Fordmods Logo

After a little advice on a EB XR8 5litre 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: After a little advice on a EB XR8 5litre
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I am building this engine for a mate,it is in a EF,it has cold air induction and a good flowing exhaust,these are the only mods and its seen 205rwhp.
We are looking at upping it to around 300rwhp,maybe a little more,and in future an ubder bonnet charger will be added for even more power.

At the moment I am undecided exactly what will be the best way of gaining that 300+ for the moment.I want to up the comp just a little,and then when the charger added I will either have the new pistons dish machined or de comp plates fitted.

Should we go out and get a good set of forgies now?Also what sort of cam would be good for power now and may also be good enough for the boost later on?

Also,the standard computer is in it now,can a piggy back be sorced or would a complete aftermarket computer be bought now?

Any info would be great.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

A good set of alloy heads or a blower will see the 300 rwhp mark or near on.

Cam wise, it depends on the rockers you are using, but tried and trusted are the crane 2030 or 2031.

The capa Eliminator chip is a good piggyback style chip, no probs tuning my blower with it.

I am doing mine the other way around, I went for the blower first, had reasonable results with it, under 3000 though it feels like a stock e7 headed vehicle, so stepping the heads up first will yield much better off the mark power and a blower on top will give it a nice surge up top.

Also check out a few of the heads n cam threads getting about here, alot have had good results with most around the 300 rwhp mark.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

So,would we be better of looking for a set of 2nd hand alloys,I was leaning more towards keeping the heads we have,opening the ports a little and using bigger valves and double springs.

Also when it comes to blower time,the Vortech V4 will most likely be the choice.Hopefully with intercooler if we can set it right.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

The heads are pretty crap on the EF's, they have e7 heads which are pretty athsmatic. Best thing to do is give em away.

Alloy heads (AFR, Trickflow) are around or just over the 2 grand mark. if you cant stretch that far, get a set of GT40p heads of an AU XR8. Yella Terra sell them new with valves, springs and retainers complete for $650 a pair. a set of roller rockers on top are $500, they probably outflow any major amount of porting you can do on a E7 head. A bloke on AFF managed 220 rwkw (only a few short of 300 rwhp) with a set of ported gt40p's on his AU.

I would also go the V1 t trim as a blower instead, maybe even a procharger, the V4 seems purely too big for a 5ltr. Also go a cogged belt set up if you can. Also you may want to look into a new gearbox, an auto will be slipping in no time (mine did, just got it fixed) and a manual t5 box will be sounding like a coffee grinder.

the joys of power. :twisted:

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:44 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

The money isnt really a factor here,as we are hoping to use it as a promo vehicle for a business venture.

There is also a possibility the 5litre maybe stroked before the blower fitted.

All this info is a great help,thanx.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: LTDHO

VIC, Australia

It's strange to see you quoting rwhp, not rwkw. Nothing wrong with it, just old school.

205hp = 153kw
300hp = 225kw
300hp is easy to achieve.

Plan and build one motor. I made the mistake of building as I went along and now stuck with high comp..

I run the Crane 2031, with 1.7 rollers. Alloy heads, stoked (347) crank with rods. With a S trim Vortech and a ECU, I made 361rwkw (481rwhp) very easy. There is 500hp there, just not interested in it.

Oh and I now have a manual, which helped get the 480hp.

My only advise is don't waste ya time and money with Rob Herrod.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

don't mean to be a pesimist here but i can't see a stock ef with intake and exhaust getting 150rwkw.

regardless, the figures you want to achieve should be a cakewalk for what you have planned.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

falconhell69 wrote:
The money isnt really a factor here,as we are hoping to use it as a promo vehicle for a business venture.

There is also a possibility the 5litre maybe stroked before the blower fitted.

All this info is a great help,thanx.

you say money isnt realy a factor but in another post you were talking about finding a set of second hand alloy heads :?

for good info on how to get 300rwhp n/a out of the windsor have a read through XH5LWEPN's heads and cam thread, he got a bit more than 300.

first up i think the best idea would be to make up ya mind what you want to do with the donk. its too expensive to change your mind half way through a build and find you have a heap of new parts that are useless to you.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

LTDHO wrote:
It's strange to see you quoting rwhp, not rwkw. Nothing wrong with it, just old school.

205hp = 153kw
300hp = 225kw
300hp is easy to achieve.

Plan and build one motor. I made the mistake of building as I went along and now stuck with high comp..

I run the Crane 2031, with 1.7 rollers. Alloy heads, stoked (347) crank with rods. With a S trim Vortech and a ECU, I made 361rwkw (481rwhp) very easy. There is 500hp there, just not interested in it.

Oh and I now have a manual, which helped get the 480hp.

My only advise is don't waste ya time and money with Rob Herrod.

thats awesome figures.

The next step is looking promising. :P

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I have talked with owner,money isnt an object within reason,it aint my $$$,so I am giving him every option available,and all the info so far has raised his brow a bit.

I am leaning more towards new heads,but its his money to spend not mine.

Depending on whats available here,he has said he will look for a complete AU XR8 engine now,I think to minimise off road time.

As for old skool,yeah I live in horsepower and foot pounds LOL,remember,it is the 1/4 mile,so I live in miles per hour too hahahaha.

Thanx for everything,as it goes along I will let you know what happens.

By the way,I built an old skool 51 clevo a number of years ago,made 517hp with a hydraulic cam,single plane manifold,open chamber 2V heads,4Mab crank and Ford Motorsport rods with TRW forgies.
It did some serious head work though,triple springs,Milodon tulip valves,Crow rockers and cam,only had a baby 750 on it,was to handle a shot of gas,but I lost contact with the owner,but it went in a XC GXL,3500 convertor with 3.89 gears,I have no idea what it ever ran unfortunately.
I unsuccessfully treid prying the heads off him LOL.

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

If its an EF engine, throw the heads, cam intake, T/B, MAF & injectors in the bin...

You won't get 300rwhp from the E7s and HO intake without a blower or a big shot of happy gas.

I'd run a set of AFR 185s, with a Comp NX274HR camshaft, RPM II manifold and 24lb injectors (for now). That would make good power N/A but really come alive with a blower or some gas down the track.

Weak point will become the block.

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

^^^ what he said, I had done very similar mods to this but with bigger heads and cam, made over 330rwhp, and eventually broke the block. This was through an auto.
When i first started playing with the 5.0, it was stock cam, stock heads, RPMII 24's and matching MAF decent exhaust and it made 148rwkw NA and 216 on Gas.
The NX274 is a NOS specific cam, and is awesome when the gas is applied
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]