Fordmods Logo

Advice on fitting Explorer Intake to std EB 5.0L 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Advice on fitting Explorer Intake to std EB 5.0L
Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Just picked up a Explorer intake on ebay and I need advice on fitting to my EB.

Has anyone got some step by step instructions.

Also, is the EGR necessary? I cant see how it recirculates exhaust gases.

Has anyone removed it from their car?

Cheers.

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

necessary yes i think, and btw wait a tick and vic will be able to help with this or ne of the other 5l boys :P its not too hard me brett and brett did daves at teh vic afd :D in the show ground so yea i hope that helps, just dont drop it on and make sure its straight

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Take off intake right up to throttle body (airbox, maf etc), pull off EGR which you don't need to re-use because explorer manifolds don't have EGR provision, take off upper and lower manifold by the bolts, yo0u have to undo fuel rail to take off lower manifold and also take out dizzy, get all the old gasket off, put manifold back on at torque specs and do everything the same way you took it off.
With the vaccum lines, there is one less on the explorer than the HO manifold, so I used a T piece and fitted it to one of the vaccum lines around the back of the manifold, just got this from a wreck in the heater hose lines.
Make sure you use new gaskets (which is what happened with mine, it had a kink in it which I didn't see and cause a vaccum leak whistle), apart from that its a pretty much straight swap.
If you run into pinging cause of no EGR, knock the timing back a couple of degrees, oh and also tap your air temp sensor into the air intake piping, I just cut a hole and plugged it in.
Good luck!!

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I didn't exactly word it right but with EGR put it back on but just as a spacer. If your manifold didn't come with the four long bolts that the HO has for the throttle body and EGR attachment, these just screw out of the manifold and you can re-use them. With the inlet and outlet water hose to the EGR, I just joined them up together as you don't need them anymore.
Also forgot to mention that the explorer needs 4 long and 2 short bolts on the upper, whereas the HO takes 2 long and 4 short bolts (either that or the other way around) so you'll have to get a couple of whatever you don't have.

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

i dont mean to hi jack the thread, but ive just bought a Edelbrock performer manifold for my 5L and a 70mm Edelborck throttlebody... will i need the matching EGR plate for it...???

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

veeate wrote:
i dont mean to hi jack the thread, but ive just bought a Edelbrock performer manifold for my 5L and a 70mm Edelborck throttlebody... will i need the matching EGR plate for it...???

you prick, thats what i want, lol

4 cylinders are like chinese food, few minutes after you have them you just want more!

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

veeate wrote:

Ask TerroristGhia, he has an edelbrock manifold on his

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Got some questions.

1. Are all bolts from original manifold interchangeable with explorer?

2. Why does the explorer not have an EGR port?

3. Why would it ping without EGR? And wouldn't backing off the time negate any performance gains by the explorer manifold?

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Got some questions.

1. Are all bolts from original manifold interchangeable with explorer?

2. Why does the explorer not have an EGR port?

3. Why would it ping without EGR? And wouldn't backing off the time negate any performance gains by the explorer manifold?

4. Why do you need to move air temp sensor ton inlet?

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

1/ bolts are the same in terms of the long and short ones, but the explorer takes 4 long and 2 short whereas the HO takes 2 long and 4 short (or the other way around, can't remember)

2/ EGR isn't on the explorer manifold because they came out on the AU's which don't have EGR, whereas the cobra and HO manifolds have it inbuilt.

3/ Inlet temp sensor can be tapped into the manifold, bit of stuffing around or you can tap it into the intake piping which is easy, i think this is to relay to the ECU the air temp sensor to work out A:F ratios

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yes keep your EGR, I had mine bored to 65mm, to match my 65mm AU TB.
Cheers
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Thanks for replies.

Is the pinging due to the a/f mix leaning out due to no E.Gases recirculating into chambers.

I bought the explorer thinking it was a straight swap with the Std EB 5.0L.

I just want to take power o/p to EB XR8 spec (185KW) as the car is going to be my work car ( Do alot of country driving).

Will the explorer help to achieve this?

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

Storm wrote:
veeate wrote:

you prick, thats what i want, lol

well i better not tell you what else is on the way coz u might have some more choice names for me......

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

guys for hi performance application block the EGR system

EGT is for pollution purposes and it fills ur cylinders with burnt gas ( in turn the burnt gasses don't take part in the chemical reaction in the cylinder ) which in turn could of been fresh and and fuel filling the cylinders BIGGER BANG MORE CYLINDER PRESSURE to make more power

EGR lowers cylinder temperatures which inturn the chemicals created after the cylinder goes bang is less NOX out the exhaust system cleaner inviroment but for hi performance it kills power

Yes u may encounter pinging as now u have more air/fuel filling ur cylinders and increase in cylinder pressure which the timing might be inccorect for that cylinder fill now and icrease cylinder temperature also , so remember ford has tuned the system for EGR to be operating with you engine the way it left the factory.

So for performance use if u can some how make the necessary ECU adjustments the engine will produce more power without the EGR connected

EGR disconnect can be a issue with EPA rules and regulations EXPENSIVE FINES

cheers

PS: I'm chasing a eb , ed , ef factory stand intake manifld for a V8 302 windsor Injected only for my bronco windsor which has a taller plenum setup

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

EGR really doesn't affect performance at all as it is only active on very light throttle application. The only performance advantage it has it that if you use a phenolic heat spacer betweent he upper and lower manifold, and completely remove the EGR system, then the manifold will run slightly cooler therefore the intake charge will be slightly cooler.

Some people who remove the EGR will experience pinging mainly because the cylinders run hotter. To counteract this without reprograming the EEC, you should be able to just back the timing off a degree or two.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next