AUII V8 into a 1991 EB XR8 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AUII V8 into a 1991 EB XR8
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:26 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

Well I finally lashed out and bought a low km G220 signature engine from a wreck in Brisbane. Now I need to know what I need to do to retrofit it into the EB XR8.

It comes complete with the auto box, all accessories(alternator, A/C, PS, all the loom and the ECU)and was a steal at $1300. Only had 130000km on the clock and was rear ended so no damage to the front.

Where the heck do I start with the spaghetti that will be the loom and will there be any hidden issues with the install? I intend to keep the LPG system currently in my EB; however, will the manifold off my old engine fit on top of the newer G220 V8 one. It has the GT40P heads so I am thinking not which means I have to get someone to re-tap the new manifold to allow the LPG injector hoses. Also I dont think the Hi-tech headers will fit on the new motor either as the GT40P heads have a different spark plug angle or something.

Might have to strike a deal with the buyer to secure the exhaust headers off the G220 as well... :lol:

Any help appreciated.

Post subject: Re: AUII V8 into a 1991 EB XR8
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Are you sure its a motor from a G220?
They were BA series and are the 5.4 3V motor.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:34 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Sorry it is the AUII fairlaine(2002 model) and has the 220kw engine(??)

Here is what I have at the moment:

Hooroo

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:48 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

If it came out of an AU11 Fairlane then its only a 175kw engine, although its a better engine than what you've got, but its not a 220. They only came in xr8's.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:54 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Easiest way to pick a 220 is the Tickford wings engraved in the throttlebody, and a little plaque on the rocker cover with the engine builders name on it.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

As above, 220kw engine wasn't available in any Fairlane... So it will be the 175kw AU engine with GT40Ps, standard rockers, small TB & cam. Your headers should still fit but a couple of the plug leads may need altering. Also drill the new intake to accept the LPG system, if you bolt on the old manifold you may as well leave the old engine in there.

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

BOTTLEDUP wrote:
if you bolt on the old manifold you may as well leave the old engine in there.

+1

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Regrind the cam to a 220kW tickford profile but suited to your stock 1.6 ratio rockers. Upgrade springs, retainers & pushrods while you're at it. Then you will get close to 220kW for a minimal investment of cash. If you select springs that can take an extra 40 thou lift you can even upgrade to 1.7 ratio rockers in the future.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:43 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Excellent guys - muchos grassy a***.

IT has a Tickford signature plate on the rocker cover so will have to follow this up with the owner when I pick it up. I would like a hand made engine me thinks. No biggie if this has to be done - will get Hansens here in Toowoomba to tap it and do the work before I plonk it in. I just have to work out where the LPG installer punched the wiring loom into the ECU - might be another thing for the mechanic to work out.

Hooroo

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:51 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Could just pull a rocker cover off and see if its got roller rockers. Only 200 and 220 kw engines got them afaik.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:20 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
Excellent guys - muchos grassy a***.

IT has a Tickford signature plate on the rocker cover so will have to follow this up with the owner when I pick it up. I would like a hand made engine me thinks. No biggie if this has to be done - will get Hansens here in Toowoomba to tap it and do the work before I plonk it in. I just have to work out where the LPG installer punched the wiring loom into the ECU - might be another thing for the mechanic to work out.

Hooroo

If it has the Tickford signature plate it's either a 200 or a 220. Sure it came out of a Fairlane? Or maybe the fairlane had an engine transplant?

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

sd1800 wrote:
If it has the Tickford signature plate it's either a 200 or a 220. Sure it came out of a Fairlane? Or maybe the fairlane had an engine transplant?

Or someone retro fitted a set of the XR rocker covers to the standard donk!!!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:50 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

philaddis wrote:
sd1800 wrote:

Or someone retro fitted a set of the XR rocker covers to the standard donk!!!

Well the seller called and it has roller rockers and the covers were original to the engine. Seems it was a transplant from another car so I am pleasantly happy and money well spent. Will be picking it up Sunday so plan to have a week-end transplanting it into the EB. Smiles from ear to ear let me tell you!!!

Hooroo

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:31 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Hey there all,

Just to update the thread. The engine is confirmed a signature assembled one through ford and the engine number. I have fully stripped it down to nothing but have a question... The cam in this particular engine has no number but just a "TF" or could be a "TE" and a series of xxxxxxxx around the shaft adjacent to the distributor drive. Done anyone know what cam this is?

The roller rockers are a mess and the roller is near on seized on most of them so have bought new crow roller rockers at the 1.7 ratio. New valve springs are on order as some here reckon replace them as a matter of course if you are going to a higher ratio. The block is away being cleaned and a rebore to .030 to fit the new pistons(ford items as I couldn't wait...)and new rods. The amount of gunk in the engine was unbelievable and was neglected through no oil changes I reckon. The lifters are new as well as new cages to hold them in place. Was thinking of a strokes but just could see my fuel bill going up accordingly so left it as is with a .030 overbore.

I found a huge gouge in number three main bearing about 4mm in from the front edge so some grit has made its way into the bearing material and stuffed it. Crank is also being refinished to .010 to eliminate any issues. I found all the bearings had minimal wear but the copper was showing through on some of them so I hope the linish will fix this. A new power bond balancer is replacing the crank fire one for the au.

All up about 1200 bucks so far...not too bad. Any help with the cam ID would be appreciated.

Hooroo

Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:56 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Anyone?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next