Fordmods Logo

95 EF Fairmont wont start - All out of ideas . . . 

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: 95 EF Fairmont wont start - All out of ideas . . .
Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

Have you checked the fusible links on the positive side of the battery? I recently shorted mine and these were the same symptoms with not firing when cranking. The links will stop your pump from working and also isolate the ECU to prevent damage due to a spike or excess voltage draw...

The belt will need replacement as it is chunking and the pump might also be the cause of the overheating. My EB impellor was nearly gone when I replaced it - thanks to just water in the system...grrrr.

If you were closer I could have loaned you a Comp tester and/or a helping hand. Electrical is my achillies heel though...hate it and I usually end up getting zapped if I fiddle!!

Good luck

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Hanni - BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:
Even if it had f**k all compression it would kick over and run like a bag of crap.

My bet is ECU or fuel pump (or associated wiring/relays). Could be dizzy/coil but you say you have spark.

Cheers galapogos01
Hmmm . . . ECU was what I was thinking originally but pretty random thing to go isnt it? Or is that a common thing? If it does happen to be the ECU, can I use an EF XR8 one to replace it or does it have to be EF Fairmont specific?
Fuel pump starts up - could it be that there is not enough pressure?

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i6_demon wrote:
shoey50 wrote:
i have a comp tester you can borrow mate

That would be good shoey mate :D I might have a mate with one but if I cant find one ill let ya know - cheers bud

no worries if ya need it just message me 0424861149. i have a fair few spares like dizzy injectors etc and a multimeter that you can borrow aswell but like i said just message if ya need anything

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:23 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks shoey - I don't have time to do anything till next week - suprisingly flat out for someone who's unemployed hahaha but might shoot ya a msg then :D

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:46 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

QLD, Australia

Hi, I had a 5l not start once. Checked everything, dizzy, ecu, coil, fuel , comp everything, no go.
Put new plugs in= moter fired straight up. Just a thought, dosn,t cost a lot to be sure,
Bit worried about winding over fast though.

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:13 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yep i would check,clean or replace the spark plugs..
then get some aero start , get someone to crank the engine while you spray aero start into the intake, see what happens,
if you get a sign of life it eliminates the spark as the problem..

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:54 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

tipperw wrote:
Hi, I had a 5l not start once. Checked everything, dizzy, ecu, coil, fuel , comp everything, no go.
Put new plugs in= moter fired straight up. Just a thought, dosn,t cost a lot to be sure,
Bit worried about winding over fast though.

TROYMAN wrote:
yep i would check,clean or replace the spark plugs..
then get some aero start , get someone to crank the engine while you spray aero start into the intake, see what happens,
if you get a sign of life it eliminates the spark as the problem..

Cheers Guys - I was thinking even though I have spark I might replace the leads and plugs just in case - though I have to come up with $150 odd to buy them - thats what repco quoted me but I thought it was a little steep but Im unsure if I could get them any cheaper anywhere else? I think they said $48 for standard plugs and around $95 for standard leads . . . And troyman I hadnt thought of aero start . . . thanks bud :D Will give it a go along with the compression test when I get a chance and some money :lol:

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i bought my plugs from R&E auto for $4.50 a plug which seems to be the going rate and i bought my leads from supercheap for $70. i have my old ones lying around not that there were anything wrong with them i dont think i just like to start fresh when i get a new car

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:14 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

shoey50 wrote:
i bought my plugs from R&E auto for $4.50 a plug which seems to be the going rate and i bought my leads from supercheap for $70. i have my old ones lying around not that there were anything wrong with them i dont think i just like to start fresh when i get a new car

Might have to hit up r&e 8-) And how much would ya want for ya plugs? If ya dont want em as spares that is . . . If ya dont supercheap it is . . . better than f**k $95 :lol:

R.E.P.C.O = Ripping Every Poor C*** Off :twisted:

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

well seeing as i put them in the bin you can have them (given that i havnt emptied the bin in the shed which i dont think i have haha)

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:29 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Haha wicked well Ill still probably buy a new set but if i cant ill let ya know and see if ya still got em - not worried if ya chuck em out - like dont go holding them for me or anything ahaha :lol:

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:57 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ok so I havnt done sweet f**k all in the last couple of weeks due to constant bills . . . Shoey might have to borrow your comp tester off ya mate :D but I have been doing a bit of thinking (the car is always nigling away at my mind just sittin there - its begining to s**t me to tears) anyway I was thinking could it possibly be a dead map sensor? And also there is a slight smell of fuel in the oil????? Could that just be that its been flooded from me trying to start it so much or could it be something more serious like crcked block or even again blown head gasket?

Cheers
Grant

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

it could be any number of things. just need to start doin a heap of tests so we can narrow it down. but whenever ya ready mate message me and come grab the comp tester im around pretty much every night and if im doin nothin i may even follow ya over and give ya a hand :lol: :lol:

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:29 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Yeah wicked cheers mate . . . I don't know when it will be but ill msg ya before hand . . . I've even been think of gettin a mechanic to plug it into their computer for a diagnosis so I can just go straight to the problem without all the f**k around - realistically I need it on the road very soon as I really don't wanna have to pay anymore rego for the EB regardless of whether or not I get money back off it when I hand the plates in. Do u think they would charge me much just for a diagnosis? On average?

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:59 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ok so and mate and me f**k around from about lunch time yesterday until 1am this morning - we took the throttle body off - someones had it off before and put it back on like a spastic . . . so thats fixed. There were a few rooted vac hoses - cause it was so late i managed to find the proper peices to replace most of them but one I had to replace with garden hose for the time being :oops: till i get it up and going . . . thought that would have been a problem - still not starting. Opened up the tank and had a look at the fuel pump . . . alls good there - although the fuel looks a browny green - unless its a reflection from the boot it looks like s**t fuel - so ill drop it and put better fuel in at some stage - which sucks because its got a full tank. Although it ignitites fairly well (poured some on the ground and lit it :shock: ). We had a better look under the dizzy cap - ill need a new rotor and cap - carboned to s**t house (not anymore) and worn downs heaps so even though I have heaps of spark that will be replaced at some stage. Had a look at the ECU - perfect condition - no burn outs ect.

The funny thing we found is when we had the TB off, we gave it a little crank and it was just about to start - tried it again and got nothing. WTF?
Then when it was all back together we forgot to put lead no 3 back on :oops: - cranked it over and it sounded as though it wanted to start for a sec but then nothing and then we put the lead on again and we got the same thing its been doing since it died.

Looks like its time to get that mechanic up here . . . :evil:

Cheers
Grant

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next