302 fuel and power 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: 302 fuel and power
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xc falcon

NSW, Australia

hi
ive just bought a xc with a totaly stock 302 and 3 speed auto.
My questions are.
can i run premium unleaded with an additive such as flash lube or will this harm the engine?
And of course what are the best mods to make it go better? i will put on some extractors. but im not sure what to do after that, im not looking for huge power just good low and midrange grunt. and also any ideas on how much it would cost. I would have all the work done by a mechanic.
thanks.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

SA, Australia

Gday, mild cam, extractors and a decent carby and manifold would be a good start without spending mega dollars.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I cant see why you cant run premium,some sort of upper head lube will be needed though.
As for mods,money is the first factor,but yeah a mild cam,set of lifters,check the pushrods,maybe a good dual plane manifold,get the heads freshened,and a nice set of extractors.
Depending on Ks on the engine,maybe a complete rebuild might be needed.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

if its a stock 302, then you might be better off putting some $ away, and building a 351

If you plan on changing the cam / lifters, you will most likely find due to the age of it that the timing cover is corroded, the timing chain and gears are stuffed, valve springs will need to be changed, and stem seals too.
Then you might find it needs a new water pump and on it goes. Your probably better off getting hold of a good block, 351 crank and rods, and slowly build up a motor. It would be pointless spending $$ on a 302 then later deciding you want to go 351 and having to do it over again.

A fairly moderate 351 will get you around 260-300 kw easy, and the torque to back it up.

Post subject: Old School Ford V8s!
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Hey, I have a 302C with a 351 crank and rods. It keeps the standard 302 closed chamber heads. This is the best conbination for the street because there is plenty of low to mid range power. The 302 heads give good bang for your dollar. Ive used this combination before. A set of tri-Y headers and a holley 600 is all you need. Put in a XD XE electronic dizzy to stop burning out points in a standard dizzy. A edelbrock dualplane manifold will also be a good idea. Mine runs on unleaded and also premium with a little moreys upper cylinder lubricant added to the fuel tank after filling up with fuel.

Post subject: Old School Ford V8s!
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Hey, I have a 302C with a 351 crank and rods. It keeps the standard 302 closed chamber heads. This is the best conbination for the street because there is plenty of low to mid range power. The 302 heads give good bang for your dollar. Ive used this combination before. A set of tri-Y headers and a holley 600 is all you need. Put in a XD XE electronic dizzy to stop burning out points in a standard dizzy. A edelbrock dualplane manifold will also be a good idea. Mine runs on unleaded and also premium with a little moreys upper cylinder lubricant added to the fuel tank after filling up with fuel.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]