Fordmods Logo

1005HP 9.35@148.7mph video page two 

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: 1005HP 9.35@148.7mph video page two
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

on thursday afternoon we finaly got the engine (351c) back in our XD falcon.
after three set of bearings failed and getting water in the oil. (engine was only about 3 months old.)
We got the s**t with it and pulled it down our selves to try and suss out what was going.
It turns out that the builder of the engine (will remain nameless) didn't do a very good job on the engine. The bearing issue was found to be a bent crank and out of round journals.
The water problem was found to be a bad port job, he had gone through to water on a few of the short turns and filled the holes with devcon and was leaking water in the no: 1 port.

So with the crank sorted and some new AFD 2V heads. it was all put back together.
specs go like this.
40thou over clevo block (late electronic block with the small shaft dizzy)
stock rods
cast pistons
20thou under crank with full indexing
AFD 2V heads assembled with all manley gear
10.5:1 compression
ARP rod bolts and head studs
performer manifold
holley street hp 750DP
i dont have on hand the cam specs though it is an off the shelf crane solid flat tappet grind choosen to help with the nitrous.

we also run 150hp of nitrous at the strip.

ignition is all MSD, magnetic pickup dizzy using no mechanical advance, 6AL- limiter set at 7000rpm though upshifts are made 6500rpm, blaster 3 coil custom MSD leads.

on the dyno last night with out the use of nitrous we made 330hp at the wheels with a very lazy 21degrees of timing as we only had 98octane feul in at the time. and very high AFRs hitting 9.8:1. As soon as that was seen it came off the dyno and back to our shop a few small jetting changes and some changes to the accel pump cams and squirters to cure a flat spot just of idle.
so today befor it goes out the strip it will get VP109 feul and put the timming up to 27degree for the nitrous (we run 32 on the street with out gas) and our AFR tester will go on to make sure it's not lean with the gas.

with the old heads it ran 11.40sec at 120mph so we'll see how the new heads go tonight, if it doesn't rain.

Last edited by tickford_6 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

first pass for the engine we went 11.47 @ 119.5mph.
by the end of the night, 5th pass we went 11.38 @ 122.95mph
well technicly we went 11.384 with a dail in of 11.380 to go out the last round by .006
we should go faster next time, the weather station showed the almost %80 humidity and be the equivelent of being at 2800feet above.

The AFD heads proved them selves, while the old engine did run 120MPH with cast iron 2v heads, it was running a TFC single plain intake.
The new engine we went back to an edelbrock performer so we lost out in top end power. we're going to fit the TFC befor it goes back out so the MPH should pick up a little. It may help cut down how mcuh it turns the tyres off the line too. It's turning the tyres about 4 times befor it hooks up, need to cut that back to one rotation.

i'll get a vid up soon. can some one help me with hosting the vid.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

here's link to the video of the 11.38 @122.95mph pass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMlapGD1Idk
this was round one. 11.50 on the brake across the line. dial was 11.48
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pf0x2JndofY

the voice is me telling one of the other crew what the dail in was at the start and swearing at the end when i realised we'de just lost, albeit to a customer of ours

Last edited by tickford_6 on Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: anyone used AFD 2V heads? here's our results with video
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
on thursday afternoon we finaly got the engine (351c) back in our XD falcon.
after three set of bearings failed and getting water in the oil. (engine was only about 3 months old.)
We got the s**t with it and pulled it down our selves to try and suss out what was going.
It turns out that the builder of the engine (will remain nameless) didn't do a very good job on the engine. The bearing issue was found to be a bent crank and out of round journals.
The water problem was found to be a bad port job, he had gone through to water on a few of the short turns and filled the holes with devcon and was leaking water in the no: 1 port.

So with the crank sorted and some new AFD 2V heads. it was all put back together.
specs go like this.
40thou over clevo block (late electronic block with the small shaft dizzy)
stock rods
cast pistons
20thou under crank with full indexing
AFD 2V heads assembled with all manley gear
10.5:1 compression
ARP rod bolts and head studs
performer manifold
holley street hp 750DP
i dont have on hand the cam specs though it is an off the shelf crane solid flat tappet grind choosen to help with the nitrous.

we also run 150hp of nitrous at the strip.

ignition is all MSD, magnetic pickup dizzy using no mechanical advance, 6AL- limiter set at 7000rpm though upshifts are made 6500rpm, blaster 3 coil custom MSD leads.

on the dyno last night with out the use of nitrous we made 330hp at the wheels with a very lazy 21degrees of timing as we only had 98octane feul in at the time. and very high AFRs hitting 9.8:1. As soon as that was seen it came off the dyno and back to our shop a few small jetting changes and some changes to the accel pump cams and squirters to cure a flat spot just of idle.
so today befor it goes out the strip it will get VP109 feul and put the timming up to 27degree for the nitrous (we run 32 on the street with out gas) and our AFR tester will go on to make sure it's not lean with the gas.

with the old heads it ran 11.40sec at 120mph so we'll see how the new heads go tonight, if it doesn't rain.

I would be using a single plane manifold, like a Weiand Xcelerator, used a modified original electronic dizzy, running 14 to 16 at idle, and upto 32 to 34 at revs. What extractors are you using??? What stallie are you running ( if auto ).???? What diff gears are you running????
.040" over bore is a bit of an ask for a Clevo. Some them hit water at that. Ol' mate that built it before should have known better, the tosser.
Are you running a hi-vol oil pump??? What engine oil are you using and grade of oil???

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

The old weiand is VERY outdated these days, and just not worth contemplating with the crop of TFC, CHI and Active manifolds, especially with nitrous, and running 34deg with a 150 hit is asking for a sump oil soup, with added rods no doubt!
Hi vol pumps are just sapping HP and not worth running, 10psi per 100 rpm is all you need, which a std pump does with ease.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ELGT wrote:
The old weiand is VERY outdated these days, and just not worth contemplating with the crop of TFC, CHI and Active manifolds, especially with nitrous, and running 34deg with a 150 hit is asking for a sump oil soup, with added rods no doubt!
Hi vol pumps are just sapping HP and not worth running, 10psi per 100 rpm is all you need, which a std pump does with ease.

I have made the same HP as that engine, (unfortunately I don't have the paper work/sheets), running 10:1, cast 2V heads, roller rockers, roughly 35/75 cam with 0.511" on the inlet, and the exhaust has more lift & duration, it as bronze guides, s/s valves with single groove & moly collets & retainers. The ex valves are Chev items, and the in valves were about 060" bigger heads. I ported and polished the heads, port matched & dowled the the inlet man. I altered the insides of the in man. too. It runs a hi-vol oil pump ( altered internally), running 95psi hot using 15W60 engine oil with an oil cooler. It has a C10F auto with shift kit & HD alloy pan, a Dominator stall of 2,500 but gets pulled over to 3,300 rpm. Has a 9" with 3.25 LSD and disc's.
Anyway, when you put your mind to it, you can get heaps, just takes time and money, as usual.
It cost $37,000 to build the XD sedan. I haven't got any digital photos of unfortunately, it does look smick though. It took a year to do.
Fair enough it doesn't run NOS.
There is heaps more I did to the block as well,

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

the afd alloy heads dont need a lot of timing, my brothers 393 made the most hp with 26* total any more than that and it lost HP on the engine dyno.
The afd small port 4v's on the 393 made just over 600hp.

Last edited by 66 coupe on Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

I am making over 400rwhp with cast iron 2V heads in the XA now, and have 150 hit on top.
I run an Active 2V and 4 into 1 pipes, with a 4000 converter, with 3,7 gears, and it fairly cranks. Not enough to not have a CHI headed 383 being built as we speak....over 500rwhp here we come, then the gas, but 200 + this time.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

cjh wrote:
I would be using a single plane manifold, like a Weiand Xcelerator, used a modified original electronic dizzy, running 14 to 16 at idle, and upto 32 to 34 at revs. What extractors are you using??? What stallie are you running ( if auto ).???? What diff gears are you running????
.040" over bore is a bit of an ask for a Clevo. Some them hit water at that. Ol' mate that built it before should have known better, the tosser.
Are you running a hi-vol oil pump??? What engine oil are you using and grade of oil???

If you read down the posts we have a TFC single plain waiting to go on. the performer went on as the car is street driven and the added low down torque is very noticable over the TFC. the Xcelerator is out dated and waste of time.
If we'd have run any mechanical advance it would have been all-in by 3000rpm and since we are running a 3800 stally (slightly higher would be better for the strip though) there is no point in using mechanical advance.

extractors are pacie competition 4 into 1s with dual 3inch pipes.

diff gears are 4.11:1 with a 28 inch tall tyre and a C4 auto. it brings the shift light on befor the finish line.

yeah we know some hit water at 40 thou. three of ours went to water, but we had the pistons as old stock and plenty of clevo blocks so it wasn't a big deal. with cast pistons and thin walls we know it's a ticking bomb anyway.

oil is HPRgas 20w60, because we are using a flat tappet cam we need the aditives the HPRgas has in it.

oil pump is new stock to type pump. and with the blocked preped right and the 3 thou main clearence and 2.5thou big end clearence we dont have any oil pressure problems

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

cjh wrote:
ELGT wrote:

I have made the same HP as that engine, (unfortunately I don't have the paper work/sheets), running 10:1, cast 2V heads, roller rockers, roughly 35/75 cam with 0.511" on the inlet, and the exhaust has more lift & duration, it as bronze guides, s/s valves with single groove & moly collets & retainers. The ex valves are Chev items, and the in valves were about 060" bigger heads. I ported and polished the heads, port matched & dowled the the inlet man. I altered the insides of the in man. too. It runs a hi-vol oil pump ( altered internally), running 95psi hot using 15W60 engine oil with an oil cooler. It has a C10F auto with shift kit & HD alloy pan, a Dominator stall of 2,500 but gets pulled over to 3,300 rpm. Has a 9" with 3.25 LSD and disc's.
Anyway, when you put your mind to it, you can get heaps, just takes time and money, as usual.
It cost $37,000 to build the XD sedan. I haven't got any digital photos of unfortunately, it does look smick though. It took a year to do.

not quite sure what your point is?

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
cjh wrote:
ELGT wrote:

not quite sure what your point is?

The point is, the Weiand works very well, the oiling system working very well, the modified electronic dizzy works well, the car is a daily driver, it uses PULP, doesn't ping, doesn't run on when switched off, it doesn't lope and carry on, nice to drive,and its down at Beerwah on the sunny coast is where it is now.
I wished it were mine.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

cjh wrote:
The point is, the Weiand works very well, the oiling system working very well, the modified electronic dizzy works well, the car is a daily driver, it uses PULP, doesn't ping, doesn't run on when switched off, it doesn't lope and carry on, nice to drive,and its down at Beerwah on the sunny coast is where it is now.
I wished it were mine.

yeah the weiand works, but it's hardly the best option. the oiling system works too which is why ours is almost untouched.
our dizzy works, it doesn't ping running PULP on the street, is easy to start, doesn't run on and the car is nice to drive. the only reason it's not daily driven is because we have more feul efficient ways of getting around.

we want to run 11 flat. and we built the engine to do it and we were going to use nitrou from the start. To take the car out and run 11.50 at 119.5 mph first pass was a good feeling. With a few changes it will run the 11 flat and we'll leave it at that. any faster and we'll have to start fitting harnesses and cages and we dont want to that.

by the moroso power speed calculator we need at least 500HP to run the 122.95MPH we ran on saturday night
our way works for us. your way work for you.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I reckon just fix your startline issue and you'll have your 11.0. I run the same mph & 11.07 in a slightly heavier car.

You've already got the engine right. Sort the startline and you'll run 11.0's all day long. What suspensions in the car? The reason I ask is it doesn't seem to throw weight back on the rear wheels like it should. Maybe the way it is is how you want it? Not sure?

I tried 100% street suspension on the strip it works well till the go faster bug bites.

XB Fairmont sedan 11.07@123.02mph

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

brenx wrote:
I reckon just fix your startline issue and you'll have your 11.0. I run the same mph & 11.07 in a slightly heavier car.

You've already got the engine right. Sort the startline and you'll run 11.0's all day long. What suspensions in the car? The reason I ask is it doesn't seem to throw weight back on the rear wheels like it should. Maybe the way it is is how you want it? Not sure?

I tried 100% street suspension on the strip it works well till the go faster bug bites.

it's mostly stock suspension. stock 6cyl springs in the front with 90/10 shocks. the rear is stock leaf spring with competion engineering adjustable shocks, set to the softest on the drivers side and medium on the pasenger side.

we are looking to a few of our customers to see if we can get a hold a higher stall converter, i think i posted befor it was a 3800 that was in the car, anyway i checked with the boss today and it actualy runs a 3000rpm stall speed. so we'd like to try a 3500 or 3800rpm one.
something els we're toying with is to fit a second nitrous plate and set retard so we can pull some timming out and run an other 25hp or so in top gear.

also checking to see if we can get a 29inch tall tire under the back of it. because once we start to run more MPH it will almost be on the 7000rpm limit across the line. (not good for what is basicly a stock bottom end)

it's all fun and games, though this car seems to eat alot the money put aside the real race car. he's even talking of selling the race car and putting it all into the XD, he likes the idea of drive the car to track put the slicks on and running it, full exhast system air cleaners the lot and still running better then %80 of the field

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

a small update.......(i know it's been a long time)

we bit the bullit and bought a 3500rpm converter for it.
didn't make any real difference to times.
though at the same time we also changed from the old hoosiers to some new M/T tyres of the same size.

the car started getting slower, not by much much but each meeting was down 0.10 from the last.

and being as we are, the need for more came and want for a tougher look came aswell.
So it was decided to fit a tunnel ram and a pair of carbs.
this can be seen here http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... 5&start=20

next meeting, car was back to to it's low 11s, (something wasn't right)
then in the final race it happend. at the 6-foot mark the input shaft in the c4 became a custom 2 peice item.
when it was stripped it had the broken input, a twisted output shaft and just generaly shagged, box had done about 40 odd passes.
so a hand full of new bit went in.

by the time that had happend the weather was in our favour, so out for an other meeting. first pass was an 11.24, and got faster all night. final pass coming in at 10.90

so basicly the the 4V tunnel ram (bolted to 2V heads) and the pair of 650 carbs was worth 0.42sec and a few MPH. One thing we noticed was the tyres were rooted and had bugger all grip compared to when they were new.
The car started to turn the tyres more off the line. this is telling us we need a higher stall torque converter. that and the M/T tyre wear out really fast.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next