Fordmods Logo

Awesome looking intake idea, but will it work? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Awesome looking intake idea, but will it work?
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:42 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU-XR8

NSW, Australia

No doubt a lot of you have seen this intake idea but I saw it for the first time the other day and want to do it to my car unless you guys know if it's detremental to performance.

Basically there were 4 trumpets cut right thru the bumper just below the passenger light horizontally on a BA Pursuit ute. Im not sure wether the air filter had been moved to face these trumpets or if some kind of pipe drew/pushed air to the standard pod but it looked killer and surely it'd have a ram effect at high speeds.

Any thoughts? Would this work?

She'd be a lot more modded if I didn't have to keep wasting cash on repairs.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Got any pics mate?

IIRC you need to be doing 150mph (241km/hr) to create 0.4psi via a ram-air system, give or take intake inefficiencies.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Got any pics mate?

IIRC you need to be doing 150mph (241km/hr) to create 0.4psi via a ram-air system, give or take intake inefficiencies.

Pressure may not be there but the volume sure is :D

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:59 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF XR6

QLD, Australia

haha lol it might be his air horns that play "little dixie"

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Here is an interesting test by Planet Soarer members.
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/co ... etest.html

Basically any pressure is good, it is far better than negative air pressure which is normal for intakes, just don't expect the performance increase of a turbo or supercharger.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
In regards to my previous post.
We need some members to run some similar tests on X series, E series, AU and BA, Autospeed has an interesting article on positive pressure intake and how to find areas that are positive, not negative pressure.
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0629
(We need someone with current subscription, and I did not save the pages when they had PDF format.)

It would be good to see some tests of the sequential intake, shaker (new and old style on any series Falcon), factory snorkels, SS intakes, pod filters, drain pipe and any other home made or aftermarket intakes etc.

Like everything at Autospeed, do not take it as fact, research and make your own mind up if they are correct, as they do publish many incorrect specifications, which would be easy to correctly publish i.e. Car models, engine specs etc for Australian Fords and GMH, if they can get these wrong, how many other things have they got wrong. I used to be a member until I found too many incorrect publications; you can get incorrect web publications free, so why pay for it.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

One thing to consider.

Sure you may only get 0.1 - 0.4 psi increase. So instead of about 14psi(atmospheric pressure), you get 14.1psi. Not much of a big deal huh?

Wrong! You see, if you don't have a ram air intake system, the engine has to do ALL the sucking and you only end up with about 12-13psi @ the intake.

So you're not really getting a 0.1psi increase, you're getting a 1.1 - 2.1psi increase, or something similar.

Ram air intakes have been proved throughout the ages to give more power, and a lot more power than a measly 0.1/14 * 100 = 0.71%. Of course you're not going to get 2.1/14 * 100 = 15% either unfortunately.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
One thing to consider.

Sure you may only get 0.1 - 0.4 psi increase. So instead of about 14psi(atmospheric pressure), you get 14.1psi. Not much of a big deal huh?

Wrong! You see, if you don't have a ram air intake system, the engine has to do ALL the sucking and you only end up with about 12-13psi @ the intake.

So you're not really getting a 0.1psi increase, you're getting a 1.1 - 2.1psi increase, or something similar.

Ram air intakes have been proved throughout the ages to give more power, and a lot more power than a measly 0.1/14 * 100 = 0.71%. Of course you're not going to get 2.1/14 * 100 = 15% either unfortunately.

I agree with you, but everyone has to do their homework, jamming an intake in the wrong spot can cause negative pressure, or the design could be restrictive, i.e. slightly positive pressure with throttle off but highly negative with throttle on due to restrictive setup.

I am pretty sure one of the members tested the sequential intake on his Falcon using a pressure switch, he got positive results but I don't think he measured the pressure, can't remember who, that was on FM1, not FM2.

It would be interesting to make a manometer and actually test the pressure between all setups, also measure ambient temperature, barometric pressure, intake temp, Gtech or similar for comparisons and any other readings I have missed. :lol:

There will be constant changes in the weather etc and that would effect the overall results, so the more data taken the better.

Dyno testing would be a waste of time except for air box flow without ram effect, some setups i.e. sequential scoop, various hood scoops, including shaker type will be effected by bonnet being commonly open for dyno testing, these will all pickup hot air that they will normally be sealed from.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU-XR8

NSW, Australia

Yeh i wasnt looking for a big performance increase etc,I just thought it looked sick. i was just wondering if it would make a decrease effect as said above by creating a restriction or negative pressure.

the only probs i can think of is if it's set up wrong it will most likely decrease air flo and during heavy rain it's more then likely water will be forced up the tubes onto the air cleaner

She'd be a lot more modded if I didn't have to keep wasting cash on repairs.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: xy faker, baxr6t

NSW, Australia

From all the stuffing around I have done with my intake. I can say that the hole in the bonnet is worth it... a lot. The difference it makes is very noticable. The fact that my car is also on gas means that it is always getting the cold air that it needs. The heat under the bonnet would kill it if the shaker wasnt there.

And ebbs, as for the water, it has never been an issue for me. My intake will effectively suck any rain straight into the engine. It has never caused me problems.

Keep Australia Beautiful. Drive a Ford.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]