Fordmods Logo

94 ED V8 5.0ltr or 95 EF XR 6 ? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: 94 ED V8 5.0ltr or 95 EF XR 6 ?
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:36 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford ED falcon V8 5ltr

WA, Australia

HI, im buying a second hand car and the two cars i have narrowed myself down to Are an ED V8 and an EF XR6 95.
I was wondering which would be the better choice as they are both in very good condition i just cant choose which one to buy and help would be appreciated thanks.

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Do you really need 2 threads for the same question?

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: falcon ed xr8

QLD, Australia

hell of a choice, good luck
v8 has a sound that bites. the six is cheap but not nasty
like i said good luck

you know boats, i know about fords...the only thing i pay for is whiskey coz i'm too damn lazy to make it myself

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

is the 6 manual?

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

go which ever is a manual and has a lsd

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

windsor is bulletproof but not real quick in stock trim. the usual bolt on's help but doesn't really get a performance advantage over a similarly modded 6 until you throw big money at it and change cam, heads, manifold etc. you can't beat the sound though.

ef xr6 is prolly a much nicer car all round. interior is more modern. driveability is better but the 6's are prone to a few niggles. head gasket, cam angle sensor. these are only niggles though and inexpensive to fix and once done right shouldn't bother you again for a while. performance is quite good in stock trim. will stick with and possibly beat its bigger brother (xr8) most times depending on modifications.

depends what you are looking for in a car. fuel economy will obviously favour the six.

i've owned both. my xr6 was a ef wagon manual and apart from shaved head adn exhaust it was stock. had a healthy 130rwkw adn could hold its own against many if not all v8's of the same age. thats not saying much as v8's in the mid 90's weren't real good (pre gen3). economy was outstanding - 650 round town. 900+ on the highway. you wouldn't be dissappointed if you went down this road.

i currently own a eb v8 which is essentially the same as an ed v8. prolly just as comfy inside as my ef as i have eb ghia seats which offer a bit more support unless the ed you refer to is a xr8 then they are the same except leather side bolsters. i can't really compare the handling as the ef was a wagon but driveability is not too much worse than a ef. not quite as tight feeling but that depends on car and condition. my v8 is modified though so performance is marginally better than 6. when in top tune gen 3's are easy. prolly about $5k worth of mods though and thats still with stock heads. that sort of dollars on the 6 and performance is same.

hope this can help a little bit. both fine cars. i personally prefer the boxcar shape but each to there own.

when i sold my ef it had over 293000km but the buyer commented that it felt like 140 000ish so if you look after them they will go the distance.

good luck. sorry to rave on :oops:

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8 & 06 4x4 Bravo

VIC, Australia

If there both Auto it would be a very hard decision, but I'd go with the EF XR6, heaaaps better interior.

'04 BA XR8
Winter White, 5 Speed Manual, Sports Leather, Premium Sound, 2 1/2" Cat Back Exh - no rear Mufflers, Lowered SL/SSL, 20's, Underdrives, BF Typhoon Rear Spoiler, GT Steering Wheel, etc.

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

meh, the EF XR's cloth interior is disgraceful anyway... but the dash is what wins it.
Get a manual in either form - I'd go the xr6 if you don't want to get into big money mods.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]