Fordmods Logo

XR6T vs R33 Skyline GTS-T? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Oh by the way, personally if your looking into getting a skyline don't bother getting an R33, way to many of them out there, and frankly they were one of the worst skylines made,
You should belooking at a well condition r31 RB30T (2door if you can pick one up), or a R32 RB30DET :D:D

Sucessful trades with Schmee, Braidy, Niko, The_Ghost, YBHVE4, Stalker

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

RuchEa wrote:
Falcon hasnt a chance in handling or braking.

Mates got an r32 GTR that sucks the doors of anything around a corner and most cars in a straight line!

Any mod you can do to your xr6t has been done many times since the skylines came out particularly 1989 when r32 came out!

Just such a wealth of knowledge and aftermarket support not to mention standard 4wd and 1400 kerb weight!

Round a racetrack skyline everyday of the week!

lol helps if you read the post. did you get past the first line?

adding the premium brake package on the xr6t is a must IMHO. The old fella got the upgrade when he got his turbo, and man does it stop! The brembo's off the gt-p would be better again. with the package on it the xr6t would be on par around a bend on a track with a gts-t. the gts-t wasnt a handling machine, and the falcon with premium brakes option would be able to power into the corner better, brake harder to the apex, then have the torque to make up for the extra kilo's on exit speed to bring better cornering speed than the gts-t. The skyline might have 5 extra KMH at the apex due to lower weight, but the apex it a fleeting zone. the falcon would be much better entry/exit.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The XR6-t will rape it in straight line dont no about handling though. I raced a R33 GTS-T 2.5 few weeks ago 3 times. We were even off the line i was about half a car infront at 90 then he cought up everytime and overtook at 120, so xr6t would wipp the thing in straight line

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF XR8 & 2002 GSXR-1000

WA, Australia

Hybrid34 wrote:
or a R32 RB30DET :D:D

I didn't think they made the R32 with an RB30. The R32 GTS-T came out with an RB20DET.

I also didn't think RB30s came in a DET format (without putting an RB25/26 head on them).

I could be wrong on both of these, as I am no Skyline expert.

The fast fun: Suzuki GSXR1000
The one I use when I can't use the fast fun: Blown EF XR8

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:37 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

Hybrid34 wrote:
SECTION25 wrote:

Is it possible to make an XR6T actually handle really well?

Of course!,
-Lower it
-Get harder shocks
-Bigger wider tyres
- Sway bars
-Maybe a better braking system
-Rear Support bars (not sure of the name of them, that go in the boot)

Thanks, I know aftermarket stuff can be fitted, I guess the purpose of my question is it like pushing up a hill trying to make the Falcon handle as well as one of these? I mean, with a simple upgrades, can it actually be done?

I would prefer not to have to throw the entire suspension set up in the bin...

It would be nice to think that these days, 10 years after this car was designed, technology would exist to make something that weighs a few hundred kg more be able to handle as well, what with the wide wheeltrack and long wheelbase (comparitively).

Hybrid34 wrote:
Oh by the way, personally if your looking into getting a skyline don't bother getting an R33, way to many of them out there, and frankly they were one of the worst skylines made,
You should belooking at a well condition r31 RB30T (2door if you can pick one up), or a R32 RB30DET

Why do believe these are bad cars?

As for the other cars you mentioned, I don't want anything as old as an R32 as I will be looking at a 96 model R33. Also want something that is not modified as an R32 with an RB30DET would have to be as these are not factory engines.

More Grunt wrote:
adding the premium brake package on the xr6t is a must IMHO. The old fella got the upgrade when he got his turbo, and man does it stop! The brembo's off the gt-p would be better again. with the package on it the xr6t would be on par around a bend on a track with a gts-t. the gts-t wasnt a handling machine, and the falcon with premium brakes option would be able to power into the corner better, brake harder to the apex, then have the torque to make up for the extra kilo's on exit speed to bring better cornering speed than the gts-t. The skyline might have 5 extra KMH at the apex due to lower weight, but the apex it a fleeting zone. the falcon would be much better entry/exit.

I would definitely think the upgraded brakes would be a huge improvement. As for what you say about the difference in handling....Im just thinking that the Falcon with the premium brakes is going to be more expensive by a fair way than the Skyline, and with the price difference you could probably offset some of that performance deficit.

What do you all think?

Cheers

Wanted - boot floor and lining for sedan - cheap - Syd-Central Coast

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ooop my bad, yes your correct RB20,

Im not saying the R33 is a bad car, I've driven three different ones in my lifetime and have enjoyed them, but comparing them to the other skylines made R31 and up, statistically their not as good, in saying that their also as common as a commodore, as you well have seen on the roads you see many more r33's than 32's,
If you wanna go jap you don't have to spend a bukcet load getting a hotted up R32, but the R32's would be the way to go (As this thread is talking about performance /handling),
OR
If you want the XR6t, your obviulsy going to get a newer car (even newer than a 33), nicer ride and more power, how ever handling all you have to do is the simple mods in which i said (don't cost thousssands), and you will have a very firm ride
cheers
- Ash

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:23 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Hi, I appreciate your opinion however I just do not want an R32.

And to be honest I don't really care about how many R33's are on the roads (I mean the other alternative we are talking abgout is a Falcon anyway, not like there is a shortage of those ;)

Whilst it's well known an R32 is lighter - I just don't want a car this old.

And as for the newer Falcon having the better ride, yes I would assume that, and yes the ride will be firm with the upgrades but as per what I asked originally, does it actually stack up to an R33? Maybe its better? I don't know. Thats the point of this thread =)

I want some seat of the pants feelings from people who have driven both

Post subject: r33 xr6t
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Figures for the r33

0-100 6.18 manual stock

0-400m 14.34

Power 187KW

Torque 295NM

These times and power are on a stock skyline with strangled standard intake and 16" wheels. With just better wheels and intake will see the skyline climb into the high 5s.

In off the line acceleration a Manual ford vs Manual Skyline it will depend on the skill of the driver.

In braking the abs equipped skyline feels very good and doesnt heat up as quick as the ford so ford would definaltly need a brake upgrade.

Traction in the wet ford will win as skyline will struggle for traction without traction control, but in dry and a good driver the skyline should be able to launch better than the ford as ther lsds work very well and if it has an active lsd there are even better.

Handling goes strait to the skyline a r33gts-t has 4 wheel steer and irs not to mention a lighter overall mass.

They are both good car and the skyline is better than the ford for fuel economy, handling and cheaper power upgrades and initial cost. The ford is good for room and bucketloads of torque. You really couldnt go wrong with either.

Good luck mate

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I've only driven a N/A Skyline 33 and a xr6 NA :(, so can't help you in the power department,
but all in all its what your after, if you wnat a 2ddoor sporty zippy jap car, 33 will do the trick
if you want grunt , comfort, torque, etc etc then the xr6t tops it off:)
-Ash

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:49 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Surely there is more to add to this?

Nobody has driven both of these cars?

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

this may help, even though this is an R34 with 206kw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvrruKchXV8

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:18 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

one of my dvds serious performance did a caomparison between the rearwheel drive skyline and xr6t. maybe buy the dvd before you put the money down for the car

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

SECTION25 wrote:

Look, if your seriously gonna put money down for one of these cars, then why dont you head to a caryard and test drive both yourself.

Surely you cant be solely basing your purchase on a few comments in a forum?

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

I'd take the Falcon anyday, its much more suitable as an every day driver then the Skyline. Skyline has way too much turbo lag (XR6T is a lot more effortless on the street though not as good as an n/a Falcon either), the ride is uncomfortable and its too cramped. Imagine taking all your mates on a camping trip in a Skyline.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
SECTION25 wrote:

Look, if your seriously gonna put money down for one of these cars, then why dont you head to a caryard and test drive both yourself.

Surely you cant be solely basing your purchase on a few comments in a forum?

Of course. But I don't think the dealership is going to be near some windy roads where I can drive the cars how I want to drive them.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next