Fordmods Logo

whats wrong with this turbo setup? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: whats wrong with this turbo setup?
Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:09 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: ef futura

VIC, Australia

i have just looked on ebay for some turbo setups that is reasonable and bolt straight on this is the website tell me what you guys think both good and bad things of this turbo setup? or is it just a simple money making tool? i wanna leave it up to you the experts who have done turbo setups and know what is good and what is not

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ford-turbo-k ... 2c618c86a2

i am not looking at runing heaps of boost im looking at runing 6-9 psi boost. not keen on running 11 second passes or drift around corners i just a turbo vehicle that is reliable and the idea of a starting platform. at the moment i have an ef falcon reco head done, and still stock as a rock bottom. it says on the website that on stock head and bottom with this setup it could pull 230kw at the wheels

i am just going to bolt this turbo on bc i am new to the turbo scene and would like to start somewhere learn from the best and also learn from my mistakes to eventially start a project car :D :D ...

any help is much appreciated.. cheers,

Post subject: Re: whats wrong with this turbo setup?
Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

What's wrong with it? You could argue it till the cows come home.

However, having said that, it's not a full bolt in & turn the key kit, there are other bits needed, some fabrication required & what not. It's a good start, and for the money it looks good for a budget setup. I'd be keen to try one if I had the cash. Too busy pouring money into my other projects, like a turbo 6cyl torana, turbo mighty boy, Eb Xr8 & so on.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

My son has his turbo kit available ...
T04Z Garret turbo,Wastegate, Blow off valve, manifolds, injectors. intercooler, ECU if you want..
Even with good AU motor ...
0404 014901 Text or call ...Tell him Graeme sent you...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Oh ok torana guy you dont rekon it is a good setup? But i get what you mean spend money and get decent gear. Its just i am keen on a turbo setup not for project i am just looking at drivin a turbo car as a daily.

And ebxr8 (graham) do you kno how much he has his setup selling for? And is the turbo setup on his car bolt up to a ef falcon?

Cheers,
Ef2nv

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

To4Z's are not a budget turbo.. Double ball bearing, 66mm, T04 turbine etc..
Text him and ask..
Everything will fit..
It includes AU / EF boxed upper inlet with throttle body
at the front.. Bracket for coil packs on rocker cover if you want..
Shorter leads, easy access...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

the turbo set up looks fair good. might be of some interest too me ;) just for a play around i think wouldnt be too bad.

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ef2nv wrote:
Oh ok torana guy you dont rekon it is a good setup? But i get what you mean spend money and get decent gear. Its just i am keen on a turbo setup not for project i am just looking at drivin a turbo car as a daily.

And ebxr8 (graham) do you kno how much he has his setup selling for? And is the turbo setup on his car bolt up to a ef falcon?

Cheers,
Ef2nv

I didn't say it's not a good setup. It's the start of what could be a good setup. There is a lot required to fit it & get it running. I also said I'd be keen to give it a try if I wasn't already playing with 2 other turbo projects. They are going along slowly due to money constraints, so I couldn't look at picking up that kit.

To be honest, I rekcon if you did all the work yourself, run a j3 chip, eBay intercooler & so on, you could probably have it running in the car for $2000. Then it requires engineering for street use or just hope you don't get caught. I prefer the engineered route, my mods get engineered when they require it, which adds expense to the project, but it's worth it.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
To4Z's are not a budget turbo.. Double ball bearing, 66mm, T04 turbine etc..
Text him and ask..
Everything will fit..
It includes AU / EF boxed upper inlet with throttle body
at the front.. Bracket for coil packs on rocker cover if you want..
Shorter leads, easy access...

Yupp sure thing iill call txt him cheers mate,

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

wild-el wrote:
the turbo set up looks fair good. might be of some interest too me ;) just for a play around i think wouldnt be too bad.

Have a go mate i am looking at it to purchase round early next year just money is tied up because my misses bought me coilovers. we will both run the setup and we will compare if it really does work?

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
ef2nv wrote:

Cheers,
Ef2nv

I didn't say it's not a good setup. It's the start of what could be a good setup. There is a lot required to fit it & get it running. I also said I'd be keen to give it a try if I wasn't already playing with 2 other turbo projects. They are going along slowly due to money constraints, so I couldn't look at picking up that kit.

To be honest, I rekcon if you did all the work yourself, run a j3 chip, eBay intercooler & so on, you could probably have it running in the car for $2000. Then it requires engineering for street use or just hope you don't get caught. I prefer the engineered route, my mods get engineered when they require it, which adds expense to the project, but it's worth it.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Hey mate,
Oh sorry i didnt read your comment properly bc i was in a rush.

But yea as you have said mate this is a expensive hobby lucky my misses dosnt care :D

But i am going to do the setup by myself the only thing i might get help would be the oil drain feed from the turbo to the sump. Other then that i will hopefully be fine. But as i said earlier i am doin the setup early next year

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ef2nv wrote:
wild-el wrote:

Have a go mate i am looking at it to purchase round early next year just money is tied up because my misses bought me coilovers. we will both run the setup and we will compare if it really does work?

Hahaha awesome misses. Lol I spoke to the guy he's always making the kits so always has them. I'm thinking of dunno g that setup on a gas dedicated Au motor with just a j3 tune or even try this uni-chip I have sitting here to see if I can get her running on that. And if I'm not happy with the turbo I'll try and fit a gt35/40 out of the ba's. See how I go. P plates are holding me back. That's about it!!!! :x

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Straight gas has been done a few times, with a couple of ppl even getting good results from the s**t mixer setups, much to a lot of people's surprise, including mine!

I'd go gas research tho, s/h throttle bodies & converters are not expensive these days, and rebuild kits for converters are not too bad either. I'm going gas research on my Torana.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Straight gas has been done a few times, with a couple of ppl even getting good results from the s**t mixer setups, much to a lot of people's surprise, including mine!

I'd go gas research tho, s/h throttle bodies & converters are not expensive these days, and rebuild kits for converters are not too bad either. I'm going gas research on my Torana.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Yeah well I'm running a b2 converter at the moment with an impco 200 mixer nut I want to piss off the mixer to run gas research, I'm not 100% sure but I think the gas dedicated motors might already be running gas research throttle bodies. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

wild-el wrote:
Yeah well I'm running a b2 converter at the moment with an impco 200 mixer nut I want to piss off the mixer to run gas research, I'm not 100% sure but I think the gas dedicated motors might already be running gas research throttle bodies. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Dedicated gas engines are NOT running Gas Research. Their a modified factory petrol TB that has a gas mixer in the end of it.

If you have a b2 converter, all you need to do is a rebuild with the gas research kit for the converter, it will then run with the GRA gas throttle body. I've got the impco version of the b2 in the shed somewhere, was planning on putting a kit thru it to use with the GRA in the Torana.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

So you need to rebuild the converter to suit the gas research??

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next