Fordmods Logo

5.0 flattening battery help! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: 5.0 flattening battery help!
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

Hi all,

Well the EF is slowly flattening the battery over a couple of days whilst not running and I need some ideas to sort it out. :(

I've checked that the boot and glove box lights are not on when closed.

It has been having some wierd mild surging problems while running under light load for a few weeks when cold. Can the TFI module somehow close-circuit when car not running and flatten the battery? What are TFI problem symptoms?

I have the iPod to premium sound mod installed and has been working great so far. However, the front left speaker has been running at a very quiet volume for a couple of weeks now (left split tweeter is OK, WTF?) and crackles when I turn the key to start the car. Is there any way the audio system can pull some voltage when the car is off i.e. in relation to the left speaker crackle, maybe a short circuit pulling voltage somehow? Tonight I noticed a very faint crackle through the LH speaker after the car was completely off which lasted for a few seconds then went quiet.

Basically, what systems could possibly be drawing current when car is off? Alternator issues maybe?

Thanks guys, appreciate your help!

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

I would assume it is the alternator.

I've had one rebuilt on mine, then shat itself 2 years later so I have bought one recently, not cheap being a 5.0L.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

How much for the new one? Now you're scaring me!

Mike

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Turn everthing off .. Shut doors and check load on fuses?? Pull fuse and check with multimeter/ test lamps..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:04 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

boot light?
alarm?

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thanks fellas.

How can I test for a faulty alternator? She's been running a bit off for a few weeks and I suspect voltage fluctuations in the ignition. It surges slightly, not missing completely like it's dropping a cylinder.

Thanks, Mike

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If the battery is down on one cell the alternator can over charge and cause tune issues.. I had to replace some sensors when this happened to my car back when it was JUST out of warrenty...
Multy meter across battery terminals will check charge... Check battery connections??

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC UTE

NSW, Australia

I have had two alternators do this on my 5L. (MY fault both times) The power seems to go through the ALT light on the dash, which tries to power all sorts of stuff on the ignition circuit. This may explain the crackle in the speakers.

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thanks for the replies fellas. I took the Ghia down to the auto elec yesterday and he ran some tests.

The alternator is OK, a little tired but functioning OK. We hooked up the multimeter and found that with everything off, something is drawing 0.7 volts! We ended up tracing it to the interior lights/ stereo circuit. All the lights are staying off OK, so it has to be stereo-related.

I have an extra monoblock sub amp in the boot, but apart from the iPod connector, the system is standard. Regarding the crackle from the front speaker (I have checked the connections inside the door), could the CD controller be faulty and drawing power when ign. off? I understand that it runs the front splits, but can audio gear pull voltage when faulty and powered down?

Thanks all, Mike

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Disconnect rear amp ??

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:13 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Pursuit 250

NSW, Australia

In a stereo case it can usually be related to either poor wiring or the Amp. With the amp it can sometimes be overcome by ptting a good solid heavy guage earth lead (10G) from the amp chassis to car chassis. My son didn't believe me till he tried it. Worked for him.

Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thanks again guys.

I've disconnected the two amps, CD stacker, headunit /DSP and interior lights. There is still a 1 amp draw on the battery measured across the fuse terminals under the dash. The glovebox and boot light are definitely not staying on.

Does anyone know what else draws power from this circuit (red vertical fuse, top left on fuse panel)? When Ipull the fuse, the stereo, interior lights, aerial and Smartlock are cut.

Also, now I'm getting intermittent sound from the front speakers, but sound from the sub channel is OK. Checked and cleaned all plugs and terminals to the deck, everything tight. WTH?

HELP!!!

Mike

Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:00 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Pursuit 250

NSW, Australia

Does the car have an alarm? A fault can give a one amp draw and they are often integrated with the lighting circuit. Happened on one of my cars a few years ago with the alarm. Drawing at straws but worth a look.

Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

No alarm fitted Paul. I did check amps across the central locking fuse terminals and there was current there with everything turned off also.

How do I check for power draw at the battery? Positive to ground, negative to ground etc.?

I'm just about to fit a fat earth lead to the amps and see what happens.

Mike

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]