6 quiker than 8? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 6 quiker than 8?
Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon SXR8 1991

WA, Australia

my dads ef futura 6 beats my eb xr8 why is this is there something wrong with my car, is there a way to make it faster without spending overly much.

I want my beauty to be a beast

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:23 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

pretty comon the xr6 was faster down the 1/4 then the xr8 untill the s2 auxr8 (200kw version )

get a good exhaust and intake mods etc

have a search around the V8 workshop

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I can understand a XR6 beating your car but a futura shouldnt. Does he have any mods or anything? If his is manual and yours is auto he may stand a chance early.

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

his is an auto it only beats me till bout 90 to 100 then i get back in front, its only a bonnet lenghts in it but still i was hoping to cane him as my trusty eb fairmont didnt either

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

Hitch equal sized caravans behind each car & then see who wins :twisted: Seriously, the windsor in stock form is a truck motor, built for torque. Towing is its strong suit, not acceleration.

Heads, intake & exhaust are the restriction on a stock E series windsor. Everyone baulks when I say this, but the best value mods are old school. Port the intake & heads, and fit a set of extractors. Chips, MAFS, TB etc just aren't going to make a difference without an expensive intake & heads that provide very high airflow. Next best value is fitting the intake & heads off an AU (Explorer/GT40P), if you can get them cheap enough, & still fititng the extractors. Anything else (such as alloy heads) will require "spending overly much".

Shorter final gearing will improve acceleration, but at the cost of economy. Converting to manual will improve both acceleration & economy. Looking at your other thread, how many revs are you using??? Peak power stock is at 4500rpm, & peak torque is 3000rpm. If the EB is completely stock, change into second at around 70kph. Any more revs than that & you are only slowing yourself down.

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 Star Boxcar

NSW, Australia

completly off topic sam but i was driving beside you in jeep wrangler a few weeks ago on the GWH, will have to line you up in my 6 soon lol

Kezz's 5sp Box Car ---> RPD enhanced with a bunch of other stuff

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

[quote="sam12h"]Hitch equal sized caravans behind each car & then see who wins :twisted: Seriously, the windsor in stock form is a truck motor, built for torque. Towing is its strong suit, not acceleration

I love that comment especially when I'm towing a boat & some d**k in his 4 banger tries to line me up at the lights & seeing the response on their face is PRICELESS :lol:

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Hang on hang on... so, you get him around those speeds... so you'd get him down the quarter??

Where's the problem?

But yeah... certainly no secret that the stock 5L is a bit of a slug.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

sam12h wrote:

Heads, intake & exhaust are the restriction on a stock E series windsor. Everyone baulks when I say this, but the best value mods are old school. Port the intake & heads, and fit a set of extractors. Chips, MAFS, TB etc just aren't going to make a difference without an expensive intake & heads that provide very high airflow. Next best value is fitting the intake & heads off an AU (Explorer/GT40P), if you can get them cheap enough, & still fititng the extractors. Anything else (such as alloy heads) will require "spending overly much".

You say porting the stock heads is better value then fitting alloy heads.

you do realise how much alloy heads cost?
and how much you would have to spend to get the same flow as even a cheap set of alloy heads? Even then you are bolting heavy as hell iron heads back on.
porting the stock heads mean removing them so you're up for the extra work/labour anyway.

best value is save the extra few hundred dollars and buy some ally heads.
choose well and they will bolt on with no other changes needed.

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

Are you for real???

I never said that porting will give the same result!! It will give a better improvement per $ spent though :!:

I also said port them, not have them ported. Note the difference!

How does coughing up $2500 for heads, $1000 for an intake, $350 for an EGR spacer & TB fit the criteria of "without spending overly much"??? :?

That's nearly $4000, & you haven't yet bought extractors, exhaust, cam, MAF, roller rockers etc...

How the hell is that value for money??? The car would not cost that much to replace!

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

I'm pulling the top of my 5.0L soon and I plan on doing the porting to the heads myself. I also see this as the cheapest way of extracing grunt without spending heaps of money. Did the same thing to my 2L esky years ago and it made a very noticable difference. Couldn't expect to do it cheap if I wasn't doing it all myself.

Really, if you cannot read a workshop manual, use a 1/2" drive socket set or a spanner or even cant stand dirty hands, then you're in for a lot of money. If you can, then there is absolutely no dramas from doing this stuff yourself and seeing the rewards for doing it.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

i agree with you banarcus have a read on how to do it and get a die grinder and do it your self

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

www.diyporting.com

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

thanks for the tips guys will definately have to get the heads worked on. i like the steel heads as they are harder to crack. (so i have been told)

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED XR8 Sprint

WA, Australia

definitly i would work on gettin the engine "breathing" better,
however if ya considerin portin ya heads, might be quicker and easier to try to find some 2nd hand GT40-GT40P heads for sale, hard i know but they are loads better than the E7. Then all ya do is get them fully serviced and o-hauled then slap them on ya beast and have some fun...

If ya do manage to find ya self some heads dont forget that ur original manifold wont fit the heads, you will need the GT40 lower plenum and upper to suit, all which will give ya some more needed grunt.

Otherwise things like blockin of your EGR help
dependin on what fuel u run ya beast on, addin a couple of degrese to the total timmin of ya engine can make noticable diffrences, just not to much thats all
dependin the age nd k/m of the car get ya injectors removed and o-hauled, you will prob find they will be 50-60% blocked, mine were 75% and me cars only done 180k....

Its only illegal if they catch you, but the have to catch you first....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next