351 Clevo standard to electronic ign 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: 351 Clevo standard to electronic ign
Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:25 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Gday

Whats a good electronic ignition kit to suit 351clevo? I want to spend $300 to $450.

What is involved in installing the kit, just put it together and wire it up?

Thanx

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

The original Bosch unit from the XD is excellent... another good one was the Accel.
Best bet is to give Paul at Performance Distributors a call on (03) 9467-5028.
He builds and curves Dizzy's to suit your specs and is the cheapest around... i don't think there would be a problem posting it to you either.
He's a good honest bloke, i've been dealing with him for years and i've sent many happy customers to him.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:36 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Sounds good, I'll give him a call. Thanks

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:04 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Be sure to determine which block you have before buying a distributor.
Late blocks (XD-XE)have a smaller pilot hole in the block below the drive gear. Assuming you have an original XB engine you will have the larger type which means an XD-XE electronic distributor shaft will flop around like a C**k-in-a-sock. This can cause cam gear failure,dizzy gear failure,oil pump shaft failure and even a broken block!
Measure your current points dizzy shaft below the cam gear and take some verniers with you when you pick up your new one.

Pete.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Spot on XR9, i assume he is running the blue motor being an XB if it's orig.
I ran the XD unit it a blue block, but when i had the dizzy done i gave him an old electronic from an XC and he fitted that into the XD dizzy.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:29 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA Futura

QLD, Australia

Mac

Take a look at a Pertronix Ignitor kit. You keep your old dizzy, take out the points and install this unit, fits under the dizzy cap and theres no extra wires. I had one on my 68 Fairlane ( 302 Windsor ) never missed a beat. They are available for Bosch dizzys. You can buy them on line at GT Performance in Melbourne www.fomoco.com.au ($269) or more info at www pertronix.com These units are very popular with Mustangers in the States. You can also get hi performance coils to match.

Cheers

Chris
89 Mustang GT 5.0
73 XA GS Coupe 351

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:59 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

The Pertronix looks the go. I dont want to have to replace the whole dizzy, just the internals. I replaced the cap, points, leads, plugs when I got the car and it goes fine at the moment....except for a miss sometimes that I cant trace, stalls the car and gives me hell but only lasts a few minutes and then goes, happens one in 10 drives just when the engine starts to warm up.

How do I tell what dizzy Iv got at the moment? I bought a Bosch cap when I got the car but would Bosch make caps for other brands?

I'll prob go for something like the EIB-03 (suits Bosch, fits all inside dizzy) or the EIAX-03 (suits Autolite - Motorcraft, all inside dizzy), depending on what I have, along with the COILFT-03 flamethrower coil.

Is this a good plan?

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'd rather spend a bit extra and get a dizzy done... you throw one of those units in and the curve could be up the s**t.
If you want the most out of your ignition, at least get it re-curved.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

What is re-curving?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:14 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

There also used to be a conversion kit from bosch that would convert the stock distributor. Don't know if it's available anymore.
I have a few U.S. contacts who tell me not to touch the pertronix...they say they aren't reliable. Also don't touch Pro-Comp stuff...utter junk!!!
Personally, if I couldn't make a bosch electronic fit I'd get a Ford Durapark from the U.S. The large cap prevents crossfire with the extra high energy that is being produced from a modern 12V coil...BTW remember to remove the resistance wire from your harness that supplies your current 9V points coil.
Now if you really want the best ignition system I'd go for an Accel billetech(with the large cap) and a Crane HI-6 with a PS-92 coil. The new Crane electronically programmable advance curve distributor with a large cap is also worth considering.
Vic, Recurving means resetting the advance curve of the distributor. This is mechanically set via changeable advance weights with most distributors and there is also an offset provided by the Vacuum advance unit on most distributors. The new Crane one I referred to is adjustable electronically which means it can be adjusted whilst in the car on the dyno therefore saving time and more likely to produce the best results all round and it won't suffer from changing advance due to wear of the advance mechanism over time.
BTW if fuel economy and light throttle torque is important to you don't be caught without Vac advance.

Pete.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

This is all kind of interesting!
May I assume that if I keep the stock ECU but changed the stock dizzy to this electronically adjustable unit, that the engine timing would be better off and I would find a noticeable gain?

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Definatly give paul turner a call at performance distributors, EFSVO put me onto him years ago and havnet gone anywhere else since.

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:36 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Vic wrote:
This is all kind of interesting!
May I assume that if I keep the stock ECU but changed the stock dizzy to this electronically adjustable unit, that the engine timing would be better off and I would find a noticeable gain?

Nope, This is only for carbed vehicles. What you have now is way better.

Pete.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Oh okay thanks Pete.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:20 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

I'm taking a look at an Accel tomorrow on a 351. Has electronic timing adjustment. I think he said it was $800 for the kit though.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]