Fordmods Logo

BA GT Rev Limiter removal??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: BA GT Rev Limiter removal???
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Has anyone removed or changed the rev limiter on a BA GT? A friend of mine has one that seems to cutt off at 5500revs. He's not happy with the cut off point. I sit possible to change this or dis-engage it?
regards
Greg

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 221 rwkw

ACT, Australia

The cut out is about 5,900 rpm but you can get a unichip or other chips that will move the cut out to about 6,300rpm. but i do not really advise sittin up that high to often as we have had a boss 260 motor in that had this done and he put a piston through the side of the block. There were metel shavins everywhere and we toke the oil filter off to c what it was like and coolant came out of it.

ED XR6 manual for sale. MOMO steering wheel and alot of extra's. PM for more info.

BA XR6 Turbo- 238.8rwkw

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:00 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

griffo161 wrote:
you can get a unichip or other chips

Don't waste time with a chip.
Go straight for the Edit, which modifies the factory ECU, and pick up some power at the same time.
CAPA, Herrod and a few others do them, each with differing names.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XTS, BF Xr6 Turbo Ute

QLD, Australia

i was always under the understanding that ford will remove the rev limiter for you, but will at the same time void your warranty. Another person told me that the rev limiter is controlled by the computer on BA's, which if you remove the cluster there is a single blue wire that if you snip will automatically remove the rev limiter . . . . not sure hwo true this is but the guy who told me swore he had seen it done. Either he is full of s**t or I just found out some great info :? Anyone know if this is right?

Ford Fan: Since 1987 - Born a Blue Oval Supporter!

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

was this person a p****d pub mechanic?

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XTS, BF Xr6 Turbo Ute

QLD, Australia

mrnasty wrote:
was this person a p****d pub mechanic?

lets just say it is very possible . . . . but i thought i would mention it just incase he maye fluked the answer. I take it u disagree?

Ford Fan: Since 1987 - Born a Blue Oval Supporter!

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

well i cant say im an expert on anything that relates to wiring in a car but i'd be under the assumption that simply cutting a wire would not disable a rev limiter, or everyone would do it.

also i dont think you can simply snip wires going to the ECU, as they all go there for a reason, and there are failsafe systems implemented in the ECU such as limp home mode, which will most likely be activated when a wire is snipped as an error code will peobably be sent to the ECU as the ECU will no longer see the rev limiter, which imposes danger on the motor due to over revving it, and kapoop. no more boss290

And also i think most rev limiters are computer controlled. If they were mechanical they would be much easier to bypass.

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:41 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

mrnasty wrote:
well i cant say im an expert on anything that relates to wiring in a car but i'd be under the assumption that simply cutting a wire would not disable a rev limiter, or everyone would do it.

also i dont think you can simply snip wires going to the ECU, as they all go there for a reason, and there are failsafe systems implemented in the ECU such as limp home mode, which will most likely be activated when a wire is snipped as an error code will peobably be sent to the ECU as the ECU will no longer see the rev limiter, which imposes danger on the motor due to over revving it, and kapoop. no more boss290

And also i think most rev limiters are computer controlled. If they were mechanical they would be much easier to bypass.

Quite right,
The limiter is in the calibration so cutting wires to the crank encoder is the only way to stop the PCM from knowing the RPM. If the PCM can't see the crank angle it won't fire the injectors or the coils!
You'd need to reflash the calibration via the SCT flash tuner.
Barry from BPT is who I'd suggest because he'd also be able to give you a superior calibration for the rest of the operating range of the engine.

Pete.

Post subject: Re: BA GT Rev Limiter removal???
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T

tsopanos wrote:
Has anyone removed or changed the rev limiter on a BA GT? A friend of mine has one that seems to cutt off at 5500revs. He's not happy with the cut off point. I sit possible to change this or dis-engage it?
regards
Greg

the edit is the way to go, get it custom tuned, i know of someone through another forum who has a GT with about 270rwkw with a cat back exhaust and an edit and it does sound tuff!!
i have also heard that the Boss motors dont like to rev much higher than about 5500-6000rpm... any truth is this?

300+rwkw HeadsexTuned XR6 Turbo Ute *NOW SOLD :(*
MK Triton with 31" muddies, 2" lift and 3" turbo back exhaust etc...

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

It's more to do with the bore / stroke relationship (bore= 90.2mm, stroke = 105.8mm) and piston speed....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]