Fordmods Logo

351C cooling troubles 

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:13 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ef Fairmont

QLD, Australia

What sort of mods where done to engine IE porting camshaft(mild-wild)
block bored oversize. Have you changed intake carby. You could be running leaner at cruise speed if the engine is working better increasing heat.There is so many problems following rebuilds like the scale coming of the inside off the block and clogging up the bottom of the radiator this can be your problem. If the engine was built using quality parts you should have no problem's after you get it fixed'

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

Before you spend a s**t load of money I would remove the thermos and the shroud and go for a drive without fans at all. Do it on the highway and take a support vehicle.

At highway speeds fans just get in the way. This test will let you know if your radiator is up to the task.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

i was gonna rip the shroud off and zip-tie the thermos to the radiator and go for a cruise, but i only got home around 20 min ago.

engine mods - custom medium spec cam, acl race pistons, 6in 302 rods, 9.8:1 compression, 20thou over, comp valve springs, edelbrock performer, nothing special, but goes alright, probably more mods, i just can't remember them off the top of my head.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i ended up taking the shroud off, and zip-tied the thermos onto the radiator.
the car ran just over halfway on the freeway, but got hotter around town.
the zipties are only temporary to try a few things out.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:09 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ef Fairmont

QLD, Australia

In one of your earlier post you said that it is pushing water out overflow.
When running does it have constant bubbles in the radiator. If so bad news.
Try this when engine is dead cold start engine and check cyl heads that they are heating up evenly ie frt to back side to side if one side is heating up before the other OOPS head gasket upside down.
The thermostat mod may be a good option only cut the plunger part out and put the outer back in as small restriction.

Does the person responsible for assembling the engine know about your problems.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

hardly any water came out of the overflow today, that's after i ripped the shroud off.
I'll try the warmup test on the heads tomorrow.
i've checked for bubbles, none.
Heater is not connected, just bypassed.
I should ring them to check on the head hasket fitment, but im starting to think it's a combination of the radiator and thermos which aren't powerful enough.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

Silly question but are your thermos turning the right way ???? May have a reverse polarity problem ?????

The leading edge of the blade should be closest to the radiator and the negative camber should be on the engine side.

Another thing, are your thermos the blow through or the suck through variety and are they fitted the way they were designed ??

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

thermos are the right way, they're mounted at the back of the radiator, sucking the air through the radiator, and they're the right way.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

might be bit off the topic but my 302 in my stockie gets fairly warm, bout 98 deg an i got a V8 falcon rad in the front and a big a*** 80 series landcruiser one sittin in the bak with four thermos and a shroud. haha

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

it runs cool when cruising at 60+ km/h, even when you get up it on the freeway, it runs cool.
The temp climbs when slow or stopped at a set of lights.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XD ute, BA XR8

NSW, Australia

ok, here is what I have in my ute and I have had no overheating dramas at all. 383 clevo which has been bored out 40 thou, and a bit of work done to it. Now I have one of those triple pass radiators in as well. Also have a separate tranny cooler that is on the front of it as well as the a/c radiator. Still running hoses through heater box etc. I think from memory I might have drill two 2-3mm holes in the thermastat and still running the factory engine clutch fan with the shroud.

hope this helps
Steve

No subsitute for cubic inches

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 8 images

WA, Australia

ive got a fairly worked clevo, and i had heating troubles with,,, a single 10 inch thermo, solid fan, flex fan, twin au ones,,, teh only fan i fit and reccomend is the VOLVO 16inch fans.. never had an over heating problem with it, ever.

theres pics of teh install in my gallery,

and more infrmation on the second page of this thread

http://www.fordmods.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2145

i miss you scotty, u goddamn goose!

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:20 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Pursuit 250

NSW, Australia

Thermo's have to be got right as the Clevo needs plenty of cooling. My engine wasn't standard I had twin DSL31 fans. Together these pump out 3000 cubic feet of air per minute which is perfect, you wouldn't want to be using anything that pumps less than 2600 cu ft/m or it will struggle a little. Also I used the GT radiator for increased capacity, got it cheap second hand and paid $90 to have it pulled apart cleaned and reassembled.
Any twin fan setup will draw big amperage and you must consider this when wiring. Is your alternator big enough to cope with the extra draw, Use properly amperage rated wire and wire each fan individually with seperate relays. This has two benefits, it distributes the current draw creating less heat in the wiring and fuse and this equates in less chance of blowinf the fuse when under long periods of use and also makes the relays last for ever instead of s**t themself after six months because of the circuit heat created with the draw. I ran 11.3:1 compression and LPG gas with worked heads and big cam and it ran cool as a cucumber. I learnt by trial and error, put in a 70 degree thermostat as well and you will be stoked. total cost in these mods for me were radiator $150 radiator service $90 twin DSL31's with all wiring and relays $350 Thermostat $8
$598 well spent no one could believe how cool my clevo ran, on the hotest day under extreme load with the A/C on pulling up a long haul mountain it might get to half on the guage and stay there and when you got over the top and levelled out it cooled to a quarter on the guage within two kilometers of normal driving. Hope this is advice you can use.

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i got a davies craig thermo switch and au2 twin thermos, it's all mounted in there, gonna do some little things to it, then test the cut-in of the thermos, and hope it makes a difference.
will post details.

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

all is good now, au thermos are awesome.
it's working well, it cuts in and out at around 1/4 to 1/3 on the temp gauge, while city driving, giving it some stick.
i am still using the standard radiator and water pump.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next