Fordmods Logo

302 Clevo Backfiring...Help 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:33 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xr6ute, XE351,65 fastback muzzy

QLD, Australia

if i were you i would go to cheapa auto spares 1st or call the Ashmore branch ask them,,THEY WILL HELP YOU LOTS!! THAY HAVE QUALIFIED MECHANICS THAT WORK THEIR, (NOT 16 YEAR OLDS).i lived in Nerang for over 22years then went overseas for 4years ,I stayed back in Nerang for 2weeks then moved to Darwin NT every thing changed on the coast in that time. I think CHIPTORQUE are still on Lawrence drive Nerang and their was another dyno across the road they might still be there, thats AUTO LEADERS I think he did a bit of carby work. I know another place the CARB CLINIC but they will rob the blind !!!they piss me off just thinkig of them ?:")(*&^%$#@!!!!! I didnt want to tell you the company name but theres one older guy in their that helped me out once ,top bloke. BUT THAT OTHER FUGN PRIIICCKKK!!!! I think he,s the owner now ,he wouldnt give a rats a** to ya !! $%$#*+% I knew heaps of guys that couldnt put up with his bullshiiieeett!! their on the corner of NERANG SOUTHPORT RD AND BAILEY CRES DIAGONAL TO SUNSHINE FORD ON THE ROUNDABOUT IN ASHMORE. go their AFTER!! you tryed everything !! and everyone else!!

xr6 ute, XE 351, 65 fastback muzzy

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Another update
THE MIND BOGGLES.....

I went to get fuel today (runnin low) and I got this card from a Freedom servo that after puttin' $25 or more of Premium fuel they stamp ya card & on the 6th time they knock 10cents a litre off.
I was lookin at the back of the card for some reason and in small print it turns out they mix thier 95 & 98 octane fuels with 10% ethenol. :evil:
Now I had a real bad experience with the wifes XF runnin on this sh.t, so I lobbed into a BP chucked in $40 and took off.
Dead set after about 10 minutes of driving the XC had more go in it and no flat spot in the carbi :?: and after drivin for about 1 hour it hasn't backfired since.

I've still got some tweakin' to do and I have to chase up some of your sugestions to iron out the bugs,
but I would like to say a BIG THANKS to everyone for thier help. :D :D

Knower of ALL......Master of NOTHING !!!

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:08 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

Carb looks like it's a 600 to 700 CFM (?4160?) with vacuum secondaries. Not sure of the model number (my old reference book has long gone).
Looks like the choke assembly's disappeared!
The accelerator pump is pushed by the spring loaded vertical screw at the front of the first picture under the fuel banjo connection.
It's possible that the cam on the primary butterfly shaft driving the accelerator pump will need to be changed. I seem to remember that sometimes it can be reversed (turned upside down) to get the next/previous increment.

It's also possible, looking at the choke body modification, that several things may have been changed on this carby, including jets, power valve, vacuum springs etc. Possibly, the vacuum secondaries are opening way too early, causing the flat spot. The changes in the valve timing, caused by the new camshaft, will affect the manifold vacuum and this may alter the opening time and speed on the secondaries (the secondaries don't have an accelerator pump). The vacuum actuator for the secondaries is the large diaphragm housing in the top left on the second photo.

Sounds like its improving already anyway...

BA Mk1 XR6T Auto HgAg G&D Enhanced 232rwkw 18" ROH Strike wheels 245-40/18 Tyres
AU3 Futura Wagon I6 Auto Liquid Silver 17" BAXR6 wheels, PBR Performance brakes

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Mate for all the hasle it easier to buy a new carbie or atleast a new reco ...
I'd say its way lean...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
Mate for all the hasle it easier to buy a new carbie or atleast a new reco ...
I'd say its way lean...

Sounds like a good idea...

BA Mk1 XR6T Auto HgAg G&D Enhanced 232rwkw 18" ROH Strike wheels 245-40/18 Tyres

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xr6ute, XE351,65 fastback muzzy

QLD, Australia

ethanol mix fuel is a good drop you just got to run a little bit richer it burns cleaner, what i dont understand is that in the USA ethanol fuel is higher octane and is cheaper than regular unleaded , go figure.

xr6 ute, XE 351, 65 fastback muzzy

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

what about vacuum leaks? they give flat spots, from experience the tin gasket is better if you use a paper gasket on the head side, but check that accelerator pump linkage and reset it if required,
to set it , have the engine warm, then turn off adjust the screw open until there is no play in the idle position, then open the throttle fully to ensure there's no binding, keep opening it until you have about 1mm of lift left on the linkage at full throttle, if you still have probs check you're plug gaps & colours, fuel-spark-mechanical faults are all possible areas ,so check 1 thing at a time
holley carbs are basic to rebuild and pretty cheap to get parts for aswell ,don't be scared of em' you can have a lot of fun too

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:37 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Does anyone know of the top of thier head what a holly carbi kit is worth?

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Squirt wrote:
Does anyone know of the top of thier head what a holly carbi kit is worth?
Depending on what carby you have, if you give me the list # which is on the choke housing I can tell you what carby you have & what jets ,power valve & discharge nossle(s) it should have in it.
as a general rule of thumb ,when using premium fuel you should reduce jet sizes by 1-2 sizes due to the density of the fuel
kenny

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I'm not sure on which number your referring to as I don't have a choke on this carbi, BUT, the only number I have found is # 4559, which is located on the L/H/Side (looking at photo) between the throats and the vaccum diaphram PIC http://www.geocities.com/xbgtford/Holly2.JPG
(Well you can kinda make out the numbers in the casting)

And yes I have always run it on 98 octane Premium but I was unaware of any adjustments that had to or should be made to jets in order to run better.

Thanks

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Squirt wrote:
I'm not sure on which number your referring to as I don't have a choke on this carbi, BUT, the only number I have found is # 4559, which is located on the L/H/Side (looking at photo) between the throats and the vaccum diaphram PIC http://www.geocities.com/xbgtford/Holly2.JPG
(Well you can kinda make out the numbers in the casting)

And yes I have always run it on 98 octane Premium but I was unaware of any adjustments that had to or should be made to jets in order to run better.

Thanks
OK, you should find the # on the metering block if it hasn't been changed, or on the base plate on the under side, the list # will be stamped not cast.
it appears to be a 600 vac by looks , but there were hundreds of different set ups so unless you know which one, it will be harder to get right. but dont let this scare you, if you can't find a #, list the jet sizes & plate # ,also the # on the power valve and I may be able to identify it if it hasn't been modified
kenny

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I just had another look at the pic & noticed the secondaries are wet looking, make sure these aren't dripping whilst idling,
notice the difference between primaries & secondaries, I would be checking my plugs if I were you, I think you will find they are fouled causing all you're problems

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

kenny wrote:
I just had another look at the pic & noticed the secondaries are wet looking, make sure these aren't dripping whilst idling,
notice the difference between primaries & secondaries, I would be checking my plugs if I were you, I think you will find they are fouled causing all you're problems

Now... this reminds me of a problem I had years ago with a very similar 600 Vacuum Secondary Holley carb on a 302W. New from the shop the secondary butterflies were not adjusted properly meaning that they were slightly more open at idle than they were supposed to be. Not knowing this, it was necessary open the idle mixture screws on the primaries to get a good idle mixture (the secondaries don't have idle or off-idle fuel circuits). When cruising on the primaries, the off-idle fuel supply (not adjustable?) was excessively lean due to the airflow through to secondaries causing some bad flat spots under normal driving.
It would be a good idea to check the secondary butterflies for proper stop adjustment, I think they need to be as closed as possible without binding in the throttle body venturis.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2