Fordmods Logo

AU SERIES 1 5.0 

Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: AU SERIES 1 5.0
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR8

VIC, Australia

Hi guys I've recently acquired a '99 series 1 AU Fairlane Ghia with the 5.0 engine.
It's on dual fuel (soon to be removed and eventually tuned for 98) and I'd like a bit more poke out of the (175kW?) standard engine. I have a friend with 1.72 ratio Crane roller rockers/pushrods he's offered (will they fit, ie, straight bolt on??) and I have a K&N pod filter in the garage I'll custom fit into the airbox.
Everything else is stock standard.
I'd like bolt-on advice that will actually work and also recommendations on what else to do such as gearing and transmission mods, tuning tricks etc...
I don't want or need a track monster but a little more ooph and sound would be perfect.
If this has been addressed then my apologies, I can't find anything...
Cheers for now,
Craig.

Post subject: Re: AU SERIES 1 5.0
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BFII Super Pursuit

SA, Australia

Are the rockers for the gt40p head configuration?

It really all depends on your budget.

Cheapest option is;
Extractors, exhaust plus j3 chip will give you more poke.
No to pod filter but get an xr8 intake.

Now things get pricey;
If you start talking rockers you need to start thinking cams and your 9.1 compression coupled with an auto will limit how aggressive you can go.

If the 1.7's fit, a camshaft from the series 2 au xr8 would give you great down-low torquey kind of power, otherwise comp cams are the way to go for more power.

It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.
-Bill Hicks

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:38 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Ahh cool cheers for the link, SWC!

Hey LITTLEFOOT yep the rockers are off my mate's AU 220kW XR8.
I have access to a 70mm throttle body but apparently I need to machine my intake so no real use?
I'm on the lookout for some Pacemakers and I'll prolly knock up a single 3" exhaust.
First I'm going to replace fuel filter, spark plugs and leads to get a baseline after the LPG is removed. I need to make a new intake pipe up as the LPG conversion did away with the factory stuff. Was just going to use some 3"-3.5" piping and make a box for the pod filter.
I've also got access to a cold air pipe that has the Tickford logo stamped into it. It's it of any difference/benefit to the factory V8 one?
Cheers for the replies. .

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Cool, as long as you have iron gt40'p heads they should fit but as I mentioned, you'd need to look at lifters, springs and cam to make it worthwhile.

The best of the 5.0's were the 220's (with the exception of the 5.6 stroker) They had bigger valves and some "high tech ford" port matching (actually very crude lol).

Budget build; I'd forget rockers (keep them aside until you're ready as it's heaps of work)
Focus on exhaust, extractors and chip that should net you maybe 160 - 170 rwkw with a decent tuner and enjoyable street torque.

If you get more serious you can get some alloy heads which will give you heaps more than GT40Ps. Then do a big throttle body and get it on a dyno.

TBH I gave up on the 302 after driving a dart stroker 6.0L. Don't get me wrong, it was really cool, sounded awesome and was a true blue ford streeter... but the money it cost to build it and you'd get the same from a raptor supercharger just made me think there are better options.

If you've got 5-6K you could probably build a 200- 220rwkw N/A if you do the work yourself, do your own fab work and get a good deal on some alloy heads. Thats what I budgeted before I dropped the project and went Boss (which funnily enough has its own set of limitations lol)

Ps the Rockers should be Yella Terra not Crane.
Also yes do the Tickford intake, its shape rams more air into the filter. (Think of a vortex)

-Bill Hicks

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Cool, as long as you have iron gt40'p heads they should fit but as I mentioned, you'd need to look at lifters, springs and cam to make it worthwhile.

The best of the 5.0's were the 220's (with the exception of the 5.6 stroker) They had bigger valves and some "high tech ford" port matching (actually very crude lol).

Budget build; I'd forget rockers (keep them aside until you're ready as it's heaps of work)
Focus on exhaust, extractors and chip that should net you maybe 160 - 170 rwkw with a decent tuner and enjoyable street torque.

If you get more serious you can get some alloy heads which will give you heaps more than GT40Ps. Then do a big throttle body and get it on a dyno.

TBH I gave up on the 302 after driving a dart stroker 6.0L. Don't get me wrong, it was really cool, sounded awesome and was a true blue ford streeter... but the money it cost to build it and you'd get the same from a raptor supercharger just made me think there are better options.

If you've got 5-6K you could probably build a 200- 220rwkw N/A if you do the work yourself, do your own fab work and get a good deal on some alloy heads. Thats what I budgeted before I dropped the project and went Boss (which funnily enough has its own set of limitations lol)

Ps the Rockers should be Yella Terra not Crane.
Also yes do the Tickford intake, its shape rams more air into the filter. (Think of a vortex)

-Bill Hicks

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

(Venturi**) sorry.
Although when I've heard two engineers arguing over whether or not intake is causing a venturi effect (and if in-fact its even necessary in the intake) I have no idea. I just base it on the fact that car companies spend a fortune on airflow R&D for optimum performance and I don't think they ever come back from testing holding a pod filter and going "boys... the answer was at Sprints Autoparts all along" haha.

-Bill Hicks

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:19 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

why tune on 98 for???

unless you up the compression to take advantage of the higher octane fuel its not worth it

ohh and gas has a higher octane rating that 98 :P

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Littlefoot wrote:
(Venturi**) sorry.
Although when I've heard two engineers arguing over whether or not intake is causing a venturi effect (and if in-fact its even necessary in the intake) I have no idea. I just base it on the fact that car companies spend a fortune on airflow R&D for optimum performance and I don't think they ever come back from testing holding a pod filter and going "boys... the answer was at Sprints Autoparts all along" haha.

Haha cool. So should I try to find an XR8 air box as well or just adapt the Tickford snorkel to my existing one? I was going to put my K&N pod inside the box as it's free - had it sitting unused for ever...
So it's not just a case of bolting the Crane rollers on my motor and getting a small boost in power? My guy has assured me they're 1.72 but I guess he could be wrong. Doubt it though, as he builds motors for a crust...

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
why tune on 98 for???

unless you up the compression to take advantage of the higher octane fuel its not worth it

ohh and gas has a higher octane rating that 98 :P

Hi Frank. My car is bog stock and I only run 98 so tuning it to 98 will have a positive effect surely...
My tuner has told me to remove the LPG system as it's crap. Taxi stuff only. Not for performance. He did a heap of playing with his father's AU 5.0 Fairlane on 98 and got decent results out of few mods. It was all in the tuning.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:49 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Elepht70 wrote:
Littlefoot wrote:
(Venturi**) sorry.

Haha cool. So should I try to find an XR8 air box as well or just adapt the Tickford snorkel to my existing one? I was going to put my K&N pod inside the box as it's free - had it sitting unused for ever...
So it's not just a case of bolting the Crane rollers on my motor and getting a small boost in power? My guy has assured me they're 1.72 but I guess he could be wrong. Doubt it though, as he builds motors for a crust...

Airbox is the same for GLi to XR8, Snorkle is different.

You will get better flow with the factory panel filter over a Pod Filter.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:39 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

I thought only V8's got the bellmouth in the airbox?

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:47 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

NLGHIA5.0 wrote:
I thought only V8's got the bellmouth in the airbox?

only the xr8s have the alloy bellmouth in the airbox lid, std v8s like fairmon, ghia or futura got the std airbox lid..

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

I thought the bellmouth was only in the 220's

Std 200kw didnt have it - not that ive seen

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:30 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Not 100% sure on that. But my mates series1 xr8 had the alloy bellmouth. But it may have been fitted in the last 15 odd years..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next