AU V8 conversion information 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: AU V8 conversion information
Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

The time is coming where I have to make a move and give my AU a heart transplant. The more I think about it the more the 5.0 windsor seems like the perfect candidate.
The only problem is the cost of suitable AU engines, which are still fetching upwards of 4k at some wreckers. Considering the cost of E series engines being less than half of that, what are my options?
Can I fit an E series engine in there or does it have to be an AU build engine? If I can go with the E series option do I have to fit gt40p heads and the egr deleted explorer on it or will the stock e series stuff suffice.
I just want a by the book legal engine conversion.

Post subject: Re: AU V8 conversion information
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EA Falcon w/428cui, EB V8 Falcon

NSW, Australia

If it's by the book legal I don't think you can fit an E series engine in. it must be the same or newer than the current one to be by the books for emissions

Don't quote me on that one though

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

ashcook wrote:
I bought my complete AU2 5L manual ute damaged from auction for $2400. Best way to do a conversion if you want the lot. Sell what you don't need and make back some of your outlay as well.

+1 for that.

I converted my Ef wagon like this and its the only way to do it IMHO.

Who cares how it looks, power is everything, looks are for metrosexuals.....

Don't vote...it only encourages them.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

Either the RTA or an engineer should be able to tell you what is legal - whether the engine has to be same/later build date, same/later model car or just same/later emissions ADR.

Interested to see how you go. My I6 has had some really hard to find problems (I suspect somewhere in the loom) that changing almost all the sensors and ECU haven't fixed. The engine is getting a bit long in the tooth, but a like-for-like engine change may not fix the other hassles.

ATM I'm weighing up either an XR6T engine & gearbox retrofit, or an AU V8 transplant (with gearbox, ECU and loom) and then convert my Raptor kit to the V8 kit to give the Wheezer a bit more kick.

I think the V8 might be the cheaper option in my case as I won't need to spend big on heads, cam & intake. Just adding headers and higher-ratio rockers to the stocker will complement the blower while retaining stock idle and driveability.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

The thing is. the only difference between the AU 1 regular model V8 and an E series 8 is the explorer manifold, GT40p heads and matching headers, rockers, MAF, TB, Injectors, and EDIS (Electronic Distributor-less Ignition System, aka coil pack instead of a dizzy). In theory it should be a piece of pie to swap over the AU stuff onto the E series motor and once its running it should have the exact same emissions as a genuine low series AU V8 engine. If the RTA can't see that then this just confirms their lack of common sense.

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

i would just keep an eye out on ebay etc. i recently found an au v8 with auto and loom for just over 2g over here

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I'll have a near-complete 'stock' AU 5L soon... PM me

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

xcabbi wrote:
The thing is. the only difference between the AU 1 regular model V8 and an E series 8 is the explorer manifold, GT40p heads and matching headers, rockers, MAF, TB, Injectors, and EDIS (Electronic Distributor-less Ignition System, aka coil pack instead of a dizzy). In theory it should be a piece of pie to swap over the AU stuff onto the E series motor and once its running it should have the exact same emissions as a genuine low series AU V8 engine. If the RTA can't see that then this just confirms their lack of common sense.

Unfortunately you will find it will be a lack of common sense. The only way around it would be to have it emissions tested. (not cheap) the money would be better spent buying a wrecked AU XR8 at auction.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]