Fordmods Logo

A tricky one - Pinouts for I6 to V8 - I'm Desperate 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: A tricky one - Pinouts for I6 to V8 - I'm Desperate
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:27 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL XR6, Highly Modded

New Zealand

:? I have just replaced the standard 302 Windsor in my EF XR8 with an AUII 302 Windsor. I have taken off the injection and replaced it wit a Manifold and 650 Holley, :roll: (I would have had to have the entire and complete AU looms to keep AU injection). I have replaced the XR Loom with an EF Fairmont 6 cylinder loom as I've wanted the Fairmont Climate Control and Trip Computer. I traced back the Oil pressure, Coolant temp, Starter, ect and cannot work out which wire out of the eight, that go to the Coilpack and Dizzy Module, (on the fairmont loom) is the ("Hot at all times") Ignition wire and Tacho sender wire. I just need to know what one's either on the 104 pin computer plug or what pin on the computer is the "Hot" ignition wire and the tacho input wire as the computer then sends the signal to the dash from what I can alredy find. :?:

If I cannot get the Ignition live this way is it easier to run another wire from the Ignition "On" position and run it through a relay. (I still need to know the Tacho though)

Again if anyone knows what wires on the EF Fairmont Computer plug is the live ignition wire and Tacho wire I'd be much appreciative.

You could Email me a copy of the diagrams ect to
corina.antony@xtra.co.nz

Cheers Suttie

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB

VIC, Australia

Woah hate to tell you but you're in a world of s**t there.

What are you trying to do? Run the AU computer with EF 4.0 looms? I can't see that ever working without a hell of a lot of re-wiring. Not mention Smartshield being an issue.

The AU V8 set up is much the same as the EF V8. The only real difference is AU has coil packs and the EF has a distributor. I suggest changing everything back and fitting the EF distributor and coil set up to the AU engine. Use the EF injectors and fuel rail on the AU manifold. You'll have to add the air charge temp sensor, there isn't a provision for it on the AU lower manifold. Modify the EF TPS to fit the AU TB (elongate the holes so it reads <1 volt at idle), run the EF MAF and that's about it.

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

No, No, No, As stated I have replaced the injection with the manifold and 650 Holley carb, I have used the EF I6 computer just to run the Temp for the eletric fans and ABS as well as wanting the Climate control and the Trip computer. I have alredy taken out the Injector wiring and all the bulls@$t manifold saensors (MAP, Airflow ect). As I'm going to run an HEI I want to know what Pinout Is the Hot Ignition Wire and the tacho input wire.
Cheers

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB

VIC, Australia

Ah I see. That sounds a bit more doable.

I don't know much about the EF/ELs, I was under the impression the dash got all it's infomation from the data line from the ECU? I don't know too much about the Ford ignition system either, but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to wire a distributor in completely independent of the computer.

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:18 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

That's right PC.... serial data for tach and temp.
All you need for your old s**t is a ignition power....you should be able to find a Red/green wire in the engine bay somewhere?
BTW...Way to go backwards suttie!
You don't need an entire AU harness to run the AU stuff...it's easier that way but you could have run a TFI dizzy and used the EF EECV to run the show.

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:46 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Yes, - but my old EF motor was a smokey joe and had a fault in the computer. I bought the AU motor with loom and computer but when I went to plug it all in the AU loom was totally different to the EF dash loom with extra plugs and I didnt have the BCM or Ignition barrel and locks that all talk to each other for the smartshield. I rang IPV who are NZ's Herrod Motorsport agent and they have done only one other conversion the same by piggybacking the AU computer onto the EF computer but wanted $3500 upfront to start the job plus whatever else they thought they might need along the way I had to front up for, I then thought about a link and that was $3000 so then it was time to look at other options so here I am with a completly detailed engine bay an not one wire to be seen. Thats why I went old skool. It's not going to be a daily driver so I'm not worried about the loss of fuel economey and we have an on-to-it dyno tuner here that can pull some serious power out of the setup I have used.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

hey guys im looking to what suttie has done to my 6 cylinder eb fairmont. want to use carby as well, what parts will i need to convert it? and also how hard is it to do or would i be better putting a eb 5.0l in her?
cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]