Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: BA XR8 5sp v EB 5.0 auto
Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

this will look a no brainer and the end result is the obvious.

my eb is the eb in question. to back up its performance i have beaten a 99 rex by fair margin and pulling away, r33 skyline - close but gaining and vy sv8 so you see it goes not to bad. prolly good for a low to mid 14 1/4. this thread is more about the xr8. my workmate has just bought one. he is an ex holden nut. one of his mates bought an xr6t and took him for a spin and he was real impressed. not just the performance but the overall package. he then went on the search for one but couldn't find the right deal but instead ended up with xr8 5sp. already has full s/s zorst. only 45000km and only 23k. dyno showed 225rwkw so very healthy example. $400 later spent on bolt on intake mods there is a noticeable diff. mods include 'powerpipe'. goes from airbox to throttlebody and he has adapted the xr6t snorkel to the airbox same as the bpt setup.

back to the drags, in stock form you would think my eb would be fairly close but this xr8 goes hard considering the minor mods. first time was about 3 car lengths to about 100kph but then the gap was maintained. 2nd opportunity was a bit better on my part but still behind by 1 -2 lengths.

needless to say he would have to be in the 13's i reckon which is pretty good. ppl say you can't get power without spending big money and i was of that same thinking but this proves otherwise.

not sure if there is a point to this. just sharing my experience. those with xr8's who haven't adapted the xr6t snorkel. it is very cheap and does make a noticeable difference. check the bpt site for more info or do it yourself with bits bought from bunnings totalling $4 plus snorkel.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF XR8 & 2002 GSXR-1000

WA, Australia

225rwkw is a mighty impressive figure for those sort of mods. Should pull an easy 13.

The fast fun: Suzuki GSXR1000
The one I use when I can't use the fast fun: Blown EF XR8

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

In the case of a BA XR8 compared to an EB V8 the BA has some significant advantages;
The BA has very good heads std....the EB does not.
The BA has 330ci...the EB does not.
The BA has a pretty good exhaust to start with but 4valve heads like minimal exhaust restriction so an aftermarket exhaust makes quite a difference.....the EB is just ok.
The Intake is not restrictive on a BA....you know the story with an EB.
So you see with a 5.0 you spend your money just getting to where a 5.4 starts from.
BTW my wifes auto XR6T does 13.9's/14.0's @104mph dead stock.

Cheers,
Pete.

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:16 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

Don't forget the EB has about a 350kg advantage regardless of what is done to the engines or gearing on either car!!

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

it wasn't really about my car although i think it goes ok considering it still runs e7 heads and std intake manifold. they are ported but probably still not as good as the gt40 version etc. i was mainly just telling a story and being impressed by the speed of the ba with very minor mods. i would think it is a pretty healthy example.

as far as comparing a eb to a ba.... you just can't. it was just a catchy thread title :wink:

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

Kilma wrote:
225rwkw is a mighty impressive figure for those sort of mods. Should pull an easy 13.

Would be a fairly high 13 with that sort of weight.

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

I have spent no more than $2000 on my BA XR8, and it has just broken into the 12's with consistant 12.9-13.3 second 1/4s, and I am yet to fit the headers.

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

thats awesome value for money. mind telling me what your mods are. workmate is looking at forced induction but if you can get into the 12's for 2k then he'll be very keen to hear what will give that sort of pace. i reckon if he upgrades the diff to 3.7 or 3.9 and plays with the cams he'll be there but thats going to crack the 2k barrier me thinks.

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

you don't need to do much at all, the air filter to BMC pod then make up a snorkel to replace the stock rubber one, I have opened up the housing at the front to 3/4 the size of the centre and cut back on the top 4" to let air into the back a bit more, I have used TR6 plugs with.038'' gap, colder thermostat, upgraded exhaust to a single 3'', and a few little secrets of my own to give me 352hp at the treads, but the cams are GT 290 as are the heads being the cobra R straight port units.
It shocks a lot of people that try to give it a run!
and the diff is still stock with 3.47:1, but would be better with 3.9 as I have the 6 speed box

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I would also highly reccomend a custom tune, using a ford FLASHER, this is good for up to 50 kw at the flywheel. without doubt the best $ spent

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

already has bmc filter and has adapted the xr6t snorkel into the airbox so has dual air entry. this made a real noticeable gain. do the gt's run diff heads as well as cams? also with the flash tuner, no one garauntee's him it will make much of a diff. $1500 for maybe 10 - 20rwkw isn't great value. does the tuner enable you to bounce off the limiter or does it still cut in the same. at the moment it just cuts fuel and spark and dies. seems to cut in while still making good power.

can't believe your power with such minor work. gotta be happy with that. how did you get cams and heads done so cheap?

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

the custom tune you speak of. is that the capa flash tuner?

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

the limiter is changed to a soft touch type, mine is now set at 6500rpm & can be set anywhere you want ,although the engine drops off after 6300 and is pointless to keep going.
As for cam/heads, they were installed at the factory as it has an FPV engine fitted.
15-20 rwkw for $1500 is pretty good value as you can tune to every bolt on you add, it is not only going to produce 15-20 kw ,but give up to 30kw down lower where they need it to get off the mark.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]