351c oil pump drive shaft removal 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: 351c oil pump drive shaft removal
Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Gday,

Ive got my dizzy out and am trying to remove the oil pump drive shaft from the bottom of the dizzy. Its the original single point distributor and I need to get it out so I can put it into my new dizzy. I have given it a good pull but it wont budge, is there a pin or something that I have to remove?

Thanks.

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Nah mate, it has a circlip on the shaft, they're not designed to come out through the top, you have to unbolt the oil pump and get them out that way.
You don't have to remove it anyway, it will slot into the dizzy when you drop it in.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:57 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Umm ok. This is what I'm dealing with.

Attachments:
351c dizzy+shaft.JPG
351c dizzy+shaft.JPG [ 187.64 KiB | Viewed 385 times ]

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ammm ??? The oil pump drive has come out with dissy..I guess you can carefully put it back but check oil pressure asap or with coil wire off so it doesnt start....
To do it properly you should drop sump fit new shaft with circlip...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ohhhhh dear, no circlip on that sucker LOL.
A bit of a b**ch putting it back in, use something that grabs a hold of it tight so it wont drop off and ease down back into the pump.
I see a lot of guys remove the clips when the engine is apart so they can remove the drive when they want / need to, personally i think it's a stupid idea to remove the clip.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:14 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

So I take it that this is bad...whats the worst thing that can happen if I dont take the sump off and replace it, just get the shaft out and put it in the new dizzy and then drop it into the oil pump? I want to avoid taking the sump off if I can as the engine is in the car.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NF Fairlane

QLD, Australia

worse case scenario would be that rod falls out of dizzy as your trying to install and falls down into sump requiring you to unbolt sump and fish it out

If you don't do it whilst your livin, you aint got no bloody chance when your dead!!!

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TickXR wrote:
worse case scenario would be that rod falls out of dizzy as your trying to install and falls down into sump requiring you to unbolt sump and fish it out

Yeah that's pretty much it, and be careful as you'll have a cpl of goes dropping the dizzy into place, i usually use an 8 mm socket and turn the oil pump drive just a fraction at a time so it slots in with the cam gear and pump drive.
Your problem will arise as you lift the dizzy up again to get it to slot in, don't let the drive drop into the sump.
You can blame the guy who built the engine for that problem.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:45 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Ok then, I'm going to buy a new driveshaft this week. I'll seat the new shaft in the oil pump while Iv got the timing cover off and drop the new dizzy ontop when the valley cover is back on.
Ive got the GT dash with the oilf pressure gauge but it doesnt work, jumps up over 700kpa at startup but then goes and sits on 0. I'll buy an Autometer or similar before I start the engine to keep an eye on things.

Thanks for the help!

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: F150 EL mont&2001 cobra

QLD, Australia

I had this problem. I just did what the last bloke did to your's glued the shaft to the dizzy but I used salastic not aryldite.

Smoken the hides in top gear

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:18 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Well I just managed to get the old shaft out. All I did was rest the gear in my boot and give the supported section a couple of sharp blows with a tap hammer and the jarring of the shaft broke it free in no time. No damage to dizzy, not that it really matters. The old shaft looks fine so I'll use it again, I'll glue it into the dizzy with silastic I rekon. Hope it doesnt decide to fall out.

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XB 351 V8 & BA GT

NSW, Australia

[Quote:Ive got the GT dash with the oilf pressure gauge but it doesnt work, jumps up over 700kpa at startup but then goes and sits on 0. I'll buy an Autometer or similar before I start the engine to keep an eye on things.[Quote]

Did your old dash have an oil pressure light instead of a gauge?? If so, when you install the new dash with the gauge, you will also have to replace the oil pressure switch aswell because they are different to the switches for the pressure "light"

XB 351 and BA GT

FordMods No: 288

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:47 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

When I bought the car the GT dash was already in it. I have noticed that there is an extra oil pressure sender with no wires attached to it. Maybe I have to run a new wire from the gauge to the other sender??? Actually no, too late, I got an Autometer oil pressure and water temp gauge on overnight delivery, ordered them thismorning, I needed something to fill the hole where the stereo used to be. I dont think I'll worry about it. Thanks anyway mate.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]