Fordmods Logo

Aftermarket guages on EL V8 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Aftermarket guages on EL V8
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 24

Joined: 13th Mar 2008

Location: launceston
TAS, Australia

Hey guys,
Has anyone put in any aftermarket guages ie; tacho, water temp and oil pressure on the 5.0L efi ?? What brands did you use and did you have any issues in getting the ford sender units to talk to them ?

I've completed a conversion, and can't get the ford motor to talk to Range Rover guages.

Cheers !!!

Shayne
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 5889

Joined: 2nd Mar 2006

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: '14 Grand Cherokee

Location: Port Lincoln
SA, Australia

install an EL cluster ;)

 

_________________

11/93 ED OPT20 GLi | Full Boat Spec

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:11 pm 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Just use the range rover temp sender and oil pressure sender and if the range rover uses a std coil driven tacho hook your tacho to the coil negative.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 24

Joined: 13th Mar 2008

Location: launceston
TAS, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Just use the range rover temp sender and oil pressure sender and if the range rover uses a std coil driven tacho hook your tacho to the coil negative.


Thanks mate,
I don't have the rangie sender unites, they were sold with old motor :cry: And the range rover uses a wire off the alternator for the tacho...... Does that mean I can still use the coil -ve do you think ?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 24

Joined: 13th Mar 2008

Location: launceston
TAS, Australia

alfy wrote:
install an EL cluster ;)


:lol: :lol:
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: guages
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:28 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 60

Posts: 75

Joined: 26th Jul 2006

Gallery: 5 images

Location: Gin Gin
QLD, Australia

Hi. IM also doing conversion. 5L.
Just buy rangie senders (oil , temp} from wreckers, repco.
wire them up as standard rangie, You might have to buy thread adaptors to fit them to the 5L.
As for taco mabey one of them shift light jobs and mount it over old taco.
Good Luck,
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: guages
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 24

Joined: 13th Mar 2008

Location: launceston
TAS, Australia

tipperw wrote:
Hi. IM also doing conversion. 5L.
Just buy rangie senders (oil , temp} from wreckers, repco.
wire them up as standard rangie, You might have to buy thread adaptors to fit them to the 5L.
As for taco mabey one of them shift light jobs and mount it over old taco.
Good Luck,


Thanks mate. What are you putting it in ??
Oil pressure sender unit should be easy, but the water temp has to talk to the ECU, so I would need to find somewhere else to screw in the rangie sender unit wouldn't I ??
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 46

Posts: 3763

Joined: 25th Nov 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

Location: Sydney Australia
NSW, Australia

Make an adapter for the water temp. Mine has 2 sendors from the one port. 1 for the EMS, and one for the factory ecu/dash.Check here for a pic of what i mean http://www.fordmods.com/forums/the-terr ... 71-80.html
It is in the first pic coming off the heater hose on the manifold
Brett

 

_________________

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:42 pm 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

peachey80 wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:
Just use the range rover temp sender and oil pressure sender and if the range rover uses a std coil driven tacho hook your tacho to the coil negative.


Thanks mate,
I don't have the rangie sender unites, they were sold with old motor :cry: And the range rover uses a wire off the alternator for the tacho...... Does that mean I can still use the coil -ve do you think ?


It does!? was it a diesel?
Sold the old ones....buy new ones.
Or fit and EF-AU cluster.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 24

Joined: 13th Mar 2008

Location: launceston
TAS, Australia

Nah, it was a V8, a baby 3.5 carby fed.
Might just do that, cant be too dear for the sender units.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 24

Joined: 13th Mar 2008

Location: launceston
TAS, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
Make an adapter for the water temp. Mine has 2 sendors from the one port. 1 for the EMS, and one for the factory ecu/dash.Check here for a pic of what i mean http://www.fordmods.com/forums/the-terr ... 71-80.html
It is in the first pic coming off the heater hose on the manifold
Brett




Thanks Brett.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:39 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names