Fordmods Logo

BA XR8 on LPG 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: BA XR8 on LPG
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:23 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the Barra V8 runs OK on LPG? My XC clevo ran like a charm for years on gas but I heard somewhere that Ford are not keen on running LPG in the latest V8's.

Cheers

Mike

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

when i was in adelaide about 2 years ago i met a bloke who installs lpg onto BA's ,it was a real simple mod but cost about 3g if the name comes to me ill tell ya.
cheers

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

try calling around.. gra, etc.. not common!

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

yeah try GRA (Gas Research Australia) they should be able to do something for you, they do some good perofrmance gas systems

http://www.gasresearch.com.au

4 cylinders are like chinese food, few minutes after you have them you just want more!

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:25 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the responses, I will definately try GRA when the time comes. I'm not so much looking for who can do the work, but more interested in whether the new V8's are as suited to running on gas as the old Clevo's were. As I said, I had heard that Ford did not recommend running the new units on LPG for some reason, but can't see any reason why.
Is there anyone out there who is running a BA V8 on gas?

Cheers

Mike

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Cost cutting that's why. Its too much of a b**ch to source all these parts when the general public won't go out and buy them in droves. Most people buying XR8's now are holden converts who think that LPG is the evil of horsepwer and reliability. Why teach them otherwise when the customer is always right....NOT!

That's why ford got rid of their taxi packs. Its still a taxi pack but in thin disquise. The only thing you don't get is the vinyl interior. But that is a no cost option.

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Cost cutting that's why. Its too much of a b**ch to source all these parts when the general public won't go out and buy them in droves. Most people buying XR8's now are holden converts who think that LPG is the evil of horsepwer and reliability. Why teach them otherwise when the customer is always right....NOT!

That's why ford got rid of their taxi packs. Its still a taxi pack but in thin disquise. The only thing you don't get is the vinyl interior. But that is a no cost option.

Huh????

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I was just answering your question as to why ford does not reccomend LPG on its barra V8's. If they reccomended it then it would be a factory option. But its not cause its a b**ch to implement. Get where I'm coming from?

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:03 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ford will not warrent any lpg convesrion done to thier FPV/XR range,
hence the reason you cant get them from factory with gas . .

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks xcabbi, I see where you are coming from, but I am coming from a slightly different direction.
I understand that Ford don't offer factory gas, and therefore won't warrant any aftermarket conversions. That's not what I am asking. There would be all sorts of reasons why Ford don't offer factory gas, with the bean counters probably way out in front (can't sell enough to recoup the cost of engineering, testing etc).
That's not the same as saying the engine/car is not able to run reliably on LPG if it is professionally fitted with a suitable system.
I haven't seen any V8 BA's getting around on LPG yet, and was wondering if there actually was a mechanical or other reason why you shouldn't convert them to gas.

Cheers

Mike

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

It can be done but people are not doing it cause you void your warranty as soon as you do. A bloke in wollongong has a BA XR8 taxi and he is planning to get it converted to gas as soon as the warranty period expires.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]