2V 351 Aussie heads 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: 2V 351 Aussie heads
Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

Currently just starting a New engine build up with the old man,

We have pulled down a Small port 351 Cleveland from a 71 ZD fairlane, plan to use the Block and ditch most of the rest... We are currently looking at heads and have decided to stick with 2V heads instead of 4V, reason being we are after more low to mid range power than higher RPM power....

Anywho, the block is in good condition and is currently being chemicaly cleaned, and we are now in the market for the Heads, Was looking at AFD Aussie 2V Closed Chamber 351 Cleveland aluminium heads rated at 620hp air flow...

Specs:

Material:Pure 356 Alloy, Heat treated to T6

Chamber Volume: 57cc, 64cc or custom chambers

Intake Runner Volume: 205cc

Exhaust Runner Volume: 105cc

Valves - Intake: 2.050" (will fit 2.190")

Exhaust: 1.655" (will fit 1.710)

Valve Guides: Phosphurus Bronze

Valve Seat Inserts - Intake: 2.200"x 1.780 x 3/8

Exhaust: 1.750" x 1.430" x 3/8

Spark Plugs: ¾ reach, 5/8 hex, washer seat

Spring Seats: 1.550" od/.560 id

Valve Spring Height: 1.850" (with stock length valve)

Question is, has anyone had any experiance with these heads before? and what Intake manifold setup did you use with them? also after Camshaft recomendations..

We are currently aiming at somewhere around the 400hp mark.... would these heads be ideal?

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

Why spend the $$$ when cast 2V closed chambers will do the trick if only 400 is your target.
IMHO CHI 3V's are far superior than the AFD product anyway. Have a look at www.enginmasters.com for this years results.....not an AFD in sight.
I am going to get the CHI's for the XA

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

well 400 would be good, But it all depends on the price factor and how far we want to take it.... Got any Pricing figures for a 400-450hp build motor?

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Yep, if 400 is your figure then do a pair of closed 2V's, a half decent port will easily rip 400.
I've got a brand new Isky FL-380 solid cam here, but do you want to go hyd, solid or roller?
If you don't mind adjusting rollers once in a while then definately go solid, if you want to fork out big bucks then go roller.

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Currently interested in Solid cams... Take note that this motor will not see the streets, Just a bit of mediocor fun down the strip, Car to be punished is still under wraps

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Triton ute BA Futura

VIC, Australia

Ever thought about puttin a stroker kit throu it?

Oh and also - What kind of comp will you be running?

I used open chamber heads mine is pushing close to that at the flywheel

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Go to the Isky site and check out the FL-380, it's rev range is around 3000 to 7000, it has 560 lift and 250 @ 50 thou duration.
My mate had a wicked 4V Clevo in his XD, he ran the Isky, the Motorsport cam which was 580 in 606 ex, and also the Crane F 246, those 3 were the most popular cam choices and he swears by the Isky.
I want to sell only because i don't want to run a solid for LPG, i'd rather flog it and put it towards a new Roller for the Windsor for now.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:07 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 16 images

Power: 165 rwkw

NSW, Australia

My show pony is a XD Ghia, I'll be rebuilding the 351 using 2v close chamber heads and 2v valves, im chasing max torque I can get without going over 450 flywheel HP. I'm hoping to get about 420ft-lb of torque low rpm more would be great. estimate quote was $7000

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I built a 351C about 3yrs ago, it cost $8,000 in parts and machining. It punches out 300hp a wheels and is a daily driver. The engine oil used is Penrite HPR 15 with an oil cooler. Runs 93psi hot (103psi cold) oil pressure. It runs a Weiand Xcelerator (single plane) intake manifold with a custom made S/steel oil splash/heat deflector and the EGR ports blocked off. It is dowled and port matched to heads. Heads are cast iron 2V with 2V S/steel, one piece 4V single groove, swirl polished, hardened chrome stems, hardened tips, they are slightly over sized heads, bronze guides, ported & polished, runs 10:1 compression, no pinging, uses PULP.
The only problem it has had is running hot. Even with a 4 core Aussie Desert cooler radiator, eng oil cooler, tranny oil cooler, P/S fluid cooler, EL thermo fans, t'stat', no t'stat, 3 different brands of w/pump, still ran hot. So i modified the impeller on the w/pump, problem solved.
The carby on it is a bit small, but does for a daily driver, a 650cfm Holley, vac 2nds, Spreadbore, Original Ford airfilter assem'y(ZH) with extra snorkel fitted, all in an XD sedan.
Anyway, it takes mucho moollah, how far do you wanna go?

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

sounds very similar to a build I did about a year ago, and 8K was right on the money also, I personally thought I got taken for a ride on the heads (2.8K) but I guess I must have made the cost up somewhere else, and yup 300rwhp was the same result.

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

the last budget build for a clevo I done was built to look almost standard in an XB GT (my dads toy)
I used 2V cast closed chamber heads ,but opened the combustion chambers to make 10.6:1 compression in a .030" 351,Ialso put a bit of time into the exhaust ports but only used 4V exhaust valves matched to 2V undercut titanium inlets, cam is a solid custom grind (many thanks to Johnson racing cams for the special order) with .620" on the intake & .690 on the exhaust and 250 degrees @ .050".
the only work on the bottom end is a balance & polish/shot peening. Just be very particular with conrod resizing as I haven't seen many clevo's without rooted big ends due to a very low standard on accuracy throughout the industry.
total cost including machining was $4000 or there abouts, with power figures hitting 330hp at the treads, and this isn't tuned yet.

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Yeah I outsourced all my work, didnt touch the engine just moved it from place to place to get the work done, so I spose 4K would have been very easy to get I reckon. my 300hp is getting pushed out of a single 2" pipe, larger pipes and I think 300 will be a number of the past :)

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]