Fordmods Logo

95 EF Fairmont wont start - All out of ideas . . . 

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: 95 EF Fairmont wont start - All out of ideas . . .
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:32 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Hanni - BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

ghia97 wrote:
How did you go with it? How hot did it get on the needle? How many KMS on it?. What about the timing chain?

fairlane6970 wrote:
yep they can a mate of mine did the old school blip the throttle just b4 you turn off and when he went to start the next day - no go the NRMA came out and couldn't find anything, our mechanic suggested the t/chain as he knew that he used to turn it off like that - it had jumped two teeth :lol:

Ah ok well if all else fails ill have it looked at . . . cheers 8-)

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Push Schroeder valve down to check for fuel pressure in fuel rail..
Or take fuel hose off fuel reg and turn key on to check fuel flow, use plastic coke bottle
to recover fuel...

Take coil lead off and check for spark.. Hold end of lead about 10 - 12mm away from
bare metal earth wile cranking..

If the internal light / boot light fuse is blown ?? Your smart lock won't allow fuel pump to switch on etc...

Is there condensation / milk appearance inside oil filler cap ??
It could have a corroded front timing cover which is the housing for water pump...
Check colour of oil on dipstick or drain oil from pan & check...

Wiggle wire connected to the dissy TFI, check ALL battery connections and relays near the
overflow tank...Suspect TFI module if there's no spark..
After checking coil or trying another one..

Check for fuel in tank.. Don't laugh it's happened !!!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:30 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
Push Schroeder valve down to check for fuel pressure in fuel rail..
Or take fuel hose off fuel reg and turn key on to check fuel flow, use plastic coke bottle
to recover fuel...

Take coil lead off and check for spark.. Hold end of lead about 10 - 12mm away from
bare metal earth wile cranking..

If the internal light / boot light fuse is blown ?? Your smart lock won't allow fuel pump to switch on etc...

Is there condensation / milk appearance inside oil filler cap ??
It could have a corroded front timing cover which is the housing for water pump...
Check colour of oil on dipstick or drain oil from pan & check...

Wiggle wire connected to the dissy TFI, check ALL battery connections and relays near the
overflow tank...Suspect TFI module if there's no spark..
After checking coil or trying another one..

Check for fuel in tank.. Don't laugh it's happened !!!

Ok so as far as fuel flow goes - I had a mates mate come round one day - works for holden :shock: he checked and aparently I have fuel to the motor - and the fuel pump is working so boot/ interior light is probably working - havent checked coz my battery is still charging . . . Apart from that he didnt tell me anything I didnt already know so thats why Ive made up this thread . . .

I have checked the coil with a volt metre and it was fine - should I still check for spark with the lead? I do have spark - will see if I have enough tomorrow once the battery is back in the car so im guessing the Dizzy and TFI are ok.

Will check oil and oil filler cap tomorrow.

And as far as fuel I filled it in Phillip Island and only used 1/8th of a tank by the time I broke down so there is plenty of fuel . . . :D

Cheers for the help bud will update tomorrow after I have checked what I can - still gotta wait for money for compression tester ect.

Cheers
Grant

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:01 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

OK an Update:

I have fuel in the fuel lines in the engine bay but not sure if its getting to the cylinder or not though - Im assuming that it is . . .
The Interior light and boot light are both working.
I have checked the TFI connections and ALL fuses and relays. All good.
I checked the coil for spark - Its got good spark - I do have a video I was going to put up to ask you guys if it is enough spark and also so you guys can hear what the motor sounds like turning over so that you know what I meant by turning over fast . . . I cant upload it for some reason - its saying its too big . . . Can someone tell me how to put it up please?

Also there was no condensation or milky apperance on the oil cap but there is some kinda of white corossion on the water pump pictured below - could that mean that the water pumps corroded from the inside and maybe affecting the timing chain behind it?

Attachment:
DSCN0984.jpg
DSCN0984.jpg [ 49.82 KiB | Viewed 196 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN0983.jpg
DSCN0983.jpg [ 90 KiB | Viewed 179 times ]

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

no dont worry about the water pump, that belt looks crook too! :shock: we'll have to wait till compression tester perhaps

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:17 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

fairlane6970 wrote:
no dont worry about the water pump, that belt looks crook too! :shock: we'll have to wait till compression tester perhaps

Yeah thats what I was thinking - ill see if I can pick up a tester on monday cash willing :lol:
And yeah Ive gotta get a new belt - was thinking of maybe underdrives but dont know whether or not its worth it . . . Well I spose ill update monday and we can go from there 8-)

Cheers
Grant

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:14 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ok so today I was told the battery might be rooted and not holdin enough charge - which its not - but still holding enough to start it if it wanted to start :roll:
So after charging the s**t outta the battery last night I put it back in the ef and jumped it from the eb aswell to give it that extra kick - no go :evil:
Although the oil pressure gauge was going up the longer I held the key on for - Im not sure wether or not that was happening before but if it wasnt its a good sign i suppose . . . so still on the wait till monday and well see what happens with a compression test . . .

Cheers
Grant

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Has your coolant level gone done since? Try checking both sides of the engine block to see if there is any obvious oil and/or water leaking from beneath the heads. Where the car is, is there any oil or water where you leave it?

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:16 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

One Drone wrote:
Has your coolant level gone done since? Try checking both sides of the engine block to see if there is any obvious oil and/or water leaking from beneath the heads. Where the car is, is there any oil or water where you leave it?

Hey mate
I ran my finger along both sides as far as I could and there was no oil or water - just grime.
Ill have a better look tomorrow but im pretty sure theres no oil ect there or any water on the ground nut it will be easier tomorrow in daylight . . .

Cheers for the reply mate 8-)

Grant

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:21 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Went into supercheap today - dont have $45 for a compression tester - may have to wait to see if any of my mates have one - will update when I have tested compression . . .

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i have a comp tester you can borrow mate

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Okay... so are you sure you are getting fuel? As in to the rail with pressure? Even if you have a bung injector or 3 it will fire n cough n die rather than just crank over n over. If it was being starved of fuel, running lean it can cause s**t to heat up.
Oil pressure rising the longer you crank is normal too.
If you need to check spark just pull out the plugs and watch them spark at night while you turn it over. Or you can just pull off the leads and arc them to the body/motor to check them.

Just went n read what EBXR8380 said and your reply to it? How the fk did he check you have fuel pressure when you had no battery in it?

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:01 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

shoey50 wrote:
i have a comp tester you can borrow mate

That would be good shoey mate :D I might have a mate with one but if I cant find one ill let ya know - cheers bud

krisisdog wrote:
Okay... so are you sure you are getting fuel? As in to the rail with pressure? Even if you have a bung injector or 3 it will fire n cough n die rather than just crank over n over. If it was being starved of fuel, running lean it can cause s**t to heat up.
Oil pressure rising the longer you crank is normal too.
If you need to check spark just pull out the plugs and watch them spark at night while you turn it over. Or you can just pull off the leads and arc them to the body/motor to check them.

Just went n read what EBXR8380 said and your reply to it? How the fk did he check you have fuel pressure when you had no battery in it?

Hey mate - cheers for the reply
Im getting spark theres no doubt about it - checked it a million times . . .
As for getting fuel as I said to EBXR8380 I had a mates mate come round whos a mechanic and checked it while I cranked it over so I couldnt really see what he was doing but he said Ive got fuel getting there - and as for checking if I have fuel with no battery - I had the battery in the car to check it but pulled it out to chuck it on charge afterwards . . .

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Even if it had f**k all compression it would kick over and run like a bag of crap.

My bet is ECU or fuel pump (or associated wiring/relays). Could be dizzy/coil but you say you have spark.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:33 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:
Even if it had f**k all compression it would kick over and run like a bag of crap.

My bet is ECU or fuel pump (or associated wiring/relays). Could be dizzy/coil but you say you have spark.

Cheers galapogos01
Hmmm . . . ECU was what I was thinking originally but pretty random thing to go isnt it? Or is that a common thing? If it does happen to be the ECU, can I use an EF XR8 one to replace it or does it have to be EF Fairmont specific?
Fuel pump starts up - could it be that there is not enough pressure?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next