alternator on the fritz 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: alternator on the fritz
Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF GLi (V8)

VIC, Australia

today for some strange reason my EF V8 wouldn't start, called NRMA and the batttery was low on charge, it's only 18mths old, he got the car started and we went down to the shop to test it, 5 minute run, on the run down the volt meter was showing about normal, the battery tested fine as well, car started no worries when I went to leave, even after only 5 min charge, there's been no signs of a failing battery/alerternator until now, when I got home I put the multimeter on and was getting 13.2v charge, I think that's about right, what would have caused the battery to chuck a wobbly like that, and also can I replace the brushes in the alternator myself or am I looking at a new/reco one.

former FORD V8 owner :(
MAY THE FORDS BE WITH YOU

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: NL 347, Landau

SA, Australia

Bring the revs up and check the charge with a voltmeter - you should be getting 14.6V
Shane

Weapons of choice
1998 NL Fairlane by Tickford 033
1996 NL Fairlane Ghia 347
1992 NC Fairlane Ghia 5.0
1974 Landau
1974 LTD

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

MrLandau wrote:
Bring the revs up and check the charge with a voltmeter - you should be getting 14.6V
Shane

at 2500rpm was only getting, 13.6v, guess that means alternator is on the way out, so question stands, are replacement brushes available and are they plug and play so I can do it, if not what the best approach, recon or new and what price and I looking at.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

Brushes are generally easy to replace which also means it's relatively cheap to pay someone else to do it.

As for 13.6V @ 2500rpm, that is pretty normal. You'll only get 14.4V if you battery is flat. I generally only get around 13V max driving around.

As for the mysterious flat battery, sounds to me like there was a load on the system. My daughter always turns on the little courtesy light near the top of the back doors, someone didn't play a trick on you did they ????

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:29 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I had ongoing problems with my Yellowtop battery dying in my wagon over night. It would be fine all day sitting at work.. but the long sleep overnight was enough to kill the battery :) Ended up that one of the pwr window switches was 'stuck' on the up position.. drawing a constant 8A :)

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

My EF driver window switch did the same thing. Thank christ it didn't burn out the window motor.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

first thing I checked was the courtesy light and hte boot light, don't have elec windows so no problem there, I priced a new Alternator, $800 :shock: , saving grace is a brush kit is available for $16, just have to check if it's something I can do myself.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

first thing I checked was the courtesy light and hte boot light, don't have elec windows so no problem there, I priced a new Alternator, $800 :shock: , saving grace is a brush kit is available for $16, just have to check if it's something I can do myself.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I'd suggest doing nothing for a few days. If you don't get a flat battery again then continue doing nothing (and thats what I do best). :lol:

Adrian

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

carry a spare battery and jumper leads with you, if it goes flat again, at least you can get it going.
just check the voltage at the alternator pos and negative then check battery pos and neg.
if there is a difference more than 0.5v, you might want to fit another wire same thinkness from the alternator positive to the battery positive.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]