Fordmods Logo

Will this dodgy turbo idea work? 

 

Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 426

Joined: 26th Jan 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Blu Falc wrote:
Slabz wrote:
CHEF wrote:
If you wanna slide then you'll need lots of power, which rules out a cheapo turbo job


i've only got 139rwkw at the moment and i can still kick it out on most low speed corners. i reckon 160rwkw would be a good point to aim for... that probably not gonna be enough for a decent job at mallala but in the wet and on small tracks like port gawler (or side streets) i can still have fun...


yer 160KW@W should be fun and streetable, I doubt mine will go to the track regularly if at all, My system will be designed to be a punchy daily driver


my thoughts exactly blu falc.

 

_________________

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1960

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

Location: Under the flight path of incoming packpackers
NSW, Australia

Ah ok, though you were building a drifter... but if your only after 160kws why bother going to a turbo? Leave it NA and save yourself alot of hassles.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 426

Joined: 26th Jan 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

CHEF wrote:
Ah ok, though you were building a drifter... but if your only after 160kws why bother going to a turbo? Leave it NA and save yourself alot of hassles.


i can see the NA taking longer to get on power where as with a turbo i can get it to be more responsive by having a quick spooling turbo. plus i like the sound :oops:

the other reason is that if i happen to kill an engine, then if im turbo, i can just bolt the stuff onto another cheap/stock engine but if i kill a hi powered NA then all that money is gone. just my pesimistic outlook. later on in life when im loaded 8-) i can afford to do a full engine job properly.

 

_________________

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1549

Joined: 27th Apr 2005

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Slabz wrote:
CHEF wrote:
Ah ok, though you were building a drifter... but if your only after 160kws why bother going to a turbo? Leave it NA and save yourself alot of hassles.


i can see the NA taking longer to get on power where as with a turbo i can get it to be more responsive by having a quick spooling turbo. plus i like the sound :oops:

the other reason is that if i happen to kill an engine, then if im turbo, i can just bolt the stuff onto another cheap/stock engine but if i kill a hi powered NA then all that money is gone. just my pesimistic outlook. later on in life when im loaded 8-) i can afford to do a full engine job properly.



Yer plus the midrange torque will be superior in a turbo car, also you can get more power when you want it with minimal tweaks on a turbo when compared to a N/A and you can shape the power delivery using an electronic boost controller. There wont be a low end trade off really when compared to a stage 4 cam needed for 160KW@W
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1960

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

Location: Under the flight path of incoming packpackers
NSW, Australia

Yep, all true... just go for more power man, dont shame us all by only achieving 160wkws :)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 29

Posts: 975

Joined: 26th Nov 2004

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

Location: Waroona
WA, Australia

CHEF wrote:
Ah ok, though you were building a drifter... but if your only after 160kws why bother going to a turbo? Leave it NA and save yourself alot of hassles.


thats wat i was thinking

 

_________________

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 1380

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FPV BF MKII F6

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

fritz how much was ur plenum?

 

_________________

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.
Gone for good..... Damn fence posts!!!!!

OBS35N #2 (XXF6XX) just bought, bring it on

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1549

Joined: 27th Apr 2005

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

OBS35N wrote:
fritz how much was ur plenum?

Isnt that a question for a PM?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 1380

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FPV BF MKII F6

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

its just a simple question

 

_________________

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.
Gone for good..... Damn fence posts!!!!!

OBS35N #2 (XXF6XX) just bought, bring it on

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1549

Joined: 27th Apr 2005

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

CHEF wrote:
Yep, all true... just go for more power man, dont shame us all by only achieving 160wkws :)


thats a safe limit for a cheap setup
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1960

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

Location: Under the flight path of incoming packpackers
NSW, Australia

check the nizpro site
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 426

Joined: 26th Jan 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

a 160kw turbo will be much more drivable than a 160kw NA too. isnt the most powerful NA 4L 6 about 175kw? and thats with a stg5 jmm kit, etc.

 

_________________

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1549

Joined: 27th Apr 2005

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Slabz wrote:
a 160kw turbo will be much more drivable than a 160kw NA too. isnt the most powerful NA 4L 6 about 175kw? and thats with a stg5 jmm kit, etc.


Yes and quite likely it will be faster over the 1/4 mile because of the higher average torque, less chance of getting caught out of gear in everyday driving
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:02 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 426

Joined: 26th Jan 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Blu Falc wrote:
Slabz wrote:
a 160kw turbo will be much more drivable than a 160kw NA too. isnt the most powerful NA 4L 6 about 175kw? and thats with a stg5 jmm kit, etc.


Yes and quite likely it will be faster over the 1/4 mile because of the higher average torque, less chance of getting caught out of gear in everyday driving


my thoughts exactly. the 3.89 diff gears go a long way towards helping that too (effectively smaller gaps in gears - speed-wise anyway) so combine the two and 8-)

 

_________________

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1549

Joined: 27th Apr 2005

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Slabz wrote:
Blu Falc wrote:
Slabz wrote:
a 160kw turbo will be much more drivable than a 160kw NA too. isnt the most powerful NA 4L 6 about 175kw? and thats with a stg5 jmm kit, etc.


Yes and quite likely it will be faster over the 1/4 mile because of the higher average torque, less chance of getting caught out of gear in everyday driving


my thoughts exactly. the 3.89 diff gears go a long way towards helping that too (effectively smaller gaps in gears - speed-wise anyway) so combine the two and 8-)


haha 3.89 gears will go a long way to giving you no traction, 3/4 throttle in my car round a corner in second and im sideways and thats with a 2.92 LSD :shock:
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:17 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names