Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Vic wrote:
TKFDXR8 wrote:
the motor in my car has only done 95K, which is nohing

95k is bugger all - it's just nicely run in!

s-tranzor wrote:
a strong bottom end would provide a good base for a blower one day down the track also :)

Mind you, seeing as the stock block is so thin walled etc, you can stroke it or you can SC it but doing both on the stock block would IMO be more than the block could handle.

Over reving and bad tune destroys engines.. They can quite easy handle 450 h.p.. The bigger centrificals don't require high rpm to make power..Using the torque and lower rpm on good engine .There's some reliability in lower rpm... Where an N/A engine would rev higher to make similar power..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU2 XR8

NT, Australia

also i led to beleive that SC engine can be more economical as it using compressed air to increase the pressure to give a better more efficient fuel burn, as opposed to a stroker which, theoritically, substitiutes economy for more burn becasue of increased cc. i know there have been instances of a bigger engine being more economical, but i think there is more too it than that.

of course the SC engine will use more than before if pushed hard all the time, but that's with any engine N/A or not.

i think a low boost SC system is the way to go for a good existing engine.

i wish to be a ring on a maidens hand so when she wipe herself i see the promised land.

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

EBXR8380 wrote:
Over reving and bad tune destroys engines.. They can quite easy handle 450 h.p.. The bigger centrificals don't require high rpm to make power..Using the torque and lower rpm on good engine .There's some reliability in lower rpm... Where an N/A engine would rev higher to make similar power..

Yep, high rpm, s**t tuning and a poorly assembled engine is a stock block killer but just on the point of power, I reckon anyone who built a proper 347 with a ( well funded ) great H/C/I setup and tune would get more than 450hp and the same with a properly built S/C 5L. But both together would be north of 500hp.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

TKFDXR8 wrote:
also i led to beleive that SC engine can be more economical as it using compressed air to increase the pressure to give a better more efficient fuel burn, as opposed to a stroker which, theoritically, substitiutes economy for more burn becasue of increased cc. i know there have been instances of a bigger engine being more economical, but i think there is more too it than that.

of course the SC engine will use more than before if pushed hard all the time, but that's with any engine N/A or not.

i think a low boost SC system is the way to go for a good existing engine.

cruising with occasional spirited acceleration, mine hasnt really changed economy wise with the blower.

Even on the strip, it doesnt use much at all as I first thought, even though I upgraded the injectors from 19 lbs - 42 lb injectors I was expecting the worse, I probably get aroun 15-17kms per 100km and thats puting the foot down a bit too, eith a few stop starts. Its when cruising that the fuel economy is better.

Quote:
I reckon anyone who built a proper 347 with a ( well funded ) great H/C/I setup and tune would get more than 450hp and the same with a properly built S/C 5L.

I was hoping to put it into practice, I was going to go for a set of 185 heads, blower type cam and a set of rockers and a pulley swap for 10 psi and test the limits of the block, I reckon 430-480 rwhp would be within reach.

Still undecided though. :?

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

schnoods wrote:
I was hoping to put it into practice, I was going to go for a set of 185 heads, blower type cam and a set of rockers and a pulley swap for 10 psi and test the limits of the block, I reckon 430-480 rwhp would be within reach.

Just my opinion. There are people who've put together 500hp N/A 347 strokers and people who I believe have done almost the same with a S/C 5L. As Graeme said, you can keep the RPM down and get away with doing both on a stock block but the potential of both together, built with high flow in mind would seem a waste on a stock block as you can well exceed 500hp - may as well put that combo together on a reliable aftermarket block and allow your thousands of dollars to really work to the nth degree.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU2 XR8

NT, Australia

yes, but now we talking big $$$.

best bang for buck, with minimal fuss, i beleive that a good SC system on a good motor and sensible boost, is the way to go.

another good point is that, if you want to keep authenticity (Tickford), a SC system will not compromise this, as you can just take it off. as i stated before, you can also sell the SC if required, at least getting some of your investment back.

i wish to be a ring on a maidens hand so when she wipe herself i see the promised land.

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Vic wrote:
schnoods wrote:

Just my opinion. There are people who've put together 500hp N/A 347 strokers and people who I believe have done almost the same with a S/C 5L. As Graeme said, you can keep the RPM down and get away with doing both on a stock block but the potential of both together, built with high flow in mind would seem a waste on a stock block as you can well exceed 500hp - may as well put that combo together on a reliable aftermarket block and allow your thousands of dollars to really work to the nth degree.

Thats why I said "was". I figured if im going to pull a motor apart, I might as well go for some cubes, For the price of a dart block, 347 stroker kit and a few bits and pieces, I can buy a 408 cube short block for my Panel van with steel crank, and forged internals, assembled with a 9.5: 1 comp ratio (depending on heads).

I love the windsor to bits, But If the cost is similar, why not go bigger. I may still keep the blower for later down the track though, a blow thru carb set up might give me the shove the old Val needs.

But If i were to do it, RPM would be 5500 max, just to be on the safe side.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2