Fordmods Logo

What ignition timing on boost? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: What ignition timing on boost?
Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

Hi All,

I'm starting to play around with tuning on my motec ecu (9psi supercharged AU I6).

I know very little about all this, but I'd be keen to hear what ignition timing you guys with turbo/supercharged I6's are using during boost.

Eg. my map tells me the current tune runs 19degreeBTDC when developing 1psi at around 2500rpm, and drops back to 14degreeBTDC when developing 9psi at around 5700rpm.

What sort of numbers do you guys run, and what can you tell me about the current tune I have (no intercooler, but with water injection)?

Thanks for the help,

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Post subject: Re: What ignition timing on boost?
Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:19 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

with my ems im running at 15deg at idle, it rises to 23 deg at 2psi@ 2500RPM,
then as boost rises it drops back gradually to 17.8 deg at 9 psi@ 5800rpm

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Mine is 5* at idle over 800 rpm it goes to 2* to keep idle quality with cam..
The large intake plenum doesn't help..
To bring power / boost on being a manual it goes to 50* btdc then as boost arrives it drops back to 23* through peak torque. Though torque is everywhere with turbo's..Given the time and load..
Then advances up to 30*..
Alloy heads, 5.4 V8, 7.8 compression,236* cam, dis ignition due to big differences in advance curve..Was getting spark scatter in dizzy cap..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED XR6. XF twin turbo ute.

VIC, Australia

ignition timing is not as easy as finding out what other people are running. to get the most out of a tune you shold run as much as you can safely. afr has a dramatic affect on timing, if you run the wrong timing ( too much ) you engine will detanate or "ping" and you will end up with a big hole in a piston, i suggest if you are not experenced in tuning a car and dont know the signs of pinging leave it to the expert tunners its just not worth blowing up an engine to see if you can do it..

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Maxxr6 wrote:
ignition timing is not as easy as finding out what other people are running. to get the most out of a tune you shold run as much as you can safely. afr has a dramatic affect on timing, if you run the wrong timing ( too much ) you engine will detanate or "ping" and you will end up with a big hole in a piston, i suggest if you are not experenced in tuning a car and dont know the signs of pinging leave it to the expert tunners its just not worth blowing up an engine to see if you can do it..

Maxxr6, thanks for the tips. I'm very familiar with pinging (engine detonates lightly on boost between 2500-3500rpm), and the last 3 times I've had the vehicle on the dyno (and tuned) have not remedied this. Hence why I'm interested in playing a little and adjusting myself (ie. pulling some timing out where the ping happens)! Personally I would love someone experienced to road tune my vehicle. Dynos don't always tell the full story.

Troyman, if I recall on your build thread, are you getting a little pinging also with your current tune using those igntion timing figures? Or is it good now?

Thanks for the numbers EBXR. Your vehicle is so different to mine that its hard to compare!

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:27 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yes i was having a few pinging issues when intake temp started to rise..
its the same deal, on the dyno its fine but on the road it was pinging..

im not sure on the tune program for motec ecu..
but with the ems its got a ignition temp compinsation bar.
mine was starting to ping when intake temp got over 30deg c so at 30 deg i set -2 deg and removed an additional deg every 10degc after that..
which pretty much fixed it but there was a slight ping still there.
although since i changed the exhaust to 3" there is no sign of pinging at all.
so im thinking on removing the timing compinsation back to where it was originally and see if its going to ping now??

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:13 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Troyman, sounds like a good feature. Don't think I have the equivalent on the motec. Interesting that the exhaust could affect detonation? Would be nice if you can put some of that timing back in to it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]