you get if you put the same money into the more typical route?

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:58 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
I think the benefits are very debatable. First off, unless you build your engine for it (or more likely you’ve got a worked engine with detonation problems) you wont get any gains. If I did water injection on my engine for example it wouldn’t do jack.

In some cases it might be of use, but if you build an engine for water injection what sort of power would you get? For comparison, how much power would you get if you put the same money into the more typical route?

Your engine will run a lot cleaner as the water injection will get rid of all the carbon and other crap that builds up in the combustion chamber aswell as being able to run more aggressive ignition timing hence more power.

cheers Mic

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

mic_77 wrote:
Your engine will run a lot cleaner as the water injection will get rid of all the carbon and other crap that builds up in the combustion chamber aswell as being able to run more aggressive ignition timing hence more power.
cheers Mic

Chambers are polished so not easy for carbon to cling to it

I would be able to run more timing which in it self might mean more power, BUT combustion is slower because of the water in the intake which costs power. On NA engines these pretty much cancel each other out (or so I have read).

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:13 am 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Obviously dependent on application - low pressure and high pressure systems work differently. ie, I plan to plumb a low pressure system into my ambient intake of the turbo to try and keep ambient temperatures as low as I can. A high pressure setup on the other hand can be plumbed into an intake manifold (which is what I think these guys are talking more-so about?) which is obviously the same principle...but to greater effect (AFAIK).

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:

Fair call lol.

OK, i guess where i'm coming from is having a GOOD W/I setup which is going to act almost like a secondary EFI system. i.e. load calculation to decide how much water to inject - whilst at the same time reducing the pulse width of your petrol injectors to suit.... is a fair bit of effort to go to.

Stuff i had been reading when playing around with it on the blower (obviously a simple implementation with a different outcome to N/A but anyways), i'd read about guys who were able to substiute 50% of the fuel being ijected with water.

But it's not just a matter of spraying a bit of tap water into the intake to get sound results... (but that'll work fine to cool a compressed intake charge)

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Water and metho [Ethonol] is a good combination..It cools inlet charge as well as keeing combustion chambers etc nice and clean!!!
You guys who have been unlucky enough to blow a head gasket, notice how clean the piston and chamber is where its blown????

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

Fair call lol.

OK, i guess where i'm coming from is having a GOOD W/I setup which is going to act almost like a secondary EFI system. i.e. load calculation to decide how much water to inject - whilst at the same time reducing the pulse width of your petrol injectors to suit.... is a fair bit of effort to go to.

Stuff i had been reading when playing around with it on the blower (obviously a simple implementation with a different outcome to N/A but anyways), i'd read about guys who were able to substiute 50% of the fuel being ijected with water.

But it's not just a matter of spraying a bit of tap water into the intake to get sound results... (but that'll work fine to cool a compressed intake charge)

yeah i know what your saying. it's like every thing with a modified car, it must be setup properly to work properly or it's a waste of time.

you can't just spray and pray,

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]