AU2 ex-cop vs AU2 XR8 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU2 V8

WA, Australia

cheersdude wrote:
Yeah I think it's just the head's that gave them the extra power too..

How are ya going noticing the petrol cost from a Mini to a V8 Falcon?

the Mini hardly ever got driven... when I sold it last week I'd only done 7000 miles in the 2 years since I did the engine up. It was supposed to be my regular transport for work, but was a bit impractical and became just a weekend toy. mostly drove the BA and the v8 doesn't seem much different to it in cost so far.

ex owner of a very addictive mildly modified '69 Mini Cooper S - best ET 16.6@80mph
now replaced with
AU2 V8 Forte
- Pacies + exhaust + XR8 17's + Tickford suspension

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8 & 06 4x4 Bravo

VIC, Australia

Cooper69s wrote:
mostly drove the BA and the v8 doesn't seem much different to it in cost so far.

Yeah, it'd be about the same to run as the BA..

'04 BA XR8
Winter White, 5 Speed Manual, Sports Leather, Premium Sound, 2 1/2" Cat Back Exh - no rear Mufflers, Lowered SL/SSL, 20's, Underdrives, BF Typhoon Rear Spoiler, GT Steering Wheel, etc.

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

downingj wrote:
As far as I am aware, it was all in the heads.

Cam, pistons, intake, etc etc are the same from 185-220 I believe...???

Heads were the same on the 175/185/200kw windsors. 220/250 had ported GT40P's with larger valve and smaller combustion chambers (for more static compression).

Cams were the same on 175/185, 200 had a different cam, and 220 a different cam again.

Intake was the same on 175/185/200, intake on 220 had a "match ported" lower to suit the ported 220kw heads.

There are a few more detail differences like rockers, valve springs, throttle bodys, extractors, and so on between the 175/185/200/220 windsors...

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

downingj wrote:
Cooper69s wrote:
The exhaust is sort of done, although i'm considering my options on making it quieter so i don't give my back-seat-car-pool-passengers a headache on the 80km drive to work. i was thinking that a 2.5" with a quality straight-through might be quieter and still flow just as well as the 3" tri-flow i've got now... I've got it booked in at Genie on saturday morning they reckon they'll take a look and give me some options.

but my main question was what exactly is different on the xr8 that gives it 25kw more than a stocky or 45kw more in the auIII, and what would be involved to do the same to mine?

G

Cam, tune, ported heads AFAIK.

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

YTMONT wrote:
downingj wrote:
Cooper69s wrote:
The exhaust is sort of done, although i'm considering my options on making it quieter so i don't give my back-seat-car-pool-passengers a headache on the 80km drive to work. i was thinking that a 2.5" with a quality straight-through might be quieter and still flow just as well as the 3" tri-flow i've got now... I've got it booked in at Genie on saturday morning they reckon they'll take a look and give me some options.

but my main question was what exactly is different on the xr8 that gives it 25kw more than a stocky or 45kw more in the auIII, and what would be involved to do the same to mine?

G

Cam, tune, ported heads AFAIK.

What the f**k is "AFAIK"??? :D

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

as far as i know. or, as far as you don't know :p.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU2 V8

WA, Australia

I was looking through the owner's manual & service guide yesterday and found out a bit more info... it says there's the basic 5L (175kW 395Nm), 5L High Output (185kW 412Nm) as well as the XR8 (200kW 420Nm). Anyway I was on the phone to Ford about something and asked the service guy if he knew what the difference was between the standard 175kW and the High Output 185kW motors are. his reply was that he thinks the High Output motor has a few more kilowatts than the standard one :roll: :lol: i thought thats amazing and tried to rephrase the question but he didn't really get it. The guy that sold me the car said it had the 'High Output' motor and i wasn't sure that there was such a thing but obviously there is but how to be sure that's what i've got i don't know... also went to Genie about getting a decent exhaust since the one i have is a real bitzer (some standard bits, a 3" muffler, and a bit of 3" pipe at the back) and they recommend 2.5" for the best sound and bottom end torque... so that'll probably happen in the next coupla weeks...

ex owner of a very addictive mildly modified '69 Mini Cooper S - best ET 16.6@80mph
now replaced with
AU2 V8 Forte
- Pacies + exhaust + XR8 17's + Tickford suspension

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

xr8ute wrote:
Heads were the same on the 175/185/200kw windsors. 220/250 had ported GT40P's with larger valve and smaller combustion chambers (for more static compression).

Cams were the same on 175/185, 200 had a different cam, and 220 a different cam again.

Intake was the same on 175/185/200, intake on 220 had a "match ported" lower to suit the ported 220kw heads.

There are a few more detail differences like rockers, valve springs, throttle bodys, extractors, and so on between the 175/185/200/220 windsors...

Yep that's what I heard.
The T-series camshafts were ground for Ford with the proviso that they meet the strict EPA requirements at that time.
T200 had a particular cam designed to work with the GT40P's, Explorer Intake etc.
T220 actually had a slightly less aggressive cam but the work done to the heads etc easily dealt with that and provided more power.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2