Advice please 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Advice please
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XR6 and ZD Fairlane

QLD, Australia

After much searching i have finally come accross a granny spec ZD fairlane 500. It has low k's a 302 and a c4 in it. where im stuck is what to do with the motor. i dont want an animalistic fairlane, i want a nice cruiser with some punch. So here are my options, i have a 390 big lock fully reco'd, do i put that in it, or do i play with the 302? can anyone shoot some advice on what would be the best thing to do,if i were to mod the 302?
thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Advice please
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Mate, i'd fit the big block. Big torque at low revs makes for a cool cruiser, with enough punch to see off most of those pesky sneeze cars when you need it. Get a C6 auto, and if you drive sensibly the standard rear end will be fine. You will need a better/stronger front spring set, but everything you need to fit it, oil pan/mounts/exhaust, etc is easy to get.
Remember, there is no substitute for cubic inches. :D

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

You need lots of torque to accelerate the weight of the ZD. Since you already have the 390 and it's in top shape then fit that. Motor mounts may be a specialty item, and header clearance will be tight around the shock towers like it is when fitting a 429/460.

To bring the 302 up to a level where it feels like it has some power will require either lower rear-end gears (but this takes it away from being a cruiser unless offset with an overdrive transmission) or a stroker with good heads and intake or a power adder. The 302 block strength limits the overall torque output, but it can be done. I have a weiand supercharged 302 that will have around 480HP at the flywheel at 5500rpm with a fat torque curve from 2000rpm due to it being a positive displacement blower. The down-side is cost, over $10k in the engine alone.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

thanks for the replies people i appreciate it. yeah im sort of hesitant putting the 390 in as it will need a bit of fabrication work and it is a really wide block. i guess i can slap a set of extractors on the 302 for the time being and see how i go. or i could off load the 390 and go even bigger to make it worth my while???

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:02 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

I've got a '69 390 XR7 and I reckon you'll fit the 390 fairly easily using mounts from a stang or cougar like mine because stangs and cougars don't have a particularly wide engine bay either. The only thing you'll require is custom headers because the stock manifolds likely won't clear a right hook steering box. FE engines are slightly shorter in deck height compared to a 385 series(429/460) engine (10.17" vs 10.322") so there's a slight advantage but they are also shorter in length and lighter than the 385 series engine. In fact if you use an ally intake and water pump they weigh the same as a 351W.
At the end of the day the 390 is going to piss all over a 302 for torque which is what you need in a Fairlane.
Is the 302 you have a windsor or cleveland? If it's a cleveland you could turn it into a 351 or bigger and use that. If it's a windsor stick the 390 in it.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:10 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

your a legend mate that was what was concerning me, im just worried about the snow balling effect if i put the 390 will i stop or will i charge it? hahahaha im pretty sure its a clevo to be honest havemt picked up the car yet, the dizzy is at the front, if that helps :D also on the 390 she has gone out 30 thou been deck honed balanced blueprinted better cam port polished heads and match ported alloy intake. hard choice really.
George

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:24 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Well George that makes it easy. The 390 is already built and built well by the sound of it. stick it in and build headers. Imagine the snowballing effect with an engine that doesn't have the torque in the first place!?
Does the 302 have a thermostat housing bolted to the block or the intake manifold?
Block = cleveland
Intake = windsor
btw do you have a C6 for the 390?

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:31 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Well George that makes it easy. The 390 is already built and built well by the sound of it. stick it in and build headers. Imagine the snowballing effect with an engine that doesn't have the torque in the first place!?
Does the 302 have a thermostat housing bolted to the block or the intake manifold?
Block = cleveland
Intake = windsor
btw do you have a C6 for the 390?

Looks like the thermostat housing is on the mainifold, thats going from a pic i have from the engine bay. i dont have a C6 for the 390, it was out of my tbird which some low lifes burnt. So i need a trans for it custom headers, which i have no idea where to start with in brisbane and cant imagine they will be friendly on the wallet. i might try and find a flogged c6 and rebuild it and get 9inch aswell, and do it bit by bit. What do i do about all the accessories, like P/S pump and so forth? custom brackets?
thanks people this is helpful.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

When I build a custom set of headers I buy a junk set (crushed/scraped collectors usually) of used headers and cut and tack weld them into the right shape. Then I buy a good set of headers and copy the successful design.

In your case I would do the maths on fitting that 390 since it sounds like you may need to buy a lot of the parts to make it work. In NZ the old FE parts are very difficult to find and therefore are expensive. It may be different in Australia. Engine accessory brackets especially can be very difficult to find for old engines, and aftermarket versions can be really expensive.

But you could use the FE rarity to your advantage by selling the engine and using the proceeds to buy and build a 351W stroker. A 393W is a good cheap stroker option that only requires a 3.85" stroke crank and 302W pistons. It gets the same displacement as your FE in a more common engine. Your C4 will bolt up to it, your current engine mounts will fit, headers will be available off the shelf. Just a thought....

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:10 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Bugger that's a windsor then.
For headers...Isn't that Gonzo Pipes guy up that way? Although he's probably too busy. Custom headers will still be cheaper than building another whole engine of some other type.
What happened to the t-bird pwr steer pump etc?
I'm making my own serpentine drive for my 390 so you could probably have my brackets if you want to stay with V-belts. The accessories on the 302 are the same, you just need the brackets.
FE C6's are not very common but some of the parts importers around the traps probably have some.
You can also get an adaptor plate for a C4 onto FE but It's probably easier to just find the C6.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Bugger that's a windsor then.
For headers...Isn't that Gonzo Pipes guy up that way? Although he's probably too busy. Custom headers will still be cheaper than building another whole engine of some other type.
What happened to the t-bird pwr steer pump etc?
I'm making my own serpentine drive for my 390 so you could probably have my brackets if you want to stay with V-belts. The accessories on the 302 are the same, you just need the brackets.
FE C6's are not very common but some of the parts importers around the traps probably have some.
You can also get an adaptor plate for a C4 onto FE but It's probably easier to just find the C6.

ok started really looking into now, finding the trans is going to be fun there are a few floating around that fit the 429/460 but doubt it will bolt up to mine. for the 390 i need a good carby and dizzy set up. im haggling a mate into doing the headers for me at his own pace at the cost of a good night of piss. those brackets would be awesome ill pm you some details. As for the other questions, basically everything that wasnt required for the rebuild as left in strage with the rest of the car, so when that factory went up so did my car, and any other parts with it. BAsically all i have left are some good memories and a 6.5L V8. any more suggestions on mounts, exhaust mods and so forth will be greatly appreciated. So the plan now is to start collecting the parts and drop it in when i have everything.
George

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]