Page 9 of 10 [ 147 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post subject: Re: Water to Air intercoolers
Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

yobboford wrote:
the valve was a definite if the rad is lower then the intercooler, i tried just running the pump first to see if it would push the air through, but it wont, didnt take much to bleed the air out, I ran the pump for 30secs then let it settle and cracked the valve, after about 4 times doing this it was good as gold.

ah sounds good. Yeah with mine I think my radiator will sit lower than the core itself so I might get one. Can you get them from any hardware store? Price?

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 80 series cruiser

NSW, Australia

I got the tee from my local engineering supplies store, its a 5/8 barb straight thru with a 3/8 bsp branch, I "obtained" the valve from work, but any sort of valve will work, I used a metal ball valve so heat isnt an issue with it.

Thanks to Crescent Motors, Liverpool.
Call Joe on (02) 9600 6229.

I dont own a Landcruiser, it's a Maverick recovery vehicle!!!!

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

awesome, thanks for the sizes. I might head down to my local hardware store and see what they have in the plumbing section.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well I just went as saw Bruce (my tuner), Im just going to leave it with him while i go on holiday. He's going to fit everything. Brackets, hoses, pipes, fittings, you name it, he's gonna do it.

I think its best he sorts it out. Its gonna cost more to do it this way but it will be the safest.

He said, he is going to fit it over the heat shield, but he also said, he will fit some special heat proof material that BA's use to help protect the core even more. He swears by it he reckons.

I have faith in his abilities, so Im gonna go with it.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Don't forget some after shots. :lol:

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: LTDHO

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
LTDHO, is there a particular reason why you decided to go from the core to the storage tank and then the heat exchanger? I thought the convention was to go from the core to the heat exchanger and then finally to the storage tank/ice box, thus limiting heat soak.

I didn't want the water to heat back up sitting in a tank in the engine bay on it's way back to the charged air. This way the water is the coolest as it get's to the top.
I estimated the temp in the core would be higher than the bay, so it will cool a little before heading to the heat exchanger.

Temps
After core > engine bay
Engine bay > exchanger

You will note the filler is at the core, so Ice can go directly into there. (I didn't though)

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Aha now I see :idea:

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:35 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

Hi All,

Here's the next bit of my w2a setup....fitted an RS Liberty w2a radiator with a thermofan in front of the existing radiator last weekend.

It fits very easily on an AU, nothing is tight, except that one of the horns had to be removed (its plenty loud with one anyway).

Next step will be sorting some of the water plumbing bends, and mounting a little davies craig pump behind the driver's side headlight (busy in there as its also where my water injection fill point is!).

Looking forward to Shav getting back from hols to see pics and results from his setup...

Joe

Attachments:
File comment: RS Liberty W2A radiator + thermo fan in front of existing radiator
Intercooler Radiator2.jpg
Intercooler Radiator2.jpg [ 33.95 KiB | Viewed 196 times ]

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:20 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: henry's finest

NSW, Australia

shav wrote:
Ok, here is the situation.

Took off the intake pipe and dummied the core in possible locations. But its not as promising as it looks.

At first I tried it above the BBM, but as you can see on the side profile picture, it sticks up far too high.

Next was sitting it over the rocker cover, it looks like it may clear the bonnet, but with the bonnet closed, it didnt close properly.

Which left me 1 only other choice, I sat it on top of the heat shield and with some flexi pipe I had lying around, just formed it into position of how the pipe work should look.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

I think over the heat shield is the only position with this sized core.

The pipework will be 2.5" from the supercharger then a 2.5"-3" silicone reducer to the core, another 2.5"-3" silicone reducer to 2.5" pipe work to the TB.

I hope most with a Raptor V superchager realise that the outlet is 2.5" in diameter and they could effectively go the thinner 2.5" inlet/outlet Type 20 core which has a 4" body instead of the Type 19 core that I have which as a 5" body.

I think in heinz sight, the 4" body could fit above the rocker cover as a possibility, but that core is 2-3" longer.

I'll have to make up a rod/bracket of some kind to take the weight of the core itself once water goes thru it. It will get heavy, so, I'll have to get one bent to shape and connect it from the bolt that holds the header tank to one of the rocker cover bolts. That should hold the core into position.

Whats peoples thoughts so far?

I know you've already sent it off but for future reference someone could try modifying the bonnet hinges or adjusting the bonnet to sit up a couple cm's at the back. It would probably give just enough clearance to mount the core against the firewall. An added benefit is the gap provides a vent for hot air to escape.

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:10 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if the attached pic of my davies craig water pump must be mounted the way its shown in the photo (ie. with the 'up' arrow up)? This will dicate where I can put it, and where my water hoses will run.

Thanks for the help!

Joe

Attachments:
Intercooler Pump Davies Craig.jpg
Intercooler Pump Davies Craig.jpg [ 44.49 KiB | Viewed 196 times ]

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:17 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Here are some more pics of some bits and pieces on my w2a setup. Intake (air) side is sorted, and almost have water side of things sorted. Will just need to mount pump, connect final hoses, then wire up. Can't wait!

Joe

Attachments:
Intercooler fill reservoir.jpg
Intercooler fill reservoir.jpg [ 53.74 KiB | Viewed 251 times ]
Intercooler core inside.jpg
Intercooler core inside.jpg [ 35.61 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]
Intercooler Core Plumbing.jpg
Intercooler Core Plumbing.jpg [ 58.8 KiB | Viewed 200 times ]
Intercooler core water in out.jpg
Intercooler core water in out.jpg [ 52.49 KiB | Viewed 232 times ]
Intercooler Core3.jpg
Intercooler Core3.jpg [ 60.13 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:48 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

JoeXR6 wrote:
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if the attached pic of my davies craig water pump must be mounted the way its shown in the photo (ie. with the 'up' arrow up)? This will dicate where I can put it, and where my water hoses will run.

Thanks for the help!

Joe

Surely someone would know about the above water pump's correct orientation? I'm only familiar with the other pump I use (shurflo for water injection), which can be oriented any way...doesn't matter. This way seems to need to be mounted upright?

I emailed Davies Craig but no response. Tips from anyone experienced with this or similar would be helpful.

Cheers,
Joe

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

Up means up. So i would mount as you have it in the pic. My carter pump has the same thing, albeit, different motor orientation. I would expect it to fail if operated upside down.

Just my 2c

Cheers

Daz

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

By looking at the pump itself the impeller configuration doesn't like getting wet as it's at the bottom of the electric motor. I'll replace it with a reliable submersible pump that's not fussy with orientation. :lol:

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Slick, no I'll be sticking with this pump. Thanks Daz, I'll work out how it can be plumbed up to remain this way then.

Cheers,
Joe

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 10  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next