Fordmods Logo

5.0efi vs I6 

 

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
 Post subject: 5.0efi vs I6
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:25 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 50

Joined: 10th Nov 2004

Ride: EFII Fairmont Ghia 5.0

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

I am enquiring about the amount of power to $ you can get out of a 5.0efi vs the I6. I notice some people here have spent many thousands on their v8s and "only" have around 200rwkws. Yet I6 people have beyond that power figure with seemingly the same amount of cash spent. Is this because the 5.0 is "not as good" a engine? I'm not saying it is, I am just wondering why the power difference vs money spent?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 5.0efi vs I6
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 617

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

aber_run wrote:
I am enquiring about the amount of power to $ you can get out of a 5.0efi vs the I6. I notice some people here have spent many thousands on their v8s and "only" have around 200rwkws. Yet I6 people have beyond that power figure with seemingly the same amount of cash spent. Is this because the 5.0 is "not as good" a engine? I'm not saying it is, I am just wondering why the power difference vs money spent?


Mate, i know what u mean, i have a 'series 1' el xr8 manual, rated at 170 or so flywheel kilowatts, and i reckon its pretty s**t performance wise, thats why i was looking to rebuild the top end of the engine. I was looking at a Trickflow kit, including heads, upper & lower inlet manifolds, cam and all valve gear, and its only rated at 350 to 360 horsepower at the flywheel, equating to about 200 - 220rwkw. I was kinda expecting more for the near 5 grand price tag, but have been told that those figures are about the highest ill get without stroking or super/turbo charging it. Meh, oh well..
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 5.0efi vs I6
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 1679

Joined: 8th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 32 GTR

Location: Greenacre
NSW, Australia

Bassfreak55 wrote:
aber_run wrote:
I am enquiring about the amount of power to $ you can get out of a 5.0efi vs the I6. I notice some people here have spent many thousands on their v8s and "only" have around 200rwkws. Yet I6 people have beyond that power figure with seemingly the same amount of cash spent. Is this because the 5.0 is "not as good" a engine? I'm not saying it is, I am just wondering why the power difference vs money spent?


Mate, i know what u mean, i have a 'series 1' el xr8 manual, rated at 170 or so flywheel kilowatts, and i reckon its pretty s**t performance wise, thats why i was looking to rebuild the top end of the engine. I was looking at a Trickflow kit, including heads, upper & lower inlet manifolds, cam and all valve gear, and its only rated at 350 to 360 horsepower at the flywheel, equating to about 200 - 220rwkw. I was kinda expecting more for the near 5 grand price tag, but have been told that those figures are about the highest ill get without stroking or super/turbo charging it. Meh, oh well..


Dude, an EL XR8 pumps out roughly 130rwkw stock i would be more then happy to pay 5k to get an extra 70-90rwkw.

About the I6 and the 5L my main idea is that the I6 has a larger market for it self and parts ain't that expensive compared to the 5L.

 

_________________

237.9 KW ATW

12.485

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1392

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: XR6 Turbo, XR8, Transit

Location: Somewhere
VIC, Australia

You cant really compare a V8 to an I6. Its just something that you cant do.!!!!

A V8 will have the potential to get a LOT more power than a I6, but you have to remember - there is more to a V8...

ie - heads - there is 1 on a I6, and 2 on a V8
extractors - 1 for a I6, 1 pair for a V8
spark plug leads - 6 for an I6, 8 for a V8 etc etc etc

stuff like exhausts will be cheaper for an I6, cos there are millions of them..

 

_________________

www.XR8Chic.com
1993 ED XR8 - Poly Green, AFR 185 Alloy heads, Edlebrock Performer RPM Manifold, Crane 2031, T56 6 Speed, 3.9 diff, = 205.7 rwkw.
1993 ED Fairmont - Cobalt Blue, 5L, 17" CSA's and not much else.
1969 Mustang Fastback - Gunmetal Grey, 302, Auto, LHD. Doesn't go very hard, but looks sexy as !

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: 5.0efi vs I6
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 617

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

Snow_white wrote:
Dude, an EL XR8 pumps out roughly 130rwkw stock i would be more then happy to pay 5k to get an extra 70-90rwkw.


Yeah i know what u mean, but what happens after the heads, intake, exhaust, cam & all the valve gear? Is there any way of getting more than 220rwkw on the windsor without stroking/charging it while maintaining its drivability on the street? If so, tell me how, id love to know, cos ive been told otherwise.. :cry:
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1392

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: XR6 Turbo, XR8, Transit

Location: Somewhere
VIC, Australia

Well if you believe the guy who won Highest power 5L ford at the Holden Ford show - you can get 250+ rwkw out of a NA 5L.

Funnily enough when I commented on the fact that I knew the previous owner of the car, and it was actually a 347 stroker... he went quiet.

 

_________________

www.XR8Chic.com
1993 ED XR8 - Poly Green, AFR 185 Alloy heads, Edlebrock Performer RPM Manifold, Crane 2031, T56 6 Speed, 3.9 diff, = 205.7 rwkw.
1993 ED Fairmont - Cobalt Blue, 5L, 17" CSA's and not much else.
1969 Mustang Fastback - Gunmetal Grey, 302, Auto, LHD. Doesn't go very hard, but looks sexy as !

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 617

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

XR8Chic wrote:
Well if you believe the guy who won Highest power 5L ford at the Holden Ford show - you can get 250+ rwkw out of a NA 5L.

Funnily enough when I commented on the fact that I knew the previous owner of the car, and it was actually a 347 stroker... he went quiet.


Lol, i bet he did!! :D

But even 250ish rwkw isnt that much from a NA 347, i dont think anyway...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 1679

Joined: 8th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 32 GTR

Location: Greenacre
NSW, Australia

Bassfreak55 wrote:
XR8Chic wrote:
Well if you believe the guy who won Highest power 5L ford at the Holden Ford show - you can get 250+ rwkw out of a NA 5L.

Funnily enough when I commented on the fact that I knew the previous owner of the car, and it was actually a 347 stroker... he went quiet.


Lol, i bet he did!! :D

But even 250ish rwkw isnt that much from a NA 347, i dont think anyway...



hahaha, dude are you planning on winning the nats dyno comp or breaking mach speeds?? lol.... Ever driven a car with 250rwkw, no offence dude but you should work your self up in power, i learnt to crawl first not run. :lol:

 

_________________

237.9 KW ATW

12.485

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 617

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

Snow_white wrote:
hahaha, dude are you planning on winning the nats dyno comp or breaking mach speeds?? lol.... Ever driven a car with 250rwkw, no offence dude but you should work your self up in power, i learnt to crawl first not run. :lol:


Hehe, shoosh up! :P
The last car i had was a XF 250 X-flow, and now ive got the xr8 and have gotten used to that, but now i want more!!

Yeah ur probably right, i might be bein a lil greedy, but you cant blame me now, can you? :)

And nope, never driven a car with anywhere near 250rwkw.. The fastest car ive driven is my xr8. Only about 130rwkw or so like XR8Chic said, but does 90rwkw feel like a s**t load more? In your opinion.

Sorry bout the stupid q's, but like i said, i havent really owned any 'powerful' cars apart from my current ride.

Cheers.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 2555

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Location: No Where
NSW, Australia

Snow_white wrote:
no offence dude but you should work your self up in power, i learnt to crawl first not run. :lol:


Theres no time like the present. Id rather the time spent 'building' up in power and getting used to it, like you said, actually getting used to such a high powered car, that way you get more experience on how to handle that kinda car and how it reacts to certain conditions.

P>S, Snow_white i still believe your still learning how to crawl LOL
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 2976

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: BF Typhoon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Sometime I too feel like my car is a slow slug POS, all i gotta do is jump in my 6cyl for a few days and then hop back in the 8, boy there is a difference, so long as it isnt too hot, it loses power in warmer weather a fair bit IMHO.
Altho, what car doesnt. :wink:

 

_________________

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 617

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

Daniel wrote:
Sometime I too feel like my car is a slow slug POS, all i gotta do is jump in my 6cyl for a few days and then hop back in the 8, boy there is a difference, so long as it isnt too hot, it loses power in warmer weather a fair bit IMHO.
Altho, what car doesnt. :wink:


Yeah i know its 'sorta' quick, i suppose, but if you compare the stock windsor it to the oil munching ls1's, theyve got nothing. Thats one of the reasons why i want a lil more power also, most of my mates are holden fans (god help them) with ls1's with up to 230kw at the engine. Compare that to my pissy 170kw and its laughable.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 2555

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Location: No Where
NSW, Australia

Daniel wrote:
Sometime I too feel like my car is a slow slug POS, all i gotta do is jump in my 6cyl for a few days and then hop back in the 8, boy there is a difference, so long as it isnt too hot, it loses power in warmer weather a fair bit IMHO.
Altho, what car doesnt. :wink:


I find that the same thing. If i drive the fairmont for ages it feels like it lags when i press the acc. Then take the 4 cylinder out and i almost got to put my foot down s**t loads to get the same feel. Although a good experiment would be getting into an 8 then a 3 or 4 cylinder.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 1679

Joined: 8th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 32 GTR

Location: Greenacre
NSW, Australia

Bassfreak55 wrote:

And nope, never driven a car with anywhere near 250rwkw.. The fastest car ive driven is my xr8. Only about 130rwkw or so like XR8Chic said, but does 90rwkw feel like a s**t load more? In your opinion.

Cheers.


Dude, That is a fukin s**t load more of power lol.... I mean your XR8 is pumping out in the vicinity of 130rwkw 220rwkw that's nearly twice the power of stock.

To explain to you the difference in speed power.....
-Stock you will be running my guess low 15's extra 90rwkw easy low 14's
-With 220rwkw you will be spinning straight through 1st , 2nd possibly 3rd.... hehhehe
-220, you will need to up grade your brakes, well it would be a good idea. :lol:

:wink: :lol:

 

_________________

237.9 KW ATW

12.485

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 617

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

Snow_white wrote:
To explain to you the difference in speed power.....
-Stock you will be running my guess low 15's extra 90rwkw easy low 14's
-With 220rwkw you will be spinning straight through 1st , 2nd possibly 3rd.... hehhehe
-220, you will need to up grade your brakes, well it would be a good idea. :lol:

:wink: :lol:


Yeah if u put it that way, it is almost double i suppose, but i never thought that it would actually 'feel' twice as quick, if u know what i mean. Maybe i might have to drive a car with 250ish rwkw to know exactly how it feels, and what to expect...

Sooo.. Anyone wanna offer me a 250rwkw car to drive for the day? :lol:
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names