At Racing Stroker kits??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: At Racing Stroker kits???
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF XR8 5spd

NSW, Australia

Hey guys, came across a 347 stroker setup on ebay, sold by at racing they seem very cheap ($1000) just wanting to know if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with them?

Josh

EF XR8 5spd: 302ci /178rwkw

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

Think about what you'd be getting for that money...

The crank may be ok in a low/moderate combo, likewise the rods, however the pistons are definately junk.

TE50 T1 P01

Post subject: stroker
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You get what you pay for :D

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

A bloke on ff.au is running a at racing crank in his clevo. It's either 393 or 408ci and it's making 560hp from memory with 185cc heads. If I remember correctly? He only got the crank and the crank tested and spec'd perfectly. It didn't need loads of $ to be fixed or anything.

XB Fairmont sedan 11.07@123.02mph

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:50 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

I have the 383 clevo kit.

The rods are SCAT and measure up perfectly and come with ARP 2000 series bolts. They did require nearly a full day of rubbing by hand on glass and wet n dry to get the side clearances right as they had 0 - 1thou. But I would much rather that than too much clearance. Thumbs up for the rods :)

Crank appears to be SCAT also...but mine needed a lot of work. Some journals were out of round and oversize. It also needed to be balanced. Everything is spot on now though. One interesting thing, there is supposed to be a step down on the snout that butts up against the timing gear to line it up with the cam gear. Problem is, it was machined square on mine so I had to get a hardened steel spacer made up with a chamfer and keyway....$100.

Pistons appear to be Probe. Needed a little finishing to remove swarf in the grooves and sharp edges of the valve reliefs, but have pleanty of meat where its needed. One other thing with the pistons. Mine were a 4.030" size with a metric ring groove. Imperial and metric, caused some troubles, I ended up getting some custom ones made up by perfect seal. Then we found the oil ring needed a rail to sit on...I think I made up a set of rings out of about 3 different sets...

So all in all, it is possible to get the kit to be spot on. But it will cost more than the cheap ebay price.

I think I spent the same amount getting everything right as if I had gone out and bought a full price SCAT kit from Repco.

Then again I may have just got a bad kit.

I have bought many other items from AT racing and never had any troubles.

Hope this helps.

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Just out of curiosity, Is the Blown clevo all done and running? Of so what sort of grunt is she putting out?

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:20 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

If there is no Scat brand name on the box they are likely rejected parts sold out the back door of the scat factory in China. That's what these places that sell cheap stuff do.
I've seen these with different throws,different journal sizes, wrong snout and flywheel boss dimensions and lightening holes drilled on the piss so badly the bearing surface is paper thin.
Personally I wouldn't touch this stuff with a barge pole!

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF XR8 5spd

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the replies guy's.

Josh

EF XR8 5spd: 302ci /178rwkw

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Personally I wouldn't touch this stuff with a barge pole!

I am with you on this mate, get a 4340 Scat/Bryant/Cola etc crank and Arias pistons/Venolia rods and forget having any dramas in your bottom end. You get what you pay for, and @6000 rpm a piston changes directions 100 times per second......

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:53 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Nope, still not on the road. Engine is all together and in the car. Getting the gearbox re-rebuilt now due to a set of soft synchro rings. Also getting a custom diff built. Its all fun :?

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]