Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: 5.0 to 5.6, or 5.8 or 7.0
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I have been thinking about a 347 stroker, but have come to the conclusion that maybe i would be better of with a 351 windsor. Retro fit all the goodies of my current 5.0 and whammo, 5.8 liters of pure goodness. My question is will the intakes and serpetine belt arangement bolt up to an old school windsor, or should i go looking for and injected 351 to start with. Also is there any clearance problems within the EF engine bay. I have read that the 351 is 1/2 an inch taller in the deck height. So food for thought 351, or 347 stroker. Cause i could always stroke a 351 to 427inches, then i would have a 7.0, not a 5.0
lol
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

well there is only 1 efi351 that i know of and thast XR9ute :)
i would be speaking toi him if you want to inject a 351 :)

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

You will need at least a new intake manifold lower. Because the deck it taller the heads are further apart.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Damn I wish FM1 didn't die, 351W in a E series, we had this well and truly covered, and in other forums too.

Bonnet clearances maybe a problem.

Tighter header clearances etc

Apparently the serpentine belt setup can be swapped.

Harmonic balancer needs to be either factory 5.8L serpentine or aftermarket to suit 28oz, different spacing for pulleys and different timing positions to suit timing case cover.

You either need a retro fit roller kit, reground cam (Wade can do this cheap) or custom cam with smaller base circle and use the 5.0L spider to locate the lifters, or find one of the rare 5.8L roller blocks (apparently 5.8L roller blocks do not have the same 500HP limiting problem of the 5.0L)

351 has 3.5" stroke and still has 1.7 rod to stroke ratio, can be easily bettered by using 6.2" aftermarket rods or 6.58" 351/400M rods as pistons are available off the shelf, not custom machined. (Layman's terms means more torque and less piston to bore wear, in theory it should last longer)

Limited amount of 351W bottom intakes available, unlike the 5.0L.

May need a custom sump. (5.0L sump won't fit)

And this list can go further.

Personally I would do it if I had the money, I have a 351 bottom end for just that purpose.

One of the fordforums.com.au moderators that comes here under a different name, has or had a EB fitted with a 351W, I am unsure whether it is registered as 351W, so I won't mention his name.

Contact your local engineer or transport dept etc to find out legalities with doing it.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR6 Turbo, XR8, Transit

VIC, Australia

347 = 5.7L

yeah - I am being picky.

the 5.6L's (T3's) were 342 strokers.

dont mind me... I even correct LS1 owners when they try and say they have a 350... its a 346!!!

1993 ED XR8 - Poly Green
2006 BF GT - Silhouette Black
2011 FG XR6 Ute - Nitro Blue

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I thought they were 347 strokers. Car manufacturers have made a pretty bad habit of rounding up and rounding down engine capacities. Even if an engine is 4.905 (or whatever) litres they will still badge it as being a 5.0 litre and vice versa. The funniest one is all the aftermarket holden stroker kits that are 355 cubic inches or 5.7 Litres. Now any person with half a brain would know they are at least 5.8 Litres since that is a capacity of a 351. Every time I hear a VN driving knobhead talk about his 5.7 stroker I just piss myself.

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
well there is only 1 efi351 that i know of and thast XR9ute :)
i would be speaking toi him if you want to inject a 351 :)

Thought pete's was a clevo?

Maybe this would be a good option as opposed to tracking down a 351w roller block/retrofitting roller cam to older block?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

351 roller didn't come on production till 1995...
Strange the Lightning is flat tappet after that date ....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Post subject: Re: 5.0 to 5.6, or 5.8 or 7.0
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Ghia 391W

WA, Australia

FPV56L wrote:
I have been thinking about a 347 stroker, but have come to the conclusion that maybe i would be better of with a 351 windsor. Retro fit all the goodies of my current 5.0 and whammo, 5.8 liters of pure goodness. My question is will the intakes and serpetine belt arangement bolt up to an old school windsor, or should i go looking for and injected 351 to start with. Also is there any clearance problems within the EF engine bay. I have read that the 351 is 1/2 an inch taller in the deck height. So food for thought 351, or 347 stroker. Cause i could always stroke a 351 to 427inches, then i would have a 7.0, not a 5.0
lol
Brett

G'day Brett,

I'm building a 391W for my ED (originally I6). Clearance between the towers isn't a drama just hood and K-member have fitment issues. Same for you if you decide 351W. You will more than likely have to mod the hood to clear the intake. I'm using a Victor 5.8. At 11.5" tall it's a certain hood mod. Using a decent sump will also require k-member mods for clearance. Nothing a grinder can't fix though. Just need to remove some material from the inner flaps of the main supports then seam weld flush. The flaps are simply there to spot weld the upper and lower potions from the factory.

Think about engine management also. I will be using Tweecer to inform my 5.0L EEC-IV ECU that it's actually got 6.4L hanging off it as well as 42lb injectors, MAF mods etc... If you're planning on mods, Tweecer is the go. Your ECU needs to be suppoted by Tweecer software however. Not a lot of aussie ECU's are supported, especially EEC-V. Check out www.tweecer.com and if you're interested quote your ECU catch-code (printed on the ECU case) to XR9UTE and he'll be able to tell you if yours is supported. He is also the Aus dealer for Tweecer.

Other issues as per Damage said. While you're at it the 391 is worth considering. Pretty cheap stroker using Scat 3.85" crank which allows you to retain stock 351 rods and uses stock 302 pistons!

For mine, go the 351W block for sure. Good luck.

ED391W

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]