Post subject: A Couple of Questions on Sensor Placements
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

Hi guys,

A few questions,

1) Is there a hole somewhere i can mount an oil temp sensor/sender, if so, where? Or am i going to have to drill and tap the sump plug etc?

2) For those that have done the thermo fan conversion, where/what wire did you tap into for the positive while engine running source (so fans don't turn on while engine off). I've had mine wired up for a while now but i had tapped into an ACC wire so the fans still operated when the engine was off.

3) The top half of the intake manifold is off, it had a new upper to lower gasket applied when i did the explorer swap a few months back, the gasket still looks OK, slightly bent at one corner from being taken off, but no surface peels or rips, will it still be OK to use? The last one cost me $70 from Fraud. :shock:

4) Nothing to do with the V8, but how does the A-pillar trim come off? I don't want to snap mine and i have a tendency to break delicate plastic trim.

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Post subject: Re: A Couple of Questions on Sensor Placements
Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:59 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

1. You could possibly Tee into the oil pressure port.... of course you won't exactly get oil flowing past so the temp rate of change maybe a little slower...probably a good thing.

2. Injector power.

3.Should be fine.

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

XR9UTE wrote:
1. You could possibly Tee into the oil pressure port.... of course you won't exactly get oil flowing past so the temp rate of change maybe a little slower...probably a good thing.

2. Injector power.

3.Should be fine.

Great thanks, all sorted.

Although i have now developed a loss in Vacuum. I used to be reading about 20-21 on the gauge, it now sits on about 15-17inhg, and it sounds like a have a lumpy cam. I'm pretty sure the timing is out a bit as it was doing the whole lumpy cam thing before i swapped injectors. I ripped all the EGR gear out today as it was getting used, was just keeping the ECU happy, but my Vac is still reading low.

Any ideas?? Will fixing the timing improve my vac reading?

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:14 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

You must have left a hose off or something if the only thing you've done is have the upper off?
You need to plug the EVR vac lines of course.

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

XR9UTE wrote:
You must have left a hose off or something if the only thing you've done is have the upper off?
You need to plug the EVR vac lines of course.

Yeah just had the upper off. I changed a pcv hose as the old one was cracked, but it sits better than the old one.

I removed all the EGR gear including the vac line that went to the manifold, i replaced this with my vac gauge line. Before, the manifold branched off to the EGR vacuum canister thing on the drivers side shock mount and the other side went to my vac gauge and fuel reg. So now it just goes to vac gauge fuel reg and off down the way where ever the other end went to.

The upper is bolted down a bit more than it needs to be just to be sure, This has me stumped. I'm thinking it could be the gasket as it looked ok but when i was placing it in position it bolted up fine at the front, but near the fire wall i kind of had to keep pulling it into position for the bolts to line up as something was pushing it the other way slightly. Could the back of the gasket have come off a little and got caught?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]