Fordmods Logo

AU Fans and shroud on an EB 1991 XR8 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AU Fans and shroud on an EB 1991 XR8
Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB XR8

QLD, Australia

I was wandering if a fan shroud from an AU falcon will fit on the radiator of an EB 1991 XR8.

I am looking at doing a thermo fan conversion and wandering if the shrouds will fit straight on, or with a little modification.

Don't s**t where you eat

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:53 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

they dont fit but ,
ya better off with EF EL thermos , i got AU thermos in the EB just to keep it cool while moving it around home , the AU setup is taller then ef-el's ,
EL thermos would be the better choice

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB XR8

QLD, Australia

do the ef shrouds fit the EB radiator? Because i did see a pair of second hand EL or EF fans and shroud on Ebay.

Or should i just get new Davies Craig fans and make my own shroud (well dad will make it lol)

Btw should i get two 10" or two 12" for the XR8?

Don't s**t where you eat

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

EF/EL thermos will go straight in and unless you are running a hevily modified engine I would just stick with them.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Some people have also recommended 14" ( i think) volvo thermo fans. They're meant to work fairly well on the early e series falcon apparently. There is more information floating about on www.thepurplecircle.com
Might be in the for sale section, or in the vehicle mods section.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yea but the E.L fans bolt straight in...Check top side of radiator there is a resses to take bolt head..The bottom of fan sits in clip where shroud fitted into...It looks std...All that is needed is a thermo switch and relay....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

What is the best temp to set the switch to turn the fan on? I have a Davies Craig fan and thermostat switch

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Faircon wrote:
What is the best temp to set the switch to turn the fan on? I have a Davies Craig fan and thermostat switch

do you realise the davies craig fans are not designed to be used as the primary radiator fan?

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:12 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Well I have been using a 16" Davies Craig for a few months now and it has been working fine. I have 2 relays with one controlling the fan when the AC comes on and the other works off the thermatic switch. I'm just concerned about the coming summer months and wanted to know what would be the best water temp to have the fan come on when not using the AC? To date I have adjusted the switch so it comes on about midway in the normal range of the temp gauge which it rarely reaches in this cool weather, but in summer I spose it should come on sooner, no?

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
do you realise the davies craig fans are not designed to be used as the primary radiator fan?

I have used davies craig fans for 6 or 7 years on mine and had no problems at all, they flow tons more than the EF/EL ones and keep my engine nice and cool. I used the ones the DC Tech guys recommended as replacement units for the standard clutch fan, but there are also some other ones which are only designed as helper fans.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB GLi S2

VIC, Australia

just a quick question i was wondering if there was a tech support on the instalaiation of the thermos into an ea-ed or anythingusing the ef el thermos

it aint over till its over......

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: NC fairlane + f150 4X4

VIC, Australia

I put el thermo's on my nc fairlane and needed to trim the shroud slightlybut they look right when there''re in. (NC has same radiator as EB) the el fans draw a lot of current on startup and the lights dip when they come on I'm gonna do a litle rc circuit to wait 1sec for the second fan eventually.

If mistakes are the best way to learn why the hell arn't I a freekin genius yet.

I AM THE SPELLING KING BEHOLD MY
ineqati-inekwati-enequoati.....crapness!

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

dalesf150 wrote:
I put el thermo's on my nc fairlane and needed to trim the shroud slightlybut they look right when there''re in. (NC has same radiator as EB) the el fans draw a lot of current on startup and the lights dip when they come on I'm gonna do a litle rc circuit to wait 1sec for the second fan eventually.

Hey dalesf150 I have a question for you because you have a NC Fairlane. Is yours a V8? If so can you tell me where the round bar bracket is bolted onto your engine please.
I've just rebuilt and assembled my V8 but can't remember where this bracket came off :-(
It has a couple of curves and flattened ends with slotted holes and is painted black. Thanks for your help.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:02 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: NC fairlane + f150 4X4

VIC, Australia

Faircon wrote:
Hey dalesf150 I have a question for you because you have a NC Fairlane. Is yours a V8? If so can you tell me where the round bar bracket is bolted onto your engine please.
It has a couple of curves and flattened ends with slotted holes and is painted black.

g'day cobber
just went out n pulled the engine cover off.cant see anything that fits your description. i assume it is a bracket made from bar not a bracket to hold a bar. it sound like the brace in the truck that goes from the sump bolt down to the bell housing but my nc has a cast webbed one.

i havn't modded mine much yet but anyone else with an 8 will be able to help you as i'm pretty sure everything in the engine bay's the same as the porrer models. good luck

If mistakes are the best way to learn why the hell arn't I a freekin genius yet.

I AM THE SPELLING KING BEHOLD MY
ineqati-inekwati-enequoati.....crapness!

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yeah I have the alloy brace too that you describe, but this round bar brace came off too. I thought it had something to do with supporting the alternator but can't see how :-(

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next