Fordmods Logo

BA XR8 DIFF & STALLY 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: BA XR8 DIFF & STALLY
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FALCON XR8

QLD, Australia

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could tell me what diff the XR is running, I thought it would be a borgy but when enquiring about some 4.10’s got told that it is a Dana and that 4.10’s were not available that I had to change whole diff.

Also punktured I noticed that in a previous thread that you said 4.10’s and 3000 stall for auto 4 speed would be about $1900 could you please tell me where to get these from very interested at that price.

Also thinking of doing underdrive pullies, what do you think? Do I have to do the oil pump gears when I do the underdrives or is it more a precaution measure so you that they will be all right?

Any info would great thanks Mick. 8-)

Edited by Macca, changed from upper case to lower case

Post subject: Re: BA XR8 DIFF & STALLY
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:02 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

G'day Mick,

The diff is an 86 series Dana. Dana bought out Borg warner so it is really a borgy, although the 86 only came along after Dana took over.
Like the old 78 series borgies in most older falcons the number refers to the ring gear size in inches. So it's an 8.6" ring gear, unfortunately it's still a cone type LSD. The lowest gear Ive heard of is 3.73 but I believe an aftermarket gear in 3.9 and 4.1 was due to be available. I can't remember who was doing this? Anyone?
You don't need to change pump gears when using U/D pulleys. It's probably a case of while the balancer is off.....
You need to be sure to follow the torque procedure for the crank bolt exactly or a loose encoder wheel could result.
BTW take the caps lock off...people will think you're yelling :wink:

Pete.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:19 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

BTW....Talk to Simon at Allfast torque converters in Perth about the stall.

Pete.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks Pete, got told today that the 4.10's come out of the ford territoy and that gears and stally =tune as well so need to save some more and sorry about caps new to this wasn't sure how to edit. Going to Yella Terra site to have a gander at the whipple set up they have, has anyone got one ,can you tell me if your happy with it if so. Mick.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:49 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Check out BPT for the M122 eaton setup...it's better than the whipple.
And while you're there check out the new Sniper tuning gear.

Cheers,
Pete.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA 3v ute

VIC, Australia

Hey Mick, my bad on that price :oops: Its just for the 4.10 LSD, 3000 stall is around $1500 by memory. If you need more info on it or anything for your BOSS talk to Craig from Aussie Car Enhancements and for your supercharging thoughts have a chat to Chris at Bluepower, pretty sure he uses Kenne Bell blowers and makes some tough cars!

www.bseries.com.au/punktured

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

The M86 does not have cone clutches but a "multiplate oil bath" assembly. Sounds like a similar setup to the old Ford 9" diff.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:

Cheers,
Pete.

Curious why the roots M122 is better than the Whipple?

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:34 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Macca wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:

Cheers,
Pete.

It shouldn't be but testing has shown the whipple heats up the air too much. The Eaton is more efficient and has much lower outlet temp.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Macca wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:

Cheers,
Pete.

It shouldn't be but testing has shown the whipple heats up the air too much. The Eaton is more efficient and has much lower outlet temp.

Weird how a screw type is less efficient and heats up air worse than a roots, size for size there has to be a problem there, has Whipple had any reply to this problem.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:57 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Macca wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:
Macca wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:

Cheers,
Pete.

Weird how a screw type is less efficient and heats up air worse than a roots, size for size there has to be a problem there, has Whipple had any reply to this problem.

I don't know if there has been any response from whipple about this. They may not have been told and may not even care? I believe the Autorotor(that kenne bell uses) does not have the same problems.
The Eaton is actually a hybrid rootes/screw type (vanes have a 60 degree twist)which is why it is so very efficient.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
I don't know if there has been any response from whipple about this. They may not have been told and may not even care? I believe the Autorotor(that kenne bell uses) does not have the same problems.
The Eaton is actually a hybrid rootes/screw type (vanes have a 60 degree twist)which is why it is so very efficient.

I spotted in pictures that the new Eaton's look closer to a screw type (I have had real GM blowers apart, but not for performance reasons LOL), I didn't realise that it improved the efficiency to closer to true screw type.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks to all for great info. you guys really know your s**t. I live in QLD unfortunately and its hard to find anyone up here to just tune the car never mind ask these kind of questions to, I have major trust issues and I don't even want to marry them. But seriously very hard to find a good ford bloke up here that has a good rep. and that you can trust with your baby. Makes life kind of hard. I wont to beat my younger brothers six speed VY2 SS not looking good at this stage. The dunnydore is just so easy to get good horesies out of NOT HAPPY JAN, never mind I 'll keep trying. Thanks again guys .

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:41 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

It's certainly possible to beat your brothers boat anchor but the question is.... What has your brother done to his?
They are several bolt ons that will get your XR happening but do you want to just beat his or have a knockout punch?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

XR9UTE he hasn't really done to much to it , he has plumded in a second air intake put a hsv air intake tube on it had his throttle body cleaned up not larger just taken the lip out and has a K&N and twin 21/2 cat back reback system. He is now going to put hsv headers off a 300 kw with high flow cats. I have plumded a tickford second air intake(had one of my last car) B.M.C pod air filter cat back twin 21/2 supercat system and generic flash tune. Now saying that his is man. mine is auto so we are running exactally the same gears but man. verses auto.And to answer the second question just to beat him right now would be good , little brothers who needs them . Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next